ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Found my '00 ES300 Platinum GEM!

Old 07-07-15, 10:12 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Found my '00 ES300 Platinum GEM!

Picked up my Gem on 6/21/15 just a few weeks ago and been lurking on these forums, decided to finally do my Intro.

Always liked the 00/01 ES300 Kouki look. Coming from a 99 Camry LE V6 w/84k miles, we've had 4 Camrys in the family... a 96 4cyl, a 00 4cyl, a 98 v6, and a 99, v6.

I've also owned a 96 integra GSR with lots of mods, a 2008 VW R32, and we still have a 2009 Honda Fit sport.

Been looking for a clean low mileage 00/01 ES300 off and on for a while. I was helping a coworker look for Lexus RXs on CL and spotted this GEM so I just had to buy it.

It's a Diamond White ***edit it's actually Crystal White*** 2000 ES300 Platinum with get this only 46.6K Original Miles. The original owner was an older gentleman retired and recently passed. His son was selling the car as he owned a newer ES300 Hybrid. Car was garaged it's whole life and extremely clean.

The seller wanted more than bluebook for a private sale but considering the condition and the mileage I thought it was worth it. Get this the car has the optional Factory HIDs! I've read that not many ES300s for 00/01 had them, that sold me!

Here's some pictures from the day I picked it up.
Name:  2015-07-07_16.00.22_zps9mswwpgq.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  135.5 KB

Name:  2015-07-07_16.02.51_zpsayl8otzd.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  134.1 KB

Name:  20150621_110823_zpsc0vviinr.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  135.4 KB

and the mileage!
Name:  20150621_110958_zpsdid3olfx.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  101.8 KB

Factory HIDs warming up, (has the auto leveling feature as well, like my 08 VW R32)
Name:  20150621_195226_zpsnqsxrd7j.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  99.7 KB

Since taking it home I've found 2 problems with the car have already fixed one.
Discovered the power mirrors didn't work at all! and the Hood struts are sagging.

Did a lot of reading checked fuses, tested the window switch per the service manual. Found that some clublexus owners in the SC400 and LS400 forums replaced a mirror control module. I suspected the Memory control module, so I purchased one from an eBay recycler and managed to replace it myself. The happened to be the culprit and mirrors now work perfectly and work in conjunction with the memory seats!

This is the module I replaced, the old with the new.
Name:  20150703_233403_zpsow5lvswt.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  100.5 KB

As for hood struts, I went OEM and got them from the dealer w/ some discount with the help of a coworker, I wanted to keep the car as original as possible so went with the OEM Tokico struts.

I have a few plans for the car but not planning to mod it extensively, just OEM+ upgrades.

I'm planning some PIAA/Philips LED bulb upgrades, Maybe a Pioneer NAV headunit (trying to see if I can get the jdm double din wood grain trim) JDM Windom Clear corners. Some Energy suspension bushings. Replace all fluids with synthetic oil, ATF, and dot 4 brake fluid.

Thanks all for reading up to here!
Aloha!

Last edited by 808mcv20l; 08-07-15 at 03:59 AM.
Old 07-07-15, 10:57 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

The woodgrain coupled with the HID's is "unique"... these were one or the other.

My old one came with woodgrain, but I put in the kouki HID/clear corner combo afterwards.

These cars are great, I'm glad to hear someone else going OEM+ with it... too many guys came on here and doing botch-**** to these machines... like welding no name mufflers, etc.

For the clears, it's easy to wire [refer to my thread].

This was the seller that sent me mine, was nice and quick and 100% better than described.

I know its overkill, but for some reason there's only two big sellers and a few sporatic guys with Windom parts.

My recommendation is buy this; http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Toyota-LEXUS-MCV20-MCV21-SXV21-Windom-ES300-Kouki-Front-HeadlightsOEM-/361298361893?hash=item541f0f7e25&vxp=mtr
You'll get the corners and spare headlights [ballasts/bulbs/igniters] for the cost of ONE kouki clear corner from another seller...

If you look at his store, he's got the woodgrain set for the double din [oem], and these rare AF winglets; http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Lexus-Windom-MCV20-MCV21-TRD-Toyota-ES300-Front-Spoiler-Lips-/191579229458?hash=item2c9b030d12&vxp=mtr
The NAV piece would be tricky, keep in mind the FM bands are way different in Japan and would probably not work out so well for you here, plus all the Japanese buttons/menus would be a pain... I never ended up getting one back in the day - it was cool thought since it had a HDD too! From 2001 !!

