ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2005 ES Tail Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-15, 05:13 PM
bodkin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2005 ES Tail Light Issue

So, I've been having an issue with my taillights that I'm not quite sure how to fix. To explain, my tail lights both went out a few days ago. I checked the tail light fuse, and noticed it was blown, and when I replaced it, the new fuse blew right away. I assumed the next easiest step would be to try and replace the relay, but my owner's manual contains very limited information on relays... I can't figure out which relay controls the tail lights, or where it is located. Is the relay likely to be the problem? Any advice?
Old 08-04-15, 06:46 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had something similar happen to me on my 99 Camry when I installed CanBus LED bulbs in the inner tail lights.

At first I used standard led wedge bulbs 168/192 ones, worked fine but the stupid bulb out message would come on....

I thought I'd try Canbus LED bulbs to see if it would get rid of the message. it didn't get rid of the message immediately but I simply ignored it, kept driving, eventually the message went away (whoohoo right?) One night took a short drive to a local walmart (a few blocks away) on the way back, I get pulled over by a cop? wth right? wasn't doing anything wrong... so I figure.

Cop with the bigger than life attitude comes out says "Your rear tail lights don't work, I was like huh? really?" Cop says come out here and look for yourself, I didn't quite hear him and then he starts yelling "What you don't know how to listen to instructions?" so I get out and look, yeah the tail lights are out alright... I tell him I live down the street and going to take it home now.

He replies it's up to you it's a 75 dollar ticket, Im like Im just gonna go down, he doesn't stop me so I just go home.

long story short, I replaced the bulbs back to stock and fixed the burnt fuse, no problem.

Maybe you should check your bulbs to see if they aren't shorting out your fuse.
Old 08-04-15, 06:50 PM
bodkin
Driver School Candidate

Good idea... however, I've still got the stock lights. They're both fine, as far as I can tell. No broken filaments on any of them. Any other suggestions?
Old 08-04-15, 06:53 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Check the light assembly wiring for corrosion.
Old 08-04-15, 06:58 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

This type of problem is usually caused by a short circuit in the wiring harness that runs from the car to the back light.

the usual location of the short is in the left trunk hinge where the wiring harness is routed. Numerous openings and closings of the trunk over the years cause those wires to break, and short out.

So check there first.

Phil
Old 08-04-15, 07:09 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PFB
This type of problem is usually caused by a short circuit in the wiring harness that runs from the car to the back light.

the usual location of the short is in the left trunk hinge where the wiring harness is routed. Numerous openings and closings of the trunk over the years cause those wires to break, and short out.

So check there first.

Phil
my mom's previous 2000 camry had this issue, the wiring snapped inside the loom that runs along the support arm in the trunk. though the difference was no fuses were blown, on the bulb out message would come on.

if you got nothing else to go on, check the connectors as mentioned, I would try pull the bulbs and replace the fuse, try hitting the brakes a few times to see if the fuse still blows.

if it still blows, well means you got a short in the wiring, now if it doesn't try replacing bulbs.
Old 08-05-15, 06:02 PM
bodkin
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

So, I tried a few things...

I looked at another forum, and noticed that someone had issues in the past where they had recently installed aftermarket fog lights and later had issues with their tail lights. I looked inside my front bumper, and realized I had a broken inner fender well on my front left hand side (from a fender-bender about a month ago), and my fog light on that side had gone out. I cut that fog light line, and insulated it with electrical tape, then replaced the tail light relay (It was on the other side of the driver's side fuse module). After that, I installed a new fuse, and my tail lights work now! Thanks to everyone for any helpful suggestions regardless.
Old 08-05-15, 09:08 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Congrats on your fix!
Old 08-06-15, 05:31 AM
pauloil
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the ?moral of the story is: the foglights are on the same circuit as the taillights.
And, the computer looks at them as well? I doubt this, because you took it out and everything is OK
Old 08-31-19, 03:37 PM
gfels
Driver School Candidate

I wanted to chime in on this thread. I was experiencing the same tail light / Fuse blowing shenanigans and fixed mine through doing most of what was listed above, except I unplugged every light bulb and connection to or on the exterior of the car and trunk, slowly reassembled as I checked for blown fuse. Turned out to be turn signal bulbs (front?) as far as I could tell. If this was not the culprit, it still worked.