ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Lost key need help

Old 11-25-14, 03:53 PM
u4gmlglm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost key need help

I bought an ES 300 Lexus 2001 used in 2008. I lost the only key last week. The dealer in Jackson Mississippi (only one in the state) wants $800 - $1000 to get a new key made. I have to tow the car to him. I have not found a locksmith in the State that can do the job. This sounds like a lot of money for a new key. From the forums it looks like you can use your vin to buy a cut key and have it programmed at the dealer. I am worried about what the dealer will charge for the programming. Of course I am working on the theory the vehicle has the same keying mechanism when it was new and the VIN number will work for cutting the key. Any advice, it is amazing that no locksmith will touch this.
Old 11-25-14, 04:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,677 Likes on 2,267 Posts

You need a service like this

Also Google search for es300 ecu key programming or similar.
Old 11-26-14, 06:14 AM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a OEM blank from ebay for $130. It included the remote. This means the Stealer is charging $670 to $870 to do the cutting and programming.
Old 11-26-14, 06:44 AM
u4gmlglm
Driver School Candidate

Default Keys

Thanks, I like the idea of sending the ECM off, but I can not get into the car. So I am thinking of ordering the key from the VIN number. Then I suppose I could remove the ECM and take it and the key to the dealer. If he is too pricey I could mail it off.
Unless of course there is an easy way to get into the Locked ES 300.
Old 11-26-14, 07:02 AM
u4gmlglm
Driver School Candidate

So what the dealership is charging me $800-$1000 for, is the removal of the ECM and door lock, sending it off and getting the key cut and programmed, then putting everything back together. They are assuming worst case, that the lock might not match the VIN number.
Old 11-26-14, 07:20 AM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the lock doesn't match the VIN it will cost you even more.
Old 11-26-14, 07:46 AM
u4gmlglm
Driver School Candidate

How do you get to the passenger door lock and inside the glove compartment to remove the ECU if you do not have a key? If I get a key made with my VIN and it works, how do I get the key programmed without having to tow it to the dealership?
Old 11-26-14, 07:55 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

If you have no master key then you have to get the ECU reprogrammed. You can go to a dealer and get a new key made to get into the car but the key will not start the car (the remote won't work either). The dealer won't reprogram the computer they will replace with a new "virgin" unit and do the programming, which is why it's much cheaper to get your existing ECU reprogrammed.
Old 11-26-14, 09:35 AM
u4gmlglm
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus ES 300 lost master key

Wow, still not sure how to get to the ECU without a key. There is no way to reprogram the ECU without removing it and sending it off ?
Old 11-26-14, 11:41 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Not that I know of seeing you say you can't find anyone local that does it. It is a security feature otherwise anyone could cut a key and drive off with your car. Get a key made, open the doors and pull the ECU and send it off. Another alternative is to find a used ECU that comes with keys but that is not a common thing.

BTW I did a Google search and found more than one locksmith in your state that does reprogramming.
Old 12-09-14, 08:14 AM
u4gmlglm
Driver School Candidate

Default Update: Maybe this will help others

Well son found the key, yea :. Otherwise I think the solution was to have a locksmith unlock the door, then I would remove ECU and passenger lock, sending them off. Thanks you guys for all the advice, I am working with Ikeyless.com now to get a spare key made from the VIN. I will then take it to dealership in Jackson for reprogramming if needed. Ikeyless says with the master key, the dealership it is not required, I can do it myself, we will see as they are sending instructions with the spare key. I wonder if by belonging to AAA or some other organization I can defer these costs.

Good Luck

BTW: While Google does turn up locksmiths in the area that make keys for Lexus, they do not really exist, it is a bit of false advertising. For example Popalock which is a national chain specifically advertises they will make a key for a lexus 300 ES. However their offices in Jackson have disconnected numbers and the Memphis office will not return calls. I had bad experiences with the top 10 hits in google for locksmiths in the area. But for a nominal charge they would probably come out and unlock the door and I would have to do the rest. The Jackson Lexus dealership was upfront about charges for their services and time required, but at twice the cost of the car to make a key, it was very disturbing.
Old 12-09-14, 12:50 PM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought an extra key and fob from Sewell http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...S300-1999.html

Here's the link for the 2001 ES300 http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...S300-2001.html

I think there is a discount for being a member of Club Lexus. A new master key is only $86 before discount.

See this link for programming a key. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...mobilizer.html

Here's how I programmed a fob for my 99 ES300. Don't know if the procedure is the same for your year.

Partial video to program a remote on 99 Lexus es300

Sit in the driver's seat and LOCK all doors

(Using the manual lock switch) Unlock and open the driver's door.

Using the MANUAL lock switch, on the driver's door, (Lock and) unlock the door 5 times

Close the door.

Open the door.

MANUALLY lock and unlock the driver's door 5 times. If this sequence fails to work you can try the power switch.

Insert the key into the ignition and turn it to the 'ON' position.

Turn the key to OFF and remove key.

The drivers door will now lock and unlock itselt one time.

******* (Video ends at this point) ***********

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob for at least 1 second.

Close the drivers door.

Open the drivers door.

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob for at least one second.

Close the drivers door.

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob. The door will lock.

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob. The door will UNlock.

Last edited by tomf; 12-09-14 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-15-14, 04:36 PM
Ricko
Driver School Candidate

Had a similar problem - The other difficulty is that the ECU only allows a total of four keys - ever - after that, it won't accept any more. My ES300 had been through several owners and all the possible 4 keys had been used. I found 1 locksmith in Nashville that had an ECU programming device (ABC Lock and Key). It took him about an hour to reprogram the ECU and I walked out the door with three keys. Total charge was about 1/5 of your dealer's quote.

I would think you might be able to find someone in Memphis to do this for you. Otherwise you might want to bite the bullet and send it off and get a full set of four keys. I've seen one guy on the internet that will do it for around $300 overnight both ways.

Good luck!

Ricko