ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

First Lexus first problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-14, 07:06 AM
taltrap
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Lexus first problem

Hi Lexus owners,

I've just owned my first Lexus, actually first car ever. And I notice that before I start the car, there's a check engine light and oil light is on. But when I start the car working and driving, there's no lights on. What this that mean? I've been reading on here about it just not sure if it's a problem to see while driving the car or before start the car. Sorry if I sound so amateur, I just have no idea about technical stuff yet.
Old 11-24-14, 07:59 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Your car is working perfectly. ALL the warning/info lights on the dash should be illuminated when you turn the key to ON but you don't start the engine, this is a test feature to make sure all systems are working.
Old 11-24-14, 09:10 AM
taltrap
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Your car is working perfectly. ALL the warning/info lights on the dash should be illuminated when you turn the key to ON but you don't start the engine, this is a test feature to make sure all systems are working.
Thanks a lot Lexus2000,

Like you said once I turn the key on, all lights illuminated for a second and then before I start the engine there's actually three lights keeping lighted: Battery, Oil(I believe so) and Engine light.

Previous owner said that he has just changed battery few months ago and the last time he changed the oil was 4000 miles ago. So I'm hoping it will be fixed when I change the oil.
Old 11-24-14, 10:53 AM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

oops I misread your post, yes that is completely normal, no worries. I would recommend you change your oil every 3,000 because of the 1MZ sludge issue to prevent that from happening.
Old 11-24-14, 11:04 AM
taltrap
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lostape45
oops I misread your post, yes that is completely normal, no worries. I would recommend you change your oil every 3,000 because of the 1MZ sludge issue to prevent that from happening.
Thanks a lot lostape45,

If you say it's normal no need to worry then, I was just thinking maybe I should take car to the mechanic, I worried that those 3 lights keep on before start the engine. But like I mention there's no lights while the engine working and driving.

Sorry for goofy questions but since it's my first car I wonder what kind of oil I should use? Do you recommend specific oil better for ES300 models?
Old 11-24-14, 01:10 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

No no problem at all, that's what the forum is for. I'm not sure if you're planning on changing the oil yourself or not, but any full synthetic oil is good for this engine. I take mine to a friends shop (who I trust very much) and they give me a good deal on a synthetic oil change. It just runs a lot better than conventional oil and makes the sludge issue a lot less likely. As long as you change the oil every 3,000, you will be just fine.

Other members on the forum would know better on specific brands of synthetics if you plan to do it yourself, as I don't change mine myself. Although I have heard Amsoil is a very good synthetic that can go much longer than the usual 3,000 mile interval.
Old 11-24-14, 08:20 PM
taltrap
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lostape45
No no problem at all, that's what the forum is for. I'm not sure if you're planning on changing the oil yourself or not, but any full synthetic oil is good for this engine. I take mine to a friends shop (who I trust very much) and they give me a good deal on a synthetic oil change. It just runs a lot better than conventional oil and makes the sludge issue a lot less likely. As long as you change the oil every 3,000, you will be just fine.

Other members on the forum would know better on specific brands of synthetics if you plan to do it yourself, as I don't change mine myself. Although I have heard Amsoil is a very good synthetic that can go much longer than the usual 3,000 mile interval.
Thanks again, looks like forum will help me to learn a lot about cars.
Since it's my first car , I won't do it by myself. I will take the car to the NTB-National Tire and Battery near my house. They have a deal like $19 Oil change and lots of other services including in this price. Seemed like a good deal but you guys know better. There's also expensive options like $39 high mileage synthetic blend oil and $60 full synthetic blend oil. I'm not sure which one I should choose.

Also considering that I drive this car maximum 5 miles daily and I don't think I can beat 4000 mileage after a year, so I thought I could go for expensive synthetic oil because it will cost just once a year. But would like to ask your opinions before changing the oil.
Old 11-24-14, 10:00 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by taltrap
Thanks again, looks like forum will help me to learn a lot about cars.
Since it's my first car , I won't do it by myself. I will take the car to the NTB-National Tire and Battery near my house. They have a deal like $19 Oil change and lots of other services including in this price. Seemed like a good deal but you guys know better. There's also expensive options like $39 high mileage synthetic blend oil and $60 full synthetic blend oil. I'm not sure which one I should choose.

Also considering that I drive this car maximum 5 miles daily and I don't think I can beat 4000 mileage after a year, so I thought I could go for expensive synthetic oil because it will cost just once a year. But would like to ask your opinions before changing the oil.
Driving 5 miles a day can actually create a lot of sludge in your engine, because your oil will not have enough time to get to operating temperature and burn off any left over moisture. Go with regular engine oil and change it at least every 6 months. Also, take the car out on longer drives, at least once a month (20-30 mile trips).
Old 11-25-14, 04:43 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Driving 5 miles a day can actually create a lot of sludge in your engine, because your oil will not have enough time to get to operating temperature and burn off any left over moisture. Go with regular engine oil and change it at least every 6 months. Also, take the car out on longer drives, at least once a month (20-30 mile trips).
+1, solid advice!
Old 11-28-14, 03:36 PM
taltrap
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Thanks a lot MrBooby,

I was so confused about oil types since it's my first car. I will do it like you advise.