ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Found my '00 ES300 Platinum GEM!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-15, 12:09 AM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gabzor
My current optima, has been going 5 years strong so I believe I have a good one, but I won't buy from em again probably, I've had good luck with XS power agm's

thanks, yeah I know about torquing, you should also use a cross pattern of sorts too, i snapped a few water pump bolts on my the 2es, that wasn't fun at all :/
I've heard Odyssey batteries are good, though there's no resellers here, we are kinda limited to what we can get on this island for batteries as they can't be air shipped, someone would have to surface ship them here which would make them very cost prohibitive.

Yes, cross pattern indeed, I snapped a bolt off my friends Valve cover back in the day when I started working on cars, I know now to never do that again
Old 11-09-15, 10:22 PM
gabzor
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol you'll say that, but snapped bolts happen from time to time :/
Old 11-26-15, 12:40 PM
xoarz
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 808mcv20l
haven't decided, but I like the color of these and they're cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131349164265...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
i hope you didn't get that. I got that exact one and its more green than yellow lol

Last edited by xoarz; 11-26-15 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-18-16, 03:52 AM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xoarz
i hope you didn't get that. I got that exact one and its more green than yellow lol
Thanks for the warning on the film, I'll probably end up getting the golden yellow. BTW, just installed my PIAA bulbs, I'll put the details in the next post.
Old 01-18-16, 04:37 AM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Haven't posted here in a bit, but I have been working on the car just slowly and just maintenance stuff isn't really worth posting about.

First off, the Maintenance items, did another trans flush service, Drained, removed the pan, replaced the gasket, filter, and filled with 4 quarts Amsoil Signature ATF.

My wipers were squeaking like crazy so I took the opportunity to install my PIAA SI-Tech Wiper Blades!

Used a Mightyvac to drain/fill the Power steering fluid from the reservoir 2X. Filled it with Valvoline MaxLife ATF like I do in all my Toyotas.

Today's MOD install are these PIAA bulbs:
Name:  19631d0a-28be-4620-b492-d1557ebe76c7_zpsk1jjpw3m.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  254.0 KB

So the install wasn't as straightforward as it should be... Turns out the ES300 bulbs are hidden behind these plastic caps, the odd thing is the electrical connector extends through these caps.
here's what one looks like:
Name:  20160117_182016_zpszucioebx.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  132.0 KB

The caps were on pretty tight, and to get access to them I had to move the fuse boxes out of the way as you can see I wrapped them in a microfiber towel so they don't get all scuffed up.

One thing I learned with this install, I tried installing the bulbs as they came, the odd thing is there is one type of bulb for 9005/9006 which stuck me as odd at first. The box is labeled "HB" as you know, 9006 is called HB4 and 9005 is HB3. The bulbs would not go in completely for me to lock them in! I took them out and quickly compared them to the originals.

What I found out is that the O-ring gaskets are different! the black ones that come on them must be for 9006 as they are thicker, the Red/Orange O-rings are much thinner. The box included a set of Red O-rings. Doh!

With the Red O-rings on they went in much easier. I finally had to break out this tool, which was a life saver!
Name:  20160117_185430_zpszkvhf8mi.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  276.0 KB
There is an LED light built in! made lining up the notches way easier being able to actually see something!

This is what the stock DRL/ High beam looks like:
Name:  20160117_181325_HDR_zpsa49mqgva.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  86.1 KB

This is with the plasma yellow, they are darker yellow in person but my cell phone pic can't capture that.
Name:  20160117_181316_HDR_zpsqr4gnq0x.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  96.0 KB

Both sides:
Name:  2016-01-18_01.45.01_zps2nulvwen.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  84.2 KB

Amazon delivered some of my brake parts, I'll be doing a brake refresh eventually.

Right now I've got a set of Centric Reman'ed Dual Piston '96 ES front calipers. Thought about going with the 92 LS Calipers, but those require '96 ES caliper Brackets anyway.

I figured that I can always change to LS Calipers later anyway if I've got the '96 brackets on the car. The brake pads and brake rotors are the same, but I have a feeling that I won't hate how these dual piston '96 ES ones feel.

