ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Bad motor mount causing. Car to wander

Old 08-03-15, 09:23 PM
Vulkan132
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad motor mount causing. Car to wander

So my passenger side upper .motor mount is completely shot there is no rubber left in there. So could that cause the car to suck to the right then left while under acceleration. Letting off the throttle. Shifting. All these instances is when the car will jerk right then left. The alignments perfect it drives totally straight. Idk I need help I cannot debunk this mechanical mystery
Old 08-03-15, 09:53 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm?

Well, it can be the steering rack mount bushing on the driver side.

With the Dog Bone gone, there will be more jerking of the engine and if bushing is gone too that could shift the steering rack side to side. Ask me how I know.

I would also check the rear mount if the rubber is intact.

Jim
Old 08-03-15, 10:52 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

it shouldn't (but might). but that might not be the only problem. if a motor mount is worn out, perhaps other things are too.
Old 08-03-15, 11:15 PM
Vulkan132
Driver School Candidate

Well I ordered a new wishbone should be here inna week. If that doesn't fix the problem I guess tra and error begins. Thanks guys
Old 08-03-15, 11:53 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

wish bone issues would definitely cause this symptom.
Old 08-04-15, 10:47 PM
DJPsystems
Pit Crew

I had the same issue, replaced the front lower control arm bushings and the problem was fixed.
Old 08-05-15, 07:46 AM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Chances are your other engine mounts are bad as well.
Old 08-05-15, 12:33 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

It could very well be your lower control arm. My Sienna had similar symptoms, and it turned out to be those.
Old 08-05-15, 01:24 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe or not. I have this issue with both my honda and toyota. On honda, it definitely needed rear motor mount (engine movement, jerky shifting, vibration...). Replaced. Driving Vibration persists. Replaced my LCA which contains ball joint. On my oem LCA I replaced bushings myself so they are still new. I happened to hit a piece of wood on freeway on right tire so that might have busted my ball joint, which was freely movable. Better. No steering play. Now vibration starts 60+. But now with new mount and LCA, noticing this right-left movement. Thinking wheel bearings.

On toyota, after tracing and fixing several suspension issues and replacing struts, it tracks straight. No wandering. On acceleration, it moves right. If you let go of pedal, moves left. If you hold steady at 65 or 70, it does right-left on its own. Noted are weak torque mount and possible rear mount. I think left wheel bearing was starting to go. Other than that there are absolutely no vibrations, steering play, or noises.

This is on both brands and is only getting resolved one part at a time. Have you tried holding steady at some speed over 65 and see if it does slight right-left movement constantly? Do you notice weight shift when turning steering to right, more so than left?
Old 08-10-15, 03:15 PM
Vulkan132
Driver School Candidate

Well I replaced that passengers side tourqe mount. It help a little bit but what's happening is the engines touring to much to the right under power during acceleration so when it shifts at around 40-45 it drops the rpms to cruising speed and it quits torquing so the car swerves to the right cause I'm steering against the tourqe. But if my hands are off the wheel it drives totally straight even under acceleration. The steering wheel will still twitch at the same speed but I won't swerve cause my hands not on it. Idk I found a set of LCA and ball joints gonna get those sometime soon and see if that helps. Here's a pic of my old tourqe mount lol **** was toast

Old 08-10-15, 03:23 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

every camry that we've owned had to have this mount changed out, We've had 4 Camrys in the family, a '96 a '98, my old '99 and my mom's rip '00 camry.

So far the mount in my '00 ES looks ok, not sure if it was ever changed but car only has 46k miles on it.
Old 08-10-15, 09:50 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Wow, that is toast. I happen to change my torque mount also today. It arrived 2 days ago. It looked ok on the car but out of car saw a 1 cm tear in rubber. I can also flex the mount by hand not just on the car. Will see how the ride is tomorrow. Rear mount arrived today.

Searching this site earlier one thread notes mount issues and Draco A50 had mentioned trans mount in the wheel well next then front and rear. I might poly fill this torque mount and see if I can use it in our camry.

I have not ordered my LCA bushings yet. But I will. I have to work on wheel bearing also.
Old 08-11-15, 08:46 AM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Update. Drove it today. It still does the right-left which is little less ... because it is new rubber. Hopefully it does not get weak or cause tears until I get a chance to work on the other mount. Shifting is also little better.
Old 08-11-15, 09:20 AM
Vulkan132
Driver School Candidate

Yeah the left right steer got a lot more tolerable once I changed that mount. My shifting got better too. But motor still moves too much even just putting it into drive and reverse. Found a set with all the motor mounts online for $90 gonna get that soon and replace the trans front and rear and see where I'm at then
Old 08-11-15, 02:37 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hypervish
It could very well be your lower control arm. My Sienna had similar symptoms, and it turned out to be those.
+1 too.

3 years ago, I went to Sears for a free alignment check, they found passenger side was shot.

It was nerve racking, when I would go on freeway junctions at speed, soon as I lifted off the gas, she would jerk outward. Crazy.

Al they did was raise her, push and pulled the wheel and it was very apparent.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad motor mount causing. Car to wander