Nice car, and good luck!
Old 07-08-15, 01:45 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Has anyone on here put the woodgrain kit for a double din? I didnt even know they existed
Old 07-08-15, 02:25 AM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Originally Posted by funcrusher
Has anyone on here put the woodgrain kit for a double din? I didnt even know they existed
Here's one that's for sale now, but I'm just looking for the trim surround the double din not the entire ashtray/REVERSE AC controls and shifter surround.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-99-Lexus-Windom-MCV20-MCV21-SXV21-Toyota-ES300-Peach-Console-Ashtray-set-OEM-/361187149069?hash=item54186e850d&vxp=mtr
I'm going to try to see if they are order-able in Japan on my next trip there.
Old 07-08-15, 02:35 AM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

@01LEXPL,

Thanks for the info I've looked through your thread, You've really done some nice stuff to your ES, too bad you sold it, what are you driving now?

You know, Yahoo Auctions Japan sells Windom parts for ridiculous prices, but there would be a language barrier and an issue with trying to buy stuff from there without a Japan address as they won't ship overseas.

I bought a JDM Aristo Steering wheel w/ air bag for 50 bucks + 25 shipping in japan on my last trip. I was planning on putting it on my 99 Camry but now that I got the ES I'll probably just end up selling it.

Oh I saw you had yellow fog film on your foglights, I've done this to my 09 Honda Fit, was thinking of doing it to the ES. I've also got my order in for PIAA Plasma Yellow Ion 9005 bulbs, I had a similar setup in my 08 Volks R32 and Philips 6000k Ultinon d2s bulbs.

Hope to see you around these forums.
Old 07-08-15, 02:50 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Thats way to much $ for that little wood grain piece :/ it would look real nice though. It looks good with the standard kit IMO like this guy has
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...000-es300.html

By the way what yellow film did you use for your fogs? Im thinking of putting Lumin X or Aerotekt on mine.

Heres my 2000 Platinum. I put Philips LED bulbs in my dome and on the front door bottoms last week
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-pictures.html
Old 07-08-15, 03:03 AM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

haven't decided, but I like the color of these and they're cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131349164265?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Having a double din screen in the car really updates the electronics for a 15yo car. I'm hoping I can find the woodgrain trim piece for around 30-50 bucks in japan, I need to check with some dealers there if it's still possible to order it, but not sure if I'm going this year.

I find it funny that I was seriously considering looking for a cassette tape adapter so to be able to plug in my ipod/android phone... The last car I drove that had that was my parent's 1987 accord like 20 years ago...Every car I've owned since then has had a CD player or I had upgraded to an aftermarket unit. For some odd reason I haven't had the urge to swap it out yet, I think because the stock radio and speakers are pretty decent and that I didn't want to ruin the "stock" look just yet.
Old 07-08-15, 07:58 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. I do have same exact color combo!!!!!. Siblings separated at birth .

These are very reliable cars, good catch on low miles ES. If I were you I would start with replacing "all" fluids with Toyota fluids and go from there.

Last edited by satiger; 08-08-15 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-08-15, 09:00 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

congrats i too have the ES you have. picture below ..welcome!!
Attached Thumbnails Found my '00 ES300 Platinum GEM!-dscf1719_zpssghzuj1w.jpg  
Old 07-09-15, 12:24 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Originally Posted by 808mcv20l
haven't decided, but I like the color of these and they're cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131349164265...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Having a double din screen in the car really updates the electronics for a 15yo car. I'm hoping I can find the woodgrain trim piece for around 30-50 bucks in japan, I need to check with some dealers there if it's still possible to order it, but not sure if I'm going this year.

I find it funny that I was seriously considering looking for a cassette tape adapter so to be able to plug in my ipod/android phone... The last car I drove that had that was my parent's 1987 accord like 20 years ago...Every car I've owned since then has had a CD player or I had upgraded to an aftermarket unit. For some odd reason I haven't had the urge to swap it out yet, I think because the stock radio and speakers are pretty decent and that I didn't want to ruin the "stock" look just yet.
Wait are you actually taking a trip to Japan? I was gonna put my double din in soon with the standard kit but maybe i should wait to see if they carry them over there lol

Yeah the stock look still looks decent for its age probably because the wood grain and how its all one flat piece
Old 07-09-15, 02:30 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Wait are you actually taking a trip to Japan? I was gonna put my double din in soon with the standard kit but maybe i should wait to see if they carry them over there lol

Yeah the stock look still looks decent for its age probably because the wood grain and how its all one flat piece
I'm not sure if I'm going this year, if anything I may go later this summer to closer to fall. I've got in-laws who live there so we go from time to time.