Still deciding what rotors to get, I had Powerstop on my 99 Camry, but I think there's too much surface area lost to drilling and slots. I might just get Centric premium E-Coated rotors, not sure if the slots are even worth it.

For pads I wanted to go JDM, I looked at Project MU, and Endless, I think I'm going with Endless SS-Y pads. They are $130 from us distributors, but are only $90 in Japan with the exchange rate. That's like an $80 savings for front and rears. I will probably pick them up later this year if I go to Japan or my wife can pick them up when she visits there.

Thinking of stainless brake lines, I used Goodridge on my 99 Camry, but I like the fact that the Centric StopTech ones are coated on the outside of the stainless steel braid as well.

Things left to do:
LED interior install, courtesy lights, dome lights, trunk light, reverse lights, license plate area (done)
New Blitz Air Filter install (clean MAF as well)
Cabin Air filter
Sway bar bushings (will probably do these when I get to the brakes)
Old 01-26-16, 12:43 AM
xoarz
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm so jealous of those headlights they look so beautiful
I'd have to cut into the radiator harness for the HID set to fit into my 1998 ES... which i'm too scared to do. so.. i'm probably going to sell the set that i have laying around in my room lol
Old 01-26-16, 07:59 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ya i had been using D3 oil filter too for a very long time. No problems there.But just once I went with TRD oil filter.
Attached Thumbnails Found my '00 ES300 Platinum GEM!-img-20130921-00176.jpg   Found my '00 ES300 Platinum GEM!-_2711.jpg  
Old 01-26-16, 12:44 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xoarz
I'm so jealous of those headlights they look so beautiful
I'd have to cut into the radiator harness for the HID set to fit into my 1998 ES... which i'm too scared to do. so.. i'm probably going to sell the set that i have laying around in my room lol
Don't give up hope, no one has a write up or something? Is the radiator support the same? I would assume so, sounds like some harnesses bolted to the back of the radiator support is causing clearance issues.

If it were me I'd try to move or unbolt the harness and move it out of the way if at all possible before I cut anything. If it's just some wiring insulation that's causing the issue, that should be fine to cut and replace with something less obtrusive. Just use some flex hose conduit cover you can get at Walmart or O'reillys.

BTW how are those TEINs? I was looking for a set but looks like they might be discontinued, hopefully JIC Magic coilovers are still available, I might want to get a set later this year.

I got a few other goodies for the car last week I'll post up here in a bit, slowly collecting my brake parts.
Old 01-26-16, 12:54 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Originally Posted by imherenow
Ya i had been using D3 oil filter too for a very long time. No problems there.But just once I went with TRD oil filter.
I picked up a filter wrench for the D3 Filters, apparently the tool is different for the D1 Filter.

I also found a ton of drain washers w/ teflon coating on the cheap. A friend and I split a bag of 100 washers which only came out to 21cents each.

if you're interested I got them here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-100-TOYOTA-Oil-Drain-Plug-Crush-Washer-Gaskets-90430-12031-LIKE-OE-/151963902493?vxp=mtr
They look like OEM quality except now toyota makes them Blue instead of Black.

I always use Mobil1 oil in my cars, Walmart and Costco has them for around $29 for 5quart jug when Costco has them on sale 6 quart individuals for around the same price.

I also started using Amsoil Signature ATF in my cars, they are sure pricey tho, around 11.50 a quart and the ES uses 4 quarts.
Old 01-27-16, 06:17 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

nice non abused examples of these are getting very hard to find. awesome score!
Old 01-28-16, 04:39 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

I cant decide if i like your bright yellow DRL's lol..i had mine disabled

Yoooo 808 that seat cushion, i like! Can you post up a review and pics? Does it just move around or hook on? Make you sit taller or you sink into it? Is there a Jdm site to check out everything for our cars?

Do the bigger Toyota oil filters make a difference in how the car drives or anything like that?
Old 01-29-16, 02:37 AM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Originally Posted by funcrusher
I cant decide if i like your bright yellow DRL's lol..i had mine disabled

Yoooo 808 that seat cushion, i like! Can you post up a review and pics? Does it just move around or hook on? Make you sit taller or you sink into it? Is there a Jdm site to check out everything for our cars?

