ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

A Conflicted Student Needs Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-15, 09:07 AM
EPayne42
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Great advice given thus far (mostly). The prices given for the hose and valve cover repairs are insane. Both are common issues on these cars (as I've learned). I recently replaced the valve covers on my son's 1999 ES300 and it was a bit more complex than most cars ...only due to needed to remove the top intake manifold to ease access to the rear valve cover. Also, getting the old spark plug/ignition coil seals out can be a choir if they're really old. Mine were like hardened plastic.

Now, Mr. ES300NZ ...you have been my Sensei in all things Lexus since my joining CL, BUT I'm a BMW guy. I will agree that BMW's have their own set of common issues, but BMW's are a superior product to anything Toyota/Lexus has built. They're two different markets IMO. A factory straight 6 BMW motor blows the doors off anything Lexus/Yota built in the same catagory. Keep in mind these cars have beefy rear-wheel drive transmissions. They can take a lot of abuse and can handle the high torque. A bimmer runs like a bullet train right off the line.

Having said that, Lexus/Toyota build a VERY reliable product that can roll on into very high miles. Keep in mind reliability doesn't read fast & sexy although Lexus has some very attractive cars. Replacement parts are VERY affordable and easy to find. I really have grown to love Toyota/Lexus from the perspective of a mechanic. They're great cars to work on. BMW's are also nice to work on because they're very, very well engineered cars (actually over-engineered). BMW parts have a high price tag due to the name and above average life span. If you have to pay a BMW dealer or independent guy to fix your car, you will probably hate BMW's. These are cars you really need to fix yourself to make sense of ownership, unless they're late model. I've owned four bimmers (1984 3-series, 1992 3-series, 1999 3-series, and a 2006 5 series). All have run deep into 100K land before needing anything more than routine items.

BIG HELLO TO SPEEDKAR9 if you're the same guy that post the repair videos on youtube. I used your timing belt video to knock a timing belt on an ES300. WELL DONE.
Old 01-26-15, 09:48 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by EPayne42
Great advice given thus far (mostly). The prices given for the hose and valve cover repairs are insane. Both are common issues on these cars (as I've learned). I recently replaced the valve covers on my son's 1999 ES300 and it was a bit more complex than most cars ...only due to needed to remove the top intake manifold to ease access to the rear valve cover. Also, getting the old spark plug/ignition coil seals out can be a choir if they're really old. Mine were like hardened plastic.

Now, Mr. ES300NZ ...you have been my Sensei in all things Lexus since my joining CL, BUT I'm a BMW guy. I will agree that BMW's have their own set of common issues, but BMW's are a superior product to anything Toyota/Lexus has built. They're two different markets IMO. A factory straight 6 BMW motor blows the doors off anything Lexus/Yota built in the same catagory. Keep in mind these cars have beefy rear-wheel drive transmissions. They can take a lot of abuse and can handle the high torque. A bimmer runs like a bullet train right off the line.

Having said that, Lexus/Toyota build a VERY reliableproduct that can roll on into very high miles. Keep in mind reliability doesn't read fast & sexy although Lexus has some very attractive cars. Replacement parts are VERY affordable and easy to find. I really have grown to love Toyota/Lexus from the perspective of a mechanic. They're great cars to work on. BMW's are also nice to work on because they're very, very well engineered cars (actually over-engineered). BMW parts have a high price tag due to the name and above average life span. If you have to pay a BMW dealer or independent guy to fix your car, you will probably hate BMW's. These are cars you really need to fix yourself to make sense of ownership, unless they're late model. I've owned four bimmers (1984 3-series, 1992 3-series, 1999 3-series, and a 2006 5 series). All have run deep into 100K land before needing anything more than routine items.

BIG HELLO TO SPEEDKAR9 if you're the same guy that post the repair videos on youtube. I used your timing belt video to knock a timing belt on an ES300. WELL DONE.
That's the dumbest blanket statement I've heard in my life.

Have you seen the LFA? RC-F? IS-F? Do i need to continue? BMW lost it's "ultimate driving machine" edge a LONG time ago.
Old 01-26-15, 10:45 AM
EPayne42
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hypervish
That's the dumbest blanket statement I've heard in my life.

