ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Neutral Handling

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-03, 02:55 PM
ESES
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neutral Handling

I don't have the money for strut bar or other handling upgrades... That's why i have experiment with the cheapest form of handling upgrade...
I experiment with different tire pressure and got some surprising results... The sticker on the driver door specify that front and rear use 32PSI... I used to ride with that but cornering hard will result in bad bad understeer...
I've experiment with upping the tire pressure in the rear to 45PSI and found it to make the car less understeer and actually will cause a slight rear tail slide if thrown into a corner at speeds which sort of eliminate some understeer and help rotate the rear for a sharper turn... But beware don't enter a corner too fast while trail braking into the Apex of the corner... you will have your rear end come out... be prepare to countersteer really quick and keep the throttle full don't brake... or you will find the rear come out even more and might even do a 360... although i find it alright cause i'm used to it... people that actually want to try this setup should be vary careful and only experiment on wide empty roads incase anything bad happens... also becareful don't drive fast on wet roads... I hope this actually help some of you with handling problems...
I have kept this setup: 32PSI front 45PSI rear

BTW: i'm using stock tires and rims... YES i'm that poor...
Old 03-07-03, 03:11 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my manual says 38 or 36 or something. if you have them inflated too much, they are like balloons and you will wear down the center of the tire faster, if you have them underinflated, you will wear down the outsides faster. just letting you know that driving with incorrect pressure can be dangerous as well, if you load the car full a lot. just be careful, i wouldn't do it myself.
Old 03-07-03, 09:05 PM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried that on my ES once. It improved handling balance, giving it some of the qualities of a RWD car in a turn. Then I did a 180 in the rain and promptly went back to the stock 32psi all around.

I think that while the balance is improved, the actual cornering speeds drop, because you are giving the rear tires less contact surface with the road. Plus the wear and load conditions that Eric mentioned, not to mention a slightly bumpier ride. But I feel your enthusiasm though, all that stock understeer drives you nuts!
Old 03-09-03, 01:08 AM
ESES
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True it might wear out your tires in a bad way... but you can't have both performance and luxuary at the same time...
Like putting on siffer springs will improve handling but will lose comfort... same~
I much perfer performance...
Old 03-11-03, 07:13 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Re: Neutral Handling

Originally posted by ESES
I don't have the money for strut bar or other handling upgrades... That's why i have experiment with the cheapest form of handling upgrade...
I experiment with different tire pressure and got some surprising results... The sticker on the driver door specify that front and rear use 32PSI... I used to ride with that but cornering hard will result in bad bad understeer...
I've experiment with upping the tire pressure in the rear to 45PSI and found it to make the car less understeer and actually will cause a slight rear tail slide if thrown into a corner at speeds which sort of eliminate some understeer and help rotate the rear for a sharper turn... But beware don't enter a corner too fast while trail braking into the Apex of the corner... you will have your rear end come out... be prepare to countersteer really quick and keep the throttle full don't brake... or you will find the rear come out even more and might even do a 360... although i find it alright cause i'm used to it... people that actually want to try this setup should be vary careful and only experiment on wide empty roads incase anything bad happens... also becareful don't drive fast on wet roads... I hope this actually help some of you with handling problems...
I have kept this setup: 32PSI front 45PSI rear

BTW: i'm using stock tires and rims... YES i'm that poor...
I'd be careful about putting your rear pressure to 45psi. Quite honestly, you should go further than 35psi cold for any of your OEM sized tires. You may be able to experiment, but you're basically putting yourself in danger of losing control of the car from a blow out.