ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Power steering pump R&R/replacment (2002+) - link anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 10:30 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts
Default Power steering pump R&R/replacment (2002+) - link anywhere?

I need to r&r the power steering pump tomorrow. I can't find a good DIY, anyone have one bookmarked? Have not yet searched the V6 options at toyotanation.com yet...

She called at 4pm to say she had abandoned it after it died on her while on the way to a job interview (stressful, I am sure). I went to get her and honestly, all that was wrong was the PS pump eating itself and making nasty grumbling noises.

I tightened the belt last week but the pump was wet; I actually thought, "hope that lasts a while but it's not great." I guess I pushed it over it's (rapidly approaching at any rate - 240k total miles) death. There were fine metal shavings slung around as well as fluid sprayed out. I imagine the shaft is binding badly and that is the source of the shavings. It drove fine 6 miles home other than the grumbling noise.

Questions:I am assuming the shaving all went out and have no where internally they can go; so besides flushing hoses to clear, I should be ok?

Any other issues? I imagine getting at the hoses might be tricky given the little space to get hands or tools in above the pump.
Old 07-09-15, 03:53 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not 2002+ but figured similar. for ref.
lexls com/tutorials/steering/pspumpremoval.html
www lexls com/tutorials/steering/pspumprebuild.html
Old 07-09-15, 06:22 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The powersteering pump replacement is the same for any V6 1MZ-FE powered toyota.

This includes, Camrys, Avalons, ES300s, RXs, Siennas.

Youtube has a number of DIY videos on this.

I've done 2 power steering pump replacements on a 98 and 99 Camry. On the 99, I resealed the pump using the oem gasket kit.

on the 98 since it was driven for a long time without fluid (my sister is clueless).

I purchased the part from ebay I paid a little more but it included free shipping to hawaii, most guys won't even bother taking my money when they hear I'm in Hawaii.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Toyota-Lexus-Power-Steering-Pump-1994-2007-44320-33110-3-0L-/300956893421?fits=Model%3AES300&hash=item46126dc0ed&vxp=mtr
You will need a tool to remove the pulley itself. Don't use a vise or a puller as it may damage the pulley.
I bought this from amazon, cause there's no good tool rental places here, but you might be able to rent one in your area, pepboys or autozone.
Amazon.com: OTC 4754 Universal Pulley Holder: Automotive Amazon.com: OTC 4754 Universal Pulley Holder: Automotive

To get the pulley off once the NUT is off I wedged some wood between the pump and pulley and hit the stud with a rubber hammer till it came off. (penetrating oil helps)

You will need 2 New Copper washers or the oem aluminum one that's joined from Toyota for the banjo bolt and pressure hose.

I refilled and flushed the power steering with Valvoline Maxlife ATF, it's better than conventional Power Steering fluid IMHO.

As it turns out the main source of the leak was not from the pump itself, but from the High pressure hose. (this is the hose that goes from the power-steering Pump to the rack and pinion.

If you look under the coiled plastic that's covering the rubber portion of the hose behind the Intake manifold, on both Cars, 98 camry the hose was badly cracked. (previous owner tried to use stop leak, black residue in the reservoir) on the 99 the metal crimp where it meets the rubber was leaking.

The oem high pressure hose is over $300+ from Toyota... I said F-that and bought 2 Edelmann ones from Amazon for a fraction of the price $70 each shipped... lol.

The new hose comes with the copper washers and O-ring needed to reseal all connections, but you will need to reuse the factory brackets if you want a secure fit. The upper bracket is clamped on and it required a screw driver and hammer to remove.

I also replaced some misc rubber hoses that were cracking, the return hose from the power-steering line to the Reservoir (smaller one) and the lower one that runs along the lower control arm. Your parts store should have some rubber fuel line that they sell in bulk that should fit fine.

After all of that, Both cars don't leak a drop of power steering fluid, it's been months and the reservoirs are always full. :P

Good Luck.
Old 07-10-15, 08:19 AM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Thanks for the tip on high pressure hose. I will check this before I start my project too.

Yup. I came across this a month ago www yotatech com/f116/timerebuildmyleakypowersteeringpump250677/ just in time and then rebuilt my honda pump with a gasket kit plus bearing. It went well. I have to rebuilt one on my corolla soon too. My honda high pressure hose was still good luckily but found out that this was the next most common one to check on.
Old 07-10-15, 06:22 PM
Oro
Racer

I did this and it was a bit of a chore.

Mine was the pump as it was squirting a fair bit of fluid out the gasket radially, so clearly the body of the pump was leaking. The car needed to be back on the road asap as one other car was down, too. Otherwise I would have taken the rebuild route, too.

As mentioned, that return line hardens and tends to leak at the reservoir. I replaced that last year.

I had a bit of a headache with the pulley - the traditional puller don't work as there's no lip on the center boss to hold. I used a 3-jaw puller to get it off. I should have used wooden drifts as it bent the pulley slightly where each jaw grabbed it. I was able to use some soft chisels and repair it so no need to replace it, but a bit more hassle.
Old 07-13-15, 11:30 AM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Thanks Oro. That tip on the pulley will be helpful when I work on my parents corolla. Let me see if I can get around this one.
Old 07-13-15, 07:10 PM
Oro
Racer

Another tip would be: if possible, get that "joined" aluminum washer from Toyota or online if you can. I found installing the two copper and holding the assembly in position to thread the bolt/pressure switch combo back in difficult. It is awkward, on your back while reaching, and one handed. The 2nd copper kept slipping out and you realized why Toyota had made it a specialized one-piece washer.

The reman unit came with standard-issue copper ones instead. Had I known ahead of time I would definitely have paid a few dollars more for that specialized piece.

Also, the only way to break that combo pressure sender/bolt on the high pressure side was to use a deep-well 24mm socket over it and then insert a low-profile 1/2" breaker bar from above to break it. This bit applies to the V6 Camry/Avalon only and not Corolla but I add it for someone who might reference this later.

Last edited by Oro; 07-13-15 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-13-15, 10:43 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

I will get it online ahead of time. Online shows 2 separate washers of PNC 44341A but not 1 with double. I guess it is not in the gasket kit also, must be separate part num. Napa pic also shows 2 copper washers. Would you happen to know the part number or how to go about it? Our dealers here are a******s. Unless we know the part number, they treat this like secret info.
Old 07-13-15, 11:01 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by surgeon0
I will get it online ahead of time. Online shows 2 separate washers of PNC 44341A but not 1 with double. I guess it is not in the gasket kit also, must be separate part num. Napa pic also shows 2 copper washers. Would you happen to know the part number or how to go about it? Our dealers here are a******s. Unless we know the part number, they treat this like secret info.
I bought a few of these p/s hose, banjo bolt washers from the dealer.

the part number is...... drumrolll......44327-30030 yeah it's not easy to find, mylparts shows it for 2.32.

The copper washers are wayyy cheaper through but can be a pain to keep the bottom one from falling off when trying to get in the banjo bolt when the New Hose is twisting it.

In case you are wondering, the copper washers are M16 sized you can buy 10 of them for under 10 bucks shipped.

look here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/M16-16mm-Crush-Copper-Washers-Quantity-10-Pieces-/161745323619?hash=item25a8c5c663
or you might be able to find them at your local parts store or hardware stores.
Old 07-14-15, 08:42 AM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Thanks 808mcv20l. I will get that and these crush washers too. Also used on ATF drain bolt.