ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

After second oil change at dealership, oil pan threads were stripped.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 01:53 PM
seanglenn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After second oil change at dealership, oil pan threads were stripped.

Bought a used 2004 ES 330 this year, took it in for the 95k maintenance, and to have the car inspected, see if there was anything that needed to be looked after immediately. They told me the car was in good shape, gave me a list of things that should be checked on in the future, and I was good to go.

I bring the car back for the next maintenance (100k), and the service adviser tells me that when they were removing the drain plug, the threads on the oil pan stripped out. They say this is not their fault because "these things wear out" and there was an aftermarket (but evidently not oversized) drain plug in my oil pan. Something they did not tell me about when I had my 95k service done.

I purchased an extended warranty for my car, which covers the oil pan, but of course, they consider the threads stripping out to be "human error" and declined to cover the (expensive) replacement of the oil pan.

The dealership knocked 10% off the price of my service, but I feel like they should have been more willing to work with me on the price. I've emailed the head of the service department and basically got a "we're not taking any responsibility for this" explanation from him as well.

Should I contact Lexus Corporate? I'm pretty disappointed, and I told the service manager that if they can't stand behind their work, I would no longer be bringing my car to them for service.
Old 01-12-15, 02:48 PM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have your attorney write them a letter.
Old 01-12-15, 06:37 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Human error" on their part, threads don't just wear out. Sounds like the guy was talking in circles. I would have escalated this, but seeing as how you already paid it may be too late. Sorry to hear this happened, I would definitely not return seeing as they will not stand behind their workmanship.
Old 01-12-15, 08:45 PM
pauloil
Pole Position

? did they change the oil at 95K? if so, they stripped the threads. you could try a new oilplug, and find a mech. who can "rethread" the oilpan. my mech. did this for me, and now i change the oil to be sure no one over tightens the new plug i bought. putting on a new pan is not that hard and my indy could do it on his lift. need the gasket and some hi temp ATV sealer, and new pan.
Old 01-13-15, 09:46 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you buy the vehicle from the dealership??

It sounds to me you bought the car from another guy, had the car inspected at the dealership and found nothing. Then fast forward 5k miles later, when the dealership is doing the oil change, they found stripped thread on the oil pan.

If that is correct, that is not dealership's problem.
Old 01-13-15, 11:51 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I am always careful when replacing the drain plug nut on our cars because this can easily happen. I ALWAYS finger tighten as far as I can to avoid horsing it in with a wrench and stripping the threads. Like fritz said, have your attorney right them a letter. Or, perhaps let them know that your attorney will be writing them a lettr
Old 01-13-15, 05:43 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Did they change the oil at 95k?

Does the warranty cover an aftermarket drain plug?

Are the main questions.
Old 01-14-15, 03:24 AM
seanglenn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BDSL
Did you buy the vehicle from the dealership??

It sounds to me you bought the car from another guy, had the car inspected at the dealership and found nothing. Then fast forward 5k miles later, when the dealership is doing the oil change, they found stripped thread on the oil pan.

If that is correct, that is not dealership's problem.
They changed the oil at 95k, didn't mention anything to me about the aftermarket drain plug, nor mention any potential future problem that might occur.
Old 01-14-15, 03:26 AM
seanglenn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by crwys
Did they change the oil at 95k?

Does the warranty cover an aftermarket drain plug?

Are the main questions.
Dealership changed the oil at 95k. Warranty will not cover any damage to the oil pan that involves the drain plug or pan threads, as they only consider that a part that can be damaged by human error (which sounds like a BS way out of covering what I have to assume is the most commonly damaged part of the oil pan).
Old 01-14-15, 03:33 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

I could understand that if you had changed the oil yourself or had it done somewhere else. But considering the human error was caused by one of their employees the fault lies with them. It's not a warranty issue it's a "you break it you buy it" issue.
Old 01-14-15, 04:27 AM
seanglenn
Driver School Candidate

The email exchange I had with service manager James D.ick at Lexus of Towson, MD has ensured they will never have my business again, and I will actively steer people away from their service department.

I'll be contacting Lexus Corporate today, to complain about this service.
Old 01-14-15, 07:55 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Sorry to hear that. Find as many places as you can to post reviews online and get the word out that they do not stand behind their workmanship. Also file a complaint with the better business bureau. Be sure to consistently mention the dealership name, location and the name of the person you dealt with so it will make high rank with Google. Like James D.ick of dealer name Lexus of Towson, Maryland refuses to stand behind the workmanship his department prvides. Shame about the auto censorship of his name, sounds like he lives up to it.