ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1999 Es300 overheating problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-15, 08:34 PM
Zayydubb21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Es300 overheating problems

Hey there all , I'm new to the forums . I have been kind of being a ghost and just reading for about a year now off and on . finally decide to join up ! Unfortunately, I need help and have some questions now .

My car is running hot , well at least that what the temperature gauge is saying.
So about two weeks ago I was driving car and everything was good until I pulled into my house and noticed smoke . Went to inspect it coming from hood and the top radiator hose was off and screwing coolant everywhere . While driving didn't notice temp on car saying hot . So I parked car and decided to work on it that weekend . Well the weekend came and I changed both radiator hoses , change thermostat and car was still running hot . Two days later changed the whole radiator after noticing a few cracks in it . Filled it up with the Toyota red 50/50 coolant and burp system . Drove car lightly over next two days only to discover one day after driving for about 20-30 mins car was smoking and overheating again (temp gauge on H) so I inspected and notice I need more coolant, added some more and even replaced radiator cap with new cap with pressure lever on top . Car drove good that night when driving about 25-30 mph through city to go eat out (drive was about 15-20 mins ) . Car didn't over heat or even pass half way mark of temp gauge on the way there or back . Now I have tried to drive it for work this week only to discover the tempature gauge is saying my car is over heating after about 30 mins of driving it . There is no smoke when this happens and no change in the way the car drives . So I stop when I saw this checked under hood and release the pressure lever on the rad cap and the top for the resivoir flew off and hot stem was coming out making it overflow . I have changed my oil during this two week process to check if it was milky or creamy and it was it was fine . No white smoke from coming from exhaust and no more smoke coming from hood of car just gauge saying that the temperature is 100% hot/overheating ! I have no idea what to do next or check . Could this be the head gasket ? Please help
Old 06-23-15, 10:48 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

do your fan's work.
Old 06-24-15, 07:12 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,708 Likes on 2,293 Posts

x2 on that, also stop driving the car are you trying to kill the engine?
Old 06-24-15, 08:50 AM
Zayydubb21
Driver School Candidate

Yes, fans are working . i have stopped driving the car until i can figure this out .
car doesnt overheat while in idle , i let it seat in idle for 20 mins & nothing !
Old 06-24-15, 05:45 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

IF. your fans are working normally,
and
you have replaced the radiator, and hoses.
then,
IF it was a problem with the radiator or hoses, the car would NOT be over heating anymore.
EQUALS
The problem was not, nor ever was, with the radiator, or it's hoses.
EQUALS,
The problem is elsewhere.

IF, the car does not overheat when,
UNDER, no load (at idle), or low load, (slow speed), then the issue is related to load.
IF, the car does overheat when under load,
THEN, the overheating is related to engine load.
EQUALS: the engines systems are not able to support it's cooling needs
THEREFORE, the overheating is caused by higher than normal heat output from the engine which typically occurs under some moderate level of load.

POSSIBLE CAUSES:
This engine likely has a cracked head, or block, or a failed headgasket. I suspect the latter. It is super heating the water with combustion, it is a very small leak, which is not leaking into the combustion chamber, or is not leaking in much. Oil and water are not mixing yet.
The engine is running very lean.
The water pump is not turning, or has no fins.
The water system is not pressurized/closed.
The engine is not hot, it is the gauge which has failed.

Last edited by ES300NZ; 06-24-15 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-24-15, 11:11 PM
Zayydubb21
Driver School Candidate

And those are all thing I cannot properly diagnose myself , correct ? What should my next steps be ...

I have a friend that says he replaced his water pump before and can assist if needed in doing mine this weekend in his garage .
Or should I just take to mechanic to check head gaskets ?
Old 06-24-15, 11:20 PM
Zayydubb21
Driver School Candidate

Anyway to check for sure if it the head gasket ?
Old 06-25-15, 06:30 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zayydubb21
Anyway to check for sure if it the head gasket ?
There is a test called a 'water system pressure test', which pressurises the water system and monitors the leak down, if any. That's usually a good place to start.

If you don't understand what I wrote, and it's ok if you don't, I'm sure theres things you're good at that I know nothing about. Then I suggest you visit a mechanic and pay for them to diagnose the fault. I do that from time to time when I want another opinion, usually it's a one hour fee, (or free), and a quote. You leave, no commitment, and have a think about how you're going to pay for it, or if you want too.