ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Increasing bore and stroke on 1998 es300

Old 07-21-15, 05:31 PM
irishman88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Increasing bore and stroke on 1998 es300

Hello fellow Lexus owners im looking at get this kit and other parts without turbo or supercharger in mind just increase power NA importperformanceHPkit and I'm looking at ported the intake and exhaust valves on all cylinders and getting the knife edging done to my crankshaft that the site offers as well as the HP torque converter and HP transmission rebuild kit I'm looking at increasing power and performance and reliability I am wondering if anyone else has bored there block/ re-sleeved it and what amount of increase is needed for some nice gains and also on increasing the stroke how much of increase is ideal?
Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you only have "the es300 isn't meant for speed or power" don't bother posting thank you
Old 07-21-15, 05:56 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I cant find a kit for the ES, only the GS, http://www.importperformanceparts.ne...pek-lexus.html
Old 07-21-15, 06:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Easier and cheaper to install a 3MZ-FE.
Old 07-21-15, 07:34 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I agree, I've read on the MR2 forums of people using a 3MZ block (with a longer stroke) with a 1MZ non-VVT-i heads.
Old 07-21-15, 07:49 PM
irishman88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GregCanada
I cant find a kit for the ES, only the GS, http://www.importperformanceparts.ne...pek-lexus.html
If you click on Toyota the 1mz-fe engine HP kit is #16
Old 07-21-15, 08:39 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

how much power do you want ? why ?

Lets just say, you want 500hp/500nm. because. So, then you need to upgrade the crappy es300 brakes, and do something about the handling, which is at best boat like. You'll spend as much on the body (handling/brakes), as you will on the engine.

Lets just say you want 700hp/700nm, because power. So, you then need to install new cv's, and brakes, and gearbox, and the handling. You might spend more on the body, that you do on the engine.

Ok, I made that point twice. But what I'm trying to say, is the ES300 is a luxury car, it's front wheel drive, so it's not that easy to modify, and it's not well equipped to start with.

that said, .. if it were me. I would twin turbo using a compound turbo charging set up, with a ratio compressor. That way you can leave the factory auto in place and just have it rebuild for the power. (less shock with this set up). You'd only need to decompress the engine, and if you keep it under 400-500hp, the factory rods and crank would be fine, heck so would the pistons, you'd only need decompression plates. (2mm head gaskets). Add an aftermarket ecu, bigger injectors and intercooler with water sprayer, pretty simple.

Old 07-21-15, 09:06 PM
irishman88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ES300NZ
how much power do you want ? why ?

Lets just say, you want 500hp/500nm. because. So, then y byou need to upgrade the crappy es300 brakes, and do something about the handling, which is at best boat like. You'll spend as much on the body (handling/brakes), as you will on the engine.

Lets just say you want 700hp/700nm, because power. So, you then need to install new cv's, and brakes, and gearbox, and the handling. You might spend more on the body, that you do on the engine.

Ok, I made that point twice. But what I'm trying to say, is the ES300 is a luxury car, it's front wheel drive, so it's not that easy to modify, and it's not well equipped to start with.

that said, .. if it were me. I would twin turbo using a compound turbo charging set up, with a ratio compressor. That way you can leave the factory auto in place and just have it rebuild for the power. (less shock with this set up). You'd only need to decompress the engine, and if you keep it under 400-500hp, the factory rods and crank would be fine, heck so would the pistons, you'd only need decompression plates. (2mm head gaskets). Add an aftermarket ecu, bigger injectors and intercooler with water sprayer, pretty simple.

Marc's 2JZ Turbo Compound Setup - YouTube
I get your point and I already have suspension parts ready to install I got rear end at low speed and back bumper plastic is scraped and needs to be replaced and I also had someone back into a few weeks after so now i need new front bumper and Hood and body shop will be painting bumpers, hood, fenders, A column, trunk quarter panels, and C column, so I'm going to spring for doors, B, column and roof I have an aftermarket bumpers, air vents and hood being installed I need to replace breaks soon and upgrading won't be a problem in that kit its stronger high performance forged internals I'm looks for N/A of about 400bhp and I know its a luxury vehicle and as I said in first post if you're here to just make that point do it on another thread I said N/A because I don't want the problems down the road that turbos bring I'm looking at having this car for while and maintaining it and increasing durability and power of engine not just performance I'm aware of suspension and brake upgrades I will need.
Old 07-21-15, 10:27 PM
chiner89
Driver School Candidate

Didn't he say n showed you what he's inquiring about? Lol
Old 07-21-15, 10:36 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by irishman88
I get your point and ..... I will need.
I read all that.

no offence, but you seem to be floating your dream on here. I have dreams too, .. they usually involve supermodels and a different kind of lubrication. Oh well .. perhaps one day,

Naomi Campbell, if you're reading this my wife says I can get a pass for one night .. call me.

