ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Found my '00 ES300 Platinum GEM!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-15, 03:44 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 808mcv20l
The headlights themselves might be the same, although, not sure if they come with the DOT stamp, but just keep in mind that JDM headlights may be aimed a bit differently for RHD, but not so much that you would notice or matter.

The clear corners however are different, the JDM corners don't have amber reflectors and have separate parking light and turn lights. I suspect they are a 168 wedge and a 1156 amber.

If you look carefully there are 2 bulbs in there. if you want them to work properly you would need to do some re-wiring and may not be "legal" in your state, just something to keep in mind.

If I end up getting a set, I may just leave the 168 wedge bulb disconnected and mod the stock 1157Amber socket and bulb to fit in place of the 1156 one. I basically don't care for the additional parking bulb but just wanted the JDM clear corner look.

I've swapped the JDM 1156 bulb/socket on my 1-piece JDM 98 spec Type R integra Headlights when I had my integra w/ jdm conversion. I did it so it so it would appear more "legal" so local cops don't harass me for standing out like a sore thumb.

Anywho, if you watch Mightycarmods on youtube you know that jdm cars and used parts are dirt cheap in Japan.

That seller is in Hong Kong and while $100 additional for shipping considering the distance and size of them isn't crazy; I'd prefer to find a set on yahoo auctions japan as I've mentioned. But like I said, unless you have a japanese address and know the language it it's an option for many in the States...

Right now I'm kinda broke so the only mods I'm planning are cost effective ones, I have a bunch of LEDs bulbs on order and my PIAA HB Plasma Yellow bulbs are in. I'll be posting when I have them installed.
So with the clear corners one bulb comes on when you put the car in Park and the other when you drive at night? I wonder if most people use a LED in there or what...

Another cool mod is power folding mirrors. Theres a thread on here with a guy who did that
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-99-Lexus-Windom-MCV20-MCV21-SXV21-Toyota-ES300-Power-Folding-Mirrors-OEM-/361299720285?hash=item541f24385d
Old 07-18-15, 09:59 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

@01LEXPL,

Thanks for the info I've looked through your thread, You've really done some nice stuff to your ES, too bad you sold it, what are you driving now?
Nothing, just sold my Turbo Forester... bought a '12 Camry XLE with 09 ES350 -> 12 ES350 -> 08 GS450h -> 13 ES350... Yeah, I missed out on a lot of nice cars, but again not worth it $$ wise.

Originally Posted by funcrusher
Thats way to much $ for that little wood grain piece :/ it would look real nice though.
OEM is OEM - gotta pay to play. FWIW, that same setup from other sellers was selling for ~300$ USD a couple years ago, before I sold my ES...

haven't decided, but I like the color of these and they're cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131349164265...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Those are neat, wish the neon-look was around when I got mine.

I had numerous yellow bulbs in my car over time, the film was best for actual yellow without exploding bulbs/melting the chrome HID's

I just noticed this now....are those headlights in the headlight/clear corners combo the same exact oem headlights you would be getting at a lexus dealership if you were to buy new ones in America? Thats really cheap for both damn..
Yes/no. The part# would coincide with Japanese cars. However, I wish I had up close pics of my old ones, pretty sure they were DOT.

But they are OEM, made by KOITO just as the N/A units. You just have to play with the adjustment and really fine tune it. I never had anyone high-beam me for misaligned "blinding" hids since the orientation is the opposite.

The headlights themselves might be the same, although, not sure if they come with the DOT stamp, but just keep in mind that JDM headlights may be aimed a bit differently for RHD, but not so much that you would notice or matter.

The clear corners however are different, the JDM corners don't have amber reflectors and have separate parking light and turn lights. I suspect they are a 168 wedge and a 1156 amber.

If you look carefully there are 2 bulbs in there. if you want them to work properly you would need to do some re-wiring and may not be "legal" in your state, just something to keep in mind.

