ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

My first DIY oil change with oil extractor, a couple of questions.

Old 11-11-14, 06:36 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default My first DIY oil change with oil extractor, a couple of questions.

I am planning on doing my first oil change with topside oil extractor (Air Power America 5060 Topsider Multi-Purpose Fluid Removing System).

The plan is to pre-warm the engine for a couple of minutes to decrease oil viscosity so it flows better. Then suck all the oil out through the oil dip stick using oil extractor, replace filter ( ill be using Mobil 1 M1-102 Extended Performance Oil Filter), refill with fresh mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic oil.

General question any tips on how to avoid oil mess when changing the oil filter? My understanding is that i just grab it and unscrew but there is lots of residual oil in there, how do you guys avoid the mess? Do you use some sort of pan to catch that residual oil in the filter?

Any other general tips from anyone who has done oil change using oil extractor before?

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT 12/16/2014:

ok folks. i got it done this weekend. worked just fine!

steps:

1. pre-warm car for 5-10min, to get the oil mixed and make it flow better.

2. park on a level surface

3. pop the hood, check the oil level before the oil change, remove oil dipstick, remove oil screw cap

4. insert oil extractor dip stick all the way in until you hit the pan, then pull up ~1/2inch to leave enough room for oil to flow freely. i use this oil extractor:
 link link

5. pump oil extractor 10-15 times, this will create enough suction to get the oil flowing. let it do its thing for 5min or so, then pump 5-10 times more etc. it will keep flowing and all process should take ~20minutes all in all. when you hear that it starts sucking air - you are done!
i got pretty much all of 5 quarts out! the oil extractor has volume marks.

6. remove the oil filter, use plastic bag to wrap around oil filter and catch the drippings. replace with new oil filter, i used mobil 1 extended mileage oil filter.

7. put back the oil stick. add 5 quarts of oil (use funnel!) i used 5 qts of Mobil 1 synthetic from walmart for 27$.

8. check your oil level after oil change, record mileage. Start the engine, check for leaks. You are done!

The process is very simple and allows you to do this yourself and save money and time ! No need to jack up the car! This is perfect for those of us who live in the city! Simple, little to no mess and FAST.

Enjoy!

Last edited by rlx101; 12-17-14 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-11-14, 08:22 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,677 Likes on 2,267 Posts

Why would you try and suck the oil out of the engine when you can just drain it proper? You're going to need a catch pan when you remove the filter so just remove the drain plug and be done with it.
Old 11-11-14, 10:23 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Why would you try and suck the oil out of the engine when you can just drain it proper? You're going to need a catch pan when you remove the filter so just remove the drain plug and be done with it.
Yep.

Plus, I like the idea of getting the oil warm, then letting it flow out the bottom along w/any contaminants or solid particulates. I don't like the idea of dragging said mess back through a drained engine with inconsistent vacuum and leaving them behind in the bottom of the pan.

I can see this having value on some poorly engineered systems were sub-frame members come off to access AT drain screws or fill orifices (lots of vehicles like that these days - very sad). But where it's so easy to do it in a better way - like an oil drain on an ES - why not?
Old 11-11-14, 12:04 PM
rlx101
Advanced

its less messy, i hope, than conventional way + no need to jack up the car is a major bonus, might be helpful especially for those who dont own a house and live in the city, for instance. basically you are stuck either paying someone at the garage or doing it yourself this way.

oil drain plug is on the side, so you are not getting ALL of the oil out anyway, most of it yes, from the reports it seems that oil extractors could do the same or even better job.

Originally Posted by Oro
But where it's so easy to do it in a better way - like an oil drain on an ES - why not?
oil plug on the side in this ES300, so dripping wont get all of the oil out.

Old 11-11-14, 12:31 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I can remove the drain plug without jacking up the vehicle.
I have done it on multiple vehicles. Just reach in.....

It will be messy regardless....unless you don't remove the oil filter.

Drain and fill will be better than extractor....not the other way around.
Old 11-11-14, 01:01 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I can see both points of view. Using the drain plug lets you utilize the momentum of the oil stream to push any contaminents out of the pan. The extractor on the other hand helps contain the oil in one place without dealing with drain pans, funnels, and containers. Like the OP said, it works for people who do not or cannot be under the vehicle. Even removing the oil filter only requires a drip pan, if you're not too concerned about cleaning the engine. I think it's a great alternative for replacing the engine oil.
Old 11-11-14, 01:38 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The 1MZ-FE is sludge monster, I would do all that I could to prevent that. And that includes draining the oil from the drain plug, to ensure all contaminates are removed.

If you can't do the job right, then pay someone to do it!
Old 11-11-14, 02:01 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Some cars, My old Mercedes for example, were designed so that an oil extractor can be used througt the dipstick. Their dipstick was reaching the very bottom of the oil pan for that specific reason.

I don't know how far down the Lexus dipstick reaches, but if it does not reach all the way to the bottom of the oil pan, than its not a good idea to use this procedure.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 11-11-14 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-11-14, 02:51 PM
rlx101
Advanced

were they really designed for oil extractor to be used? or is it just happened that oil extractor gets mosto of the oil out due to the oil pan design?

i will see how much i can get out of my es300 engine this way.

oil filter - looks like there is oil drip pan under the oil filter. is this on es330 only? or doe smy '02 es300 has one too? ill take a look tonight.

Originally Posted by PFB
Some cars, My old Mercedes for example, were designed so that an oil extractor can be used throughout the dipstick. Their dipstick was reaching the very bottom of the oil pan for that specific reason.

I don't know how far down the Lexus dipstick reaches, but if it does not reach all the way to the bottom of the oil pan, than its not a good idea to use this procedure.

Phil
Old 11-11-14, 03:02 PM
rlx101
Advanced

i believe if you pre-warm the engine / re-circulate the oil inside, you should be able to get settled particulates to re-suspend. the oil is pretty viscous and it will take time for particulates to settle down again. oil extractor should be able to get the warm oil out quickly along with not yet settled particulates. i will test