Do the bigger Toyota oil filters make a difference in how the car drives or anything like that?
The cushion is from the JDM company called "Bonform" I had them ordered from Amazon.co.jp and the mrs. brought them home when she went up there.

you can also get them on Ebay, just search for bonform, but here's a link and there's more pics.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BonForm-5387...9Wa8dH&vxp=mtr

I really like these cushions, they are soft and not hard, doesn't make you sit a lot taller like others that I've tried. The only bad thing is that they move and don't have a way to hold them in place. I guess you could tie them down or something if you really wanted...

I've been trolling Amazon.co.jp search for "mcv20" or "windom" which is the japanese equivalent to our cars. Also check yahoo Auctions Japan.

The taller oil filters don't really do anything except it's extra insurance with more filter element than the standard YZZD1 filters.

D3 Filters are designed for Toyota V8 engines and is the factory part for the 2016 Toyota Tacoma. Best part is you can get them for approx. 5 bucks when bought in bulk! I would def. recommend them over the standard D1 filters.
Old 01-29-16, 08:44 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Thanks for the reply. I have a few questions...

I know theres lots of diff brands that do JDM stuff. Why did you decide to go with Bonform? I know you're car crazy like me so are their products superior to others??

I see Bonform has other cushions so how did you choose that one? Is that cushion for an es300 or a universal size? Did you get 2, one for drivers seat and passenger? Im looking at other JDM brands and es300 products arent as available as LS and GS...

I want a neck rest also! I would get curtains but i have limo tint so its pointless maybe ill still get some to look extra plush inside lol. What other interior JDM stuff is available? Curtains, cushions, neck support...? I need a list ha.

Check this site out. Used it for my Osram fog light bulbs
Http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com

Originally Posted by 808mcv20l
The cushion is from the JDM company called "Bonform" I had them ordered from Amazon.co.jp and the mrs. 8brought them home when she went up there.

you can also get them on Ebay, just search for bonform, but here's a link and there's more pics.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BonForm-5387...9Wa8dH&vxp=mtr

I really like these cushions, they are soft and not hard, doesn't make you sit a lot taller like others that I've tried. The only bad thing is that they move and don't have a way to hold them in place. I guess you could tie them down or something if you really wanted...

I've been trolling Amazon.co.jp search for "mcv20" or "windom" which is the japanese equivalent to our cars. Also check yahoo Auctions Japan.

The taller oil filters don't really do anything except it's extra insurance with more filter element than the standard YZZD1 filters.

D3 Filters are designed for Toyota V8 engines and is the factory part for the 2016 Toyota Tacoma. Best part is you can get them for approx. 5 bucks when bought in bulk! I would def. recommend them over the standard D1 filters.

Last edited by funcrusher; 01-29-16 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-01-16, 06:06 AM
funcrusher
Racer

I always see this JDM brand at car meets

www.junctionvip.com/jupr.html
Old 02-01-16, 11:41 AM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Originally Posted by funcrusher
I always see this JDM brand at car meets

www.junctionvip.com/jupr.html
Yup, that's Junction Produce. I was planing on getting their cushions and headrests on my next visit to Japan, the ebay sellers want too much for theirs.

I'll probably just move my current cushions to the backseats.

Not really a fan of the curtains or the Rope Pretzel, there is also an LED kit for the Windom/ES300 but there are really no pictures of the leds so I didn't bother getting them.

I just changed out the brake fluid in the ES yesterday, just took a turkey baster and sucked out the old and cleaned the filter and bottom of the reservoir of that green moldy stuff that gets on it. I didn't bother to do a flush cause I will need to do one when I install new brake pads and rotors.

You are right in that there are very little JDM parts for the Windom/ES300 to date I have not found any site that shows all the available accessories or parts for the car.

I'm planning to do a timing belt job on my mom's 99 Camry V6 in a few weeks if it goes well I'll probably plan to do it on my ES later in the year.

Quick Reply: Found my '00 ES300 Platinum GEM!