I pointing out it's a luxury car, as a frame of reference to capabilities. I have no idea if you've really thought this through, .. it doesn't seem like it.

The 1mz-fe Output is 168–190 hp @ 5200–5400 rpm with 183–193 lb·ft of torque at 4400 rpm stock. The chances of you getting 400hp (a 120% increase), without boost, is slim, .. to none. People struggle to make 330hp (n/a) with the 1uz-fe.

when I asked you why, and what; you're trying to do, .. those were real good things for you to think about. It's very hard to achieve something if you don't know what you're trying to do.

Honestly, if I were you I'd pick another car, with a better base to start with. Say, and Audi A8, or an RS4.

Last edited by ES300NZ; 07-21-15 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-22-15, 08:36 AM
285exp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The es300 isn't meant for speed or power, if you're actually serious and not just blowing smoke, all you'd be doing is throwing a whole lot of money into a car that is unsuitable for the purpose.

On the other hand, two posts, 321 words, one period. That has to be some kind of record.
Old 07-22-15, 10:49 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by irishman88
Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you only have "the es300 isn't meant for speed or power" don't bother posting thank you
So then you don't want to hear about the reality of the situation. Well good luck then, also if you already know the ES can handle the power why are you coming here asking questions?

...oh and 400hp N/A lol you are going to double the power output without forced induction. Good one.
Old 07-22-15, 12:42 PM
amlarajr01
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Build

Ok Irishman88. I can tell you that a 500 hp build out of the 3.0 is very possible. I build engines for a living. I tend to love the 3.0's because everybody passes them off as slugs when their an excellent starting point for a build. But hate to burst your bubble you wont be able to build a reliable 3.0 at 500 hp with no forced induction. You would have to bore it too far out to make up the ground you would loose not going with forced induction. Hence going with a reliable turbo boring it 30 40 over and custom ground cams you could easily get 500 hp out of it. But it takes time and patience in setting up engine right. Custom ECU tuning will be your biggest enemy in the end. Finding a shop willing to do the hours required on the dino to find the best tune will make you or break the engine build. The tune will make you or break you. I built a 3.0 that would pull 500 horses all day on the dino two years ago for a guy who owned a Toyota. Lets just say money wasnt an issue for this guy.
The following users liked this post:
Mcelis (10-04-23)
Old 07-22-15, 03:00 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by amlarajr01
..... I tend to love the 3.0's because everybody passes them off as slugs when their an excellent starting point for a build....
yeah, they're a nice motor. Six bolt main, light, well designed. I think it's a forged steel crank too. But the head ports are pretty small, so are the valves. You'd expect that in an 'FE' engine, because those are toyota' s 'fuel efficient' engines. (FE).

I'm not really in love with the intake design on the 1MZ-FE, but the lower intake is very usable. A replacement upper, with a more direct route would help with power. Polish the ports, decompress it, add some nicely matched garret turbo's, and keep the power to about 300hp/400nm, it'd be a rocket ship and there'd be no need to look over the factory gearbox or brakes.

Personally, I'd never modify an ES300, there's better cars to start from. It's good just as it is, for what it was intended to be, a luxury cruiser. But, people modify all sorts of cars so power to him. He sounds like a a dreamer, a 'blow hard' as we call them down under.
Old 07-22-15, 04:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Every few months a thread pops up about a guy that is going to put uber power into a family sedan, they're told hold on now you can't do it so easily in fact it will take a huge effort and big money. They cry foul and all that and guess what, we never hear from them again. There HAVE been a few guys that did it, but they are rare and very talented tuners with a lot of money to back it up.

Old 07-23-15, 12:53 AM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

^ doesn't seem that fast to be honest, makes the right noises if like that sorta thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Increasing bore and stroke on 1998 es300