Also, not sure if it's still order-able from the dealer, (ideally I would want a new one if possible) if not would have to source if from sellers like Yahoo Auctions, but seems like most people want to sell it with the entire AC Controls...since those buttons are reversed for RHD I'd avoid those.
Old 07-09-15, 03:19 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on a great find.
Old 07-09-15, 06:25 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Originally Posted by 808mcv20l
I'm not sure if I'm going this year, if anything I may go later this summer to closer to fall. I've got in-laws who live there so we go from time to time.

Also, not sure if it's still order-able from the dealer, (ideally I would want a new one if possible) if not would have to source if from sellers like Yahoo Auctions, but seems like most people want to sell it with the entire AC Controls...since those buttons are reversed for RHD I'd avoid those.
Let me know if you are going to go...if you remember lol i can paypal you the money+more if need be if you can get me one and ship it to Texas
Old 07-17-15, 02:16 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
The woodgrain coupled with the HID's is "unique"... these were one or the other.

My old one came with woodgrain, but I put in the kouki HID/clear corner combo afterwards.

These cars are great, I'm glad to hear someone else going OEM+ with it... too many guys came on here and doing botch-**** to these machines... like welding no name mufflers, etc.

For the clears, it's easy to wire [refer to my thread].

This was the seller that sent me mine, was nice and quick and 100% better than described.

I know its overkill, but for some reason there's only two big sellers and a few sporatic guys with Windom parts.

My recommendation is buy this; JDM Toyota Lexus MCV20 MCV21 SXV21 Windom ES300 Kouki Front Headlightsoem | eBay

You'll get the corners and spare headlights [ballasts/bulbs/igniters] for the cost of ONE kouki clear corner from another seller...

If you look at his store, he's got the woodgrain set for the double din [oem], and these rare AF winglets; JDM Lexus Windom MCV20 MCV21 TRD Toyota ES300 Front Spoiler Lips | eBay

The NAV piece would be tricky, keep in mind the FM bands are way different in Japan and would probably not work out so well for you here, plus all the Japanese buttons/menus would be a pain... I never ended up getting one back in the day - it was cool thought since it had a HDD too! From 2001 !!

Nice car, and good luck!
I just noticed this now....are those headlights in the headlight/clear corners combo the same exact oem headlights you would be getting at a lexus dealership if you were to buy new ones in America? Thats really cheap for both damn..
Old 07-17-15, 03:17 AM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

I just noticed this now....are those headlights in the headlight/clear corners combo the same exact oem headlights you would be getting at a lexus dealership if you were to buy new ones in America? Thats really cheap for both damn..
The headlights themselves might be the same, although, not sure if they come with the DOT stamp, but just keep in mind that JDM headlights may be aimed a bit differently for RHD, but not so much that you would notice or matter.

The clear corners however are different, the JDM corners don't have amber reflectors and have separate parking light and turn lights. I suspect they are a 168 wedge and a 1156 amber.

If you look carefully there are 2 bulbs in there. if you want them to work properly you would need to do some re-wiring and may not be "legal" in your state, just something to keep in mind.

If I end up getting a set, I may just leave the 168 wedge bulb disconnected and mod the stock 1157Amber socket and bulb to fit in place of the 1156 one. I basically don't care for the additional parking bulb but just wanted the JDM clear corner look.

I've swapped the JDM 1156 bulb/socket on my 1-piece JDM 98 spec Type R integra Headlights when I had my integra w/ jdm conversion. I did it so it so it would appear more "legal" so local cops don't harass me for standing out like a sore thumb.

Anywho, if you watch Mightycarmods on youtube you know that jdm cars and used parts are dirt cheap in Japan.

That seller is in Hong Kong and while $100 additional for shipping considering the distance and size of them isn't crazy; I'd prefer to find a set on yahoo auctions japan as I've mentioned. But like I said, unless you have a japanese address and know the language it it's an option for many in the States...

Right now I'm kinda broke so the only mods I'm planning are cost effective ones, I have a bunch of LEDs bulbs on order and my PIAA HB Plasma Yellow bulbs are in. I'll be posting when I have them installed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Found my '00 ES300 Platinum GEM!