If I end up getting a set, I may just leave the 168 wedge bulb disconnected and mod the stock 1157Amber socket and bulb to fit in place of the 1156 one. I basically don't care for the additional parking bulb but just wanted the JDM clear corner look.
I re-wired it, this guy sends the pigtails, mine looked factory [that was my "thing", nothing looking out of place with wires all over]. Even taped it all up nicely.

So with the clear corners one bulb comes on when you put the car in Park and the other when you drive at night? I wonder if most people use a LED in there or what...
Look in my thread, I have the lighting explained and pics showing what each stalk position looks like, but basically;

Amber - turn only. Position 1 - DRL only, Position 2 & 3 Parking light up top [either with DRL or HID].
Old 07-21-15, 03:48 AM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My latest shipment of bulbs came in today!

Here's a shot of the Bulb ****, will be installing some this weekend, no eBay China bulbs here, only Quality name brand stuff.

Old 07-25-15, 10:26 AM
lexdude007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn she looks hella clean and i love the goodies I'm seeing
Old 07-27-15, 08:36 AM
subwoofers
Rookie

congrats on the ride! any updated pics with the led's interior?
Old 07-27-15, 06:30 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Originally Posted by subwoofers
congrats on the ride! any updated pics with the led's interior?
Thanks I haven't found the time to install them yet, did some maintenance on my old '99 Camry, which became my mom's over this weekend.

I'm gonna shoot for this coming weekend, pics will be posted here once I have them in.
Old 08-06-15, 11:29 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Haven't updated in a few weeks, got some new parts for the ES from Amazon and Mylparts.com!
Pair of PIAA SI Tech Wipers
Name:  20150724_134243_zpslycg0gin.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  145.5 KB

Finally got around to installing my OEM Lexus Tokico Hood Struts
Name:  20150801_175824_zpsfbfqwezm.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  99.9 KB
Installed! no more sagging hood.
Name:  20150802_171125_zpspux2ukbi.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  129.8 KB

Latest shipment of oem goodies from mylparts.com arrives in record time, ordered Monday received Thursday!!! From CA to HI.
Name:  20150806_191553_zps3rtc1zos.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  112.2 KB

Considering the Age of the car, I figure I should get these parts sooner rather than later, should they become hard to find in the future.

In case you're wondering what's in these boxes:
TRD Air Box Filter for 99-01 Solara (stock filter is same part # as ES)
OEM Pioneer 6 Disc CD Changer Magazine (figured I get a spare)
OEM PCV Valve (looks like last owner changed it but I'm not sure when...)
OEM Valet key (never got it from the last owner)
OEM Master Key FOB case w/ blade (spare in case one of mine cracks)

Now I just gotta find the time to install my new parts.
Old 08-07-15, 03:58 AM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Wow!,

So I tried programming my new Valet key's immobilizer, I have a Toyota Smart Key Maker that I used to program my CoWorker's '04 RX330 to his new Remote Key Fob. Worked on his car without a hitch.

But when I tried on my '00 ES all it would do is beep once and nothing... then if I left it in it would keep beeping like crazy and flash the ABS light...

Was convinced I was doing it wrong, but no matter what I did it would do the same thing... No Dice.

Did a bit more digging and found these instructions, will post them below, was skeptical, but low and behold it actually worked! my new Valet Key's working!!!

Sit down in the driver’s seat of your car and press then release both the gas and brake pedals at the same time. Now insert your master transponder key, but don’t turn it. Within 15 seconds of putting the key in the ignition, push and then release your gas pedal five times. Within 20 seconds of the actions with the gas pedal, you will do the same thing with the brake pedal, but six times. After this, you can take out your master transponder key.
Now you will insert your new transponder key, once again without turning it. Push down on the gas pedal one time. Wait until your dashboard security light turns off (up to two minutes). Then, take out the new key and press your brakes once. At this point, the new Toyota transponder chip key should be programmed, and you can test it out.

Would would have thought it would be so simple?
Old 08-09-15, 07:10 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey nice ES bud. I wish mine was that clean. It is true the woodgrain steering wheel option with the HIDs is uncommon but many of the platinum/coach cars were loaded up. Do you have heated seats, Nakamichi or VSC?