Have you seen the LFA? RC-F? IS-F? Do i need to continue? BMW lost it's "ultimate driving machine" edge a LONG time ago.
Different catagory of vehicle. The LFA would compete with a Corvette, not a 4 door sedan. IS-F is a modded car ...let see how it deals with a equally modded M-3. Same deal the IS-F. These are mod cars. I'm speaking of base factory cars. So, a base 3 series vs a base IS ...uhhhh. Please do not act like Toyota has a long legacy of high performance cars. They were very reliable grocery getters.

BMW still owns all sedan categories.
Old 01-26-15, 12:56 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

re: BWM's, my comments were strictly limited to 'BMW's' around the year 2000, in a 'student' price range.

BMW makes some great cars, several of which I'd love to own (over a lexus anyday). They also make some terrible cars too. The 1990-2000 BWMs are well known to have electrical issues in the cabin, and headliner sagging issues, and problems with the power windows (working, staying together, falling down etc). So, I was thinking if a student bought a cheap 1997-2000 year BMW they could end up with the wrong model and year and strike some real issues, particularly with parts prices.

BMW vs. Lexus, .. I'd say it would be a model to model comparison which makes sense, a sweeping comparison becomes hard to find points to compare on it quickly becomes emotive.
Old 01-26-15, 05:17 PM
Ezcal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
What color is the 'big hose'? Is it wrapped in something? Does it have metal pressed fittings? Does it start at the pump? You should first clean the area with a degreaser and water, then recheck for leaks. Oil leaks can be very deceiving, so it's best to start with a clean surface.

Sometimes the hissing is normal. It's okay to hear it when you reach the bump stop or the end of the rack with your steering wheel - the pump will change its noise.
The big hose is black, has metal clamps on the ends, but no actual metal tubing as far as I can see. It goes from the PS fluid reservoir to what the factory service manual refers to as the "PS Vane Pump Assembly, and the entire tube is about two feet long, basically a direct line from point to point.
Old 01-27-15, 06:00 AM
EPayne42
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ES300NZ
re: BWM's, my comments were strictly limited to 'BMW's' around the year 2000, in a 'student' price range.

BMW makes some great cars, several of which I'd love to own (over a lexus anyday). They also make some terrible cars too. The 1990-2000 BWMs are well known to have electrical issues in the cabin, and headliner sagging issues, and problems with the power windows (working, staying together, falling down etc). So, I was thinking if a student bought a cheap 1997-2000 year BMW they could end up with the wrong model and year and strike some real issues, particularly with parts prices.

BMW vs. Lexus, .. I'd say it would be a model to model comparison which makes sense, a sweeping comparison becomes hard to find points to compare on it quickly becomes emotive.
Yep...the earlier 3 series had some electrical issues. The power window issue is not a huge deal IMO. I'd take that over failing VVTi valves any day.

I believe it comes down to driver needs/desires. I'd take a Lexus over a Bimmer if I'm seeking decent fuel mileage, lower cost of ownership vs. some trade offs in speed/performance. Also comfort over taking corners at 70mph. As for looks, that's purely subjective. I've always liked the IS models and was a fan of the SC line as well. The IS always looked like a bad-*** car. Both Lexus/Toyota & BMW have great reputations for having engines that last.
Old 01-27-15, 10:06 AM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

... Both Lexus/Toyota & BMW have great reputations for having engines that last.
this is just ... an 'assumption' .. but I've always assumed that BMW found their driveline reliability by under stressing perfectly capable engines. Where as Toyota found their reliability by some rather respectable metallurgy, solid state physics, chemistry, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering and electrical engineering, and by under stressing perfectly capable engines.
Old 01-27-15, 10:33 AM
EPayne42
Pit Crew

