ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Oil drain plug question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-15, 08:32 AM
VicSWFL
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Oil drain plug question

Greetings Fellow ES Enthusiasts:

I'm about to do the first oil change since acquiring my gently used 2003 ES300 with 90K miles.

The car is up on ramps and I did a bit of a double take when viewing the drain plug (see attached photo). It appears that either there is a brass washer between the plug and the pan or this washer is in fact not brass but some kind of seal (perhaps copper). I have an OEM gasket for the replacement. Can anyone tell me what I'm seeing before I "pull the plug"?

Thanks,

Vic
Fort Myers, Florida
Attached Thumbnails Oil drain plug question-oil-drain-plug.jpg  
Old 08-01-15, 09:58 AM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For my year it is a fiber clad metal crush washer from the dealer.

Take caution on torque value. It is not 36ft lb but more like 18 ft lbs. At 18 if she weeps tighten a little more but do not over tighten.

Old 08-01-15, 11:04 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Nothing wrong with a copper or aluminum crush washer, but best to use the factory part. You are supposed to replace it every oil change but I use them for 4-5 changes with no issues.
Old 08-01-15, 01:44 PM
VicSWFL
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Minor mystery solved

Thanks Lexus 2000 and Draco,

I pulled the plug and what looked like a brass washer was, I believe, an overtorqued OEM seal (see photo). I torqued the plug and new seal to 18 ft/lbs and it felt plenty tight. I've never felt like theres a place in any garage for someone nicknamed "Kong", although I think he tightened my drain plug and oil filter on the last change. Past changes by prior owner were done every 3,000 miles with non-synthetic oil and Mighty (American made) filters. I used Mobil 1 full synthetic and a Mighty filter.

If anyone knows a trick to removing the oil filter without making a mess I'd be most appreciative to learn the technique.

Happy Lexus motoring,

Vic
Fort Myers, Florida
Attached Thumbnails Oil drain plug question-old-drain-plug-seal.jpg  
Old 08-01-15, 02:18 PM
pauloil
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you don't want a mess, one person on this site waits overnight with the car still up on ramps, and all the oil drains into the sump. I've been able to wait a few hrs. and have found this true.
Old 08-01-15, 03:31 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Yeah, that trick is a hit and miss. I tried both ways. It does allow the car to cool down so you don't burned on the manifold. But I am impatient so I just go for it :-P

But what I found was to quickly tilt the filter so it will not spill as much. I really hate how the filter mount was designed. so moronic.

Congrats
Old 08-01-15, 05:16 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

If you don't have a dealer handy, NAPA will have the correct size/type washer. I got several a few weeks ago for I think $1.60/ea. They have the the exact OE fitment info (size and construction) and can match it. I had a leaking copper crush one I used previously, also (not reused; leaked anyway). No more copper crush for me; also had one leak and ruin a transmission. !! The Napa guy said it was an aluminum composite center with fiber cladding. Looked like the one pic'd above but different color fiber.

As to the filter, two ideas:

1) I do the sump first, replace the plug and move the pan over to an area just left (looking down on the filter) of the filter. Remove it quickly and let drain. Then I take a paper towel and wipe the catch pan beneath the filter and the lip of the plastic panel it drains off of. Little mess now that I know the trick.

2) Getting the filter off: a) It REALLY helps not to over-tighten them. Contact, then 1/2 to 3/4 turn and no more. b) This is the only filter wrench that works easily. With this type, then a 3/8" ratchet and extension, it breaks easily w/o a lot of hassle like with other wrench types.

Not the exact one I use, but this style:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/GEARWRENCH...ingMethod=p13n

Last edited by Oro; 08-01-15 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-03-15, 10:53 AM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have this type, 3 claw http://www.walmart.com/ip/GEARWRENCH...ingMethod=p13n
Old 08-04-15, 03:10 AM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG
For my year it is a fiber clad metal crush washer from the dealer.

Take caution on torque value. It is not 36ft lb but more like 18 ft lbs. At 18 if she weeps tighten a little more but do not over tighten.

Can I ask why you mentioned 18FT LBs? just looked at the factory service manual and it mentions the drain plug is 33FT LBs.

I tightened to 29 FT LBs on my Hondas, so that's what I did on my mom's 99 Camry V6.

Last edited by 808mcv20l; 08-04-15 at 04:30 AM.
Old 08-04-15, 07:22 AM
pauloil
Pole Position

it is about 30 ft lb. see:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-setting.html
Old 08-04-15, 09:13 AM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Yes, Haynes also states 36 ft/lbs but you will see what happens when you do that. I asked the service tech at Toyota and they told me 18ft/lbs and tighten as needed or I will destroy the washer and create a leak.
Old 08-04-15, 11:36 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't believe a simple drain plug gasket question has 11 posts....
Old 08-04-15, 12:09 PM
propcop
Driver

Take a Phillips screwdriver or more correctly a small punch, and hammer it into the lowest point of the oil filter, remove it quickly then loosen the oil filter a little bit and all the oil will come out the hole you just made. Much less of a mess. IMO
Old 08-04-15, 01:09 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pauloil
if you don't want a mess, one person on this site waits overnight with the car still up on ramps, and all the oil drains into the sump. I've been able to wait a few hrs. and have found this true.
[raising hand] That would be me. Works great, but you do need to be patient and plan ahead.

My son used to work at a Sears Auto Center, primarily doing oil changes. He tried every single filter wrench made and felt the 3-claw type was the best and worked universally in just about every vehicle. That's all I ever use. The strap type can crush into the filter and rip it open, then you have a huge mess. Never use a wrench to put the new filter on, hand tight, 3/4 turn once the gasket makes contact is plenty.
Old 08-05-15, 08:03 AM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

I like to remove oil filter while engine is still warm, seems to be able to remove it easier while its warm.
To prevent from burning myself I put on a welders glove and just loosen it without burning myself.

Quick Reply: Oil drain plug question