Couple notes about the discussion here. I have been importing JDM parts for a while and have a number of parts on my ES, the corner lights, folding mirrors, AVS suspension...

Woodgrain trim on JDM double DIN: The JDM Windom cars have different wood tones. Many have a grey wood which would never match. The ones that 01LEXPL posted look closer, like a burl walnut or something, but that doesn't quite match the USDM bird's eye maple or the platinum/coach or the normal Walnut. So even if you can get this peice, it might not look right. Now about finding at a dealer or the price...in the US go ahead and price out the shifter trim...retail is over $400 for the walnut, and the maple is out of stock. I have some spare wood pieces in the basement ;-) Situation is not likely to be better in JDM land, even if the wood did match.

JDM Corner lights: JDM have no US required reflector, and use two bulbs where the US has one. BUT the ES has a dual filament bulb there, one for parking, one for signal. You do need the plugs off the JDM lights, there is some "wiring" needed it is no big deal you are just wiring the common ground to both bulbs and the power to each. The effect is a white upper parking light with an amber turn on the lower. It looks nice. Make sure you get the "Kouki" refresh lights the earlier ones don't look as cool. As for HIDs, well OP already has them here, but for others...I wouldn't mess with JDM, just peruse EBay there are ES300 lights sold as halogens when you can see they are clearly HIDs, great deals out there.

Buying JDM parts: There are tons of buying services that will bid and buy and ship the parts to you in the US. You can get a way better deal than the typically overpriced sellers on EBay who realize there is a US based market willing to pay more. I used to have someone buying and shipping for me when I got into importing Subaru parts, but they dried up long ago and I have used a buying service. Just browse the auctions in Google translate, see what you want and use the buying service. The culture in Japan is such that you don't really get screwed by misrepresented parts, so you are not likely to get something you can't use. Exchange rate is great right now. Anyone who wants JDM folding mirrors I have a spare set in the basement I can work a better deal than that auction posted above.
Old 08-09-15, 07:52 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Haha i put in a lot of those things to as soon as i got my 2000...

Wiper blades from dealership
Air filter from dealership
Pcv valve from Advanced Auto Parts. Haha should I switch it out again for an Oem?? It's been like 20,000 miles

Didnt bother with hood struts. im not paying a few hundred to keep it up when i can use a stick for free. Yours makes me want to buy them though lol
New cd changer? Blah. I would of put that money towards a double din
Old 08-12-15, 05:37 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

So more goodies Arrived today, weird ordered them on different days, yet they all show up at once...

First off, got 2 boxes of these, one is for my work buddy.
Name:  20150812_131942_zpsy9pdqera.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  159.8 KB

These are the OEM V8 Filters for V8 4Runners and V8 Lexuses, in case you were wondering, they screw in and fit perfectly, the only difference is that they are a bit taller so there's more filtering element.
The one on the Left is the USA made YZZG1 (same size as YZZD1) the right is the V8 Filter YZZD3.
Name:  20150812_132324_zpsu6cmz40c.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  135.6 KB

I also received my Moog front and rear SwayBar Bushings and Denso IridiumTT (Twin Tip) spark plugs today.
Name:  20150812_132938_zpsauselb0r.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  148.1 KB
Old 08-12-15, 07:18 PM
dengreene
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's one real clean ES...congrats!!!
Old 08-22-15, 06:29 AM
subwoofers
Rookie

Do you have more pics of the TRD Air Box Filter?
Old 08-23-15, 11:32 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Originally Posted by subwoofers
Do you have more pics of the TRD Air Box Filter?
Name:  20150809_141149_zps0mehdfb8.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  353.8 KB

It's the same dimensions as stock, this photo is misleading cause the stock filter was sitting on the original box and the TRD one on just the ziplock bag.
Old 09-18-15, 10:15 PM
seyelabrev
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have two sets of the JDM Windom lips available if you're interested..

Quick Reply: Found my '00 ES300 Platinum GEM!