ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Wheel Bearing Noise still exists after wheel bearing replacement?

Old 11-13-15, 06:25 AM
msim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JetsonES
It is possible that a bad bearing slipped through the q.a. process. I would try to get a second opinion as I would imagine it isn't a cheap repair.
It's $570.
Old 11-13-15, 06:39 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yowza. You could buy all the supplies necessary to perform the job for less than that. All that is really needed is a press,sockets,and a ball joints puller, I understand that most people don't want to do this though. Maybe an independent shop would charge less.
Old 11-13-15, 09:05 AM
msim
Driver School Candidate

Yowza. You could buy all the supplies necessary to perform the job for less than that. All that is really needed is a press,sockets,and a ball joints puller, I understand that most people don't want to do this though. Maybe an independent shop would charge less.
This is what we'll gonna do, thank you for your answer.
Old 11-13-15, 10:40 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best of luck. Hint: keep the bearing in the freezer prior to install. This will make it a bit smaller and it will go in easier. Also, this is the exact same reason I bought my press probably 15 or so years ago. They are around $100- 120 from harbor freight. You don't need them often, but when you need one nothing else will do the job. Makes bushings, bearings, mounts, etc a breeze. Nothing like 10 or 20 tons of squeeze at your disposal. If I had to do it over again I would probably buy the larger model. It costs a little more and takes up more room but sometimes you need to fit something big in the frame.

Last edited by JetsonES; 11-13-15 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-10-15, 09:58 AM
msim
Driver School Candidate

It is possible that a bad bearing slipped through the q.a. process. I would try to get a second opinion as I would imagine it isn't a cheap repair.
We've just changed the bearing again, and the noise still exist... We can hear it louder at 30 and 60mph, turning left and now even driving very close right-center, in drive or neutral. It seems to be louder day after day. There's kind of vibration too. So, I have new tires, new CV axle, a new second front wheel bearing. This is a humming noise, not really a bad bearing noise.

Last edited by msim; 12-11-15 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-14-15, 05:33 AM
msim
Driver School Candidate

I just realized that when I take the car out of a parking space in reverse and with the steering wheel completely turned to the left I could here a popping sound. Might be the left CV axle? I'll go today to the Lexus dealership to see what they say.
Old 12-15-15, 05:37 AM
msim
Driver School Candidate

Lexus dealership diagnostic: "Need to start with driver front wheel bearing. Est. 780.00."
This was the same tech who checked the noise few weeks ago, and he said that I have to change the passenger wheel bearing. Now he's telling me that is the left wheel bearing ... And he mentioned: "need to start with..." . He also said that there's no noise coming from the right side, which is good.
They charge $350 only for the bearing. Plus labor 2.5 hours etc.

Last edited by msim; 12-15-15 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-15-15, 07:01 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

The popping noise could be the strut mount bearings, when turning.

You may also want to check the tires, if they're causing noise.
Old 12-16-15, 05:14 AM
msim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by speedkar9
The popping noise could be the strut mount bearings, when turning.

You may also want to check the tires, if they're causing noise.
One of the things that I changed trying to get rid of this noise were the tires. They're new Barum tires, and for sure they are amplifying the noise a lot, they are pretty noisy.
Old 01-09-16, 09:12 AM
msim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by msim
Lexus dealership diagnostic: "Need to start with driver front wheel bearing. Est. 780.00."
This was the same tech who checked the noise few weeks ago, and he said that I have to change the passenger wheel bearing. Now he's telling me that is the left wheel bearing ... And he mentioned: "need to start with..." . He also said that there's no noise coming from the right side, which is good.
They charge $350 only for the bearing. Plus labor 2.5 hours etc.
We put the car on the lift, and put it in drive. No bearing or half shaft problem on any side. Hardly any noise. Could be the transmission differential bearings, but we don't know. Any opinion?
Old 02-06-16, 02:40 PM
msim
Driver School Candidate

Finally solved! We've changed the CV axle and the bearing of the left front wheel and the bearing was fine. But the nut on the axle was cross threaded! That means it lost the preload on the bearings, so the noise would come and go...
Old 02-09-16, 02:11 PM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Good catch
Old 02-12-16, 08:02 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by msim
Finally solved! We've changed the CV axle and the bearing of the left front wheel and the bearing was fine. But the nut on the axle was cross threaded! That means it lost the preload on the bearings, so the noise would come and go...
How did that (cross-thread) happen?
Old 02-12-16, 08:24 AM
jenga
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by artbuc
How did that (cross-thread) happen?
Some monkey with an impact wrench zipped the nut on rather then start the nut by hand.
Old 02-13-16, 01:28 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

For msim, I did not ask the right question. I assumed you replaced the original axle and bearing so was wondering why anyone had previously removed and cross-thread the nut? Reading through your posts I lost track of your various axle and bearing replacements. Thought you previously did the right side than decided to do the left side where you found the cross-thread.

Last edited by artbuc; 02-13-16 at 01:38 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing Noise still exists after wheel bearing replacement?