this is just ... an 'assumption' .. but I've always assumed that BMW found their driveline reliability by under stressing perfectly capable engines. Where as Toyota found their reliability by some rather respectable metallurgy, solid state physics, chemistry, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering and electrical engineering, and by under stressing perfectly capable engines.
Uhhhh...that's a stretch. Bimmer used proven/reliable/strong transmissions. My 1999 328i has a GM built automatic (GM name stamped on the side). One thing American automakers can do and do well is make an automatic. And one thing I've seen the Germans struggle with are transmissions ...lol. I've had trouble with every German built trans I've owned [VW Jetta, Saab 900 ( had a goofy German box)]. As for Toyota ...we know who taught them how to make cars. Both BMW & Yota were quite brilliant in perfecting their designs.
Old 01-27-15, 11:06 AM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting enough, two years ago I was torn between the same two brands. For my first car I had it narrowed down to my 01 ES and a 01 BMW 325i. I went back and forth for days, talking about the same stuff you guys were. Obviously I went with the Lexus, and I'm glad I did, but I've always been curious to see how the 325i would've held up too.
Old 01-27-15, 11:20 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezcal
The big hose is black, has metal clamps on the ends, but no actual metal tubing as far as I can see. It goes from the PS fluid reservoir to what the factory service manual refers to as the "PS Vane Pump Assembly, and the entire tube is about two feet long, basically a direct line from point to point.
Sounds like the high pressure feed line.
Old 01-27-15, 11:28 AM
Ezcal
Driver School Candidate

Found another repair shop, who quoted me $210 for labor and parts - on a V6 Camry, so we'll see if his price changes when I ask about a Lexus.

For what it's worth, the BMW I was looking at was a 2001-2003 540i M-Sport. It would have been a MUCH more fun car to drive, but like has been said previously, the devil you know is better than the one you don't.
Old 01-27-15, 12:21 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Uhhhh...that's a stretch.
- oh I know, I was thinking about the 3 series E36 model when I wrote that, mostly the 318i, which I drove one from a car yard, nice car, very very underpowered.

- I might stop my input to this sub thread convo, we're totally hijacking this guys plea for help.
Old 01-27-15, 12:24 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ezcal
... was looking at was a 2001-2003 540i M-Sport. It would have been a MUCH more fun car to drive, but like has been said previously, the devil you know is better than the one you don't.
I'm not sure how much longer your studies are going to go for, but the lexus in good working order will always fetch more if you wanted to sell it and find something else, than were it in need of repairs, which really makes and argument for repairing it properly and keeping receipts.

... perhaps you could upgrade later on when you finish / solve the issues.

... I always seem to do a group of small repairs to a car before I sell it.
Old 01-27-15, 12:30 PM
Ezcal
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure how much longer your studies are going to go for, but the lexus in good working order will always fetch more if you wanted to sell it and find something else, than were it in need of repairs, which really makes and argument for repairing it properly and keeping receipts.

... perhaps you could upgrade later on when you finish / solve the issues.

... I always seem to do a group of small repairs to a car before I sell it.
True, but I've got at least another year and a half before I'm free.

I do have all the receipts for everything done to the car, but I still don't see this old girl going for too much - even if it were 100% right now.

Still, better than nothing I suppose.

As far as repairs go, next job is to bleed the system, clean the reservoir, plug everything back in and see what I can find out about the hoses, and watch what happens after that. As it is now, there are pine needles just about everywhere and the reservoir looks pretty dark and grimy.
Old 01-28-15, 05:43 PM
Ezcal
Driver School Candidate

Quick update - for those who are worried about my car's health - I'm going to enlist the help of my dad and replace the valve cover gaskets.

I took it to another shop who said they'd put it on a lift and take a look, and they let me go out with them to view everything. Turns out the PS isn't leaking, the pump is just soaking wet with oil due to the valve cover gaskets.

He also listed some other gaskets that may be at fault (oil pan, transmision fluid pan, and the main seal), but those are most likely very minor, if not imaginary. He said it's hard to tell since everything is so wet.

Anyway, from looking around at local shops, I can pick up everything I need (gaskets, valves, cleaning supplies, and a torque wrench) for around $150, much better than the $500+ I've been quoted at pretty much every other shop in the area.

I feel pretty confident about this, due to the excellent and exhaustive documentation provided by the tutorial wizard speedkar, and I'll be posting pictures when all is said and done.

If there's anything I should know, please let me know, before I tear into my engine! Otherwise, expect updates sometime next week, this will probably happen this Saturday.

Quick Reply: A Conflicted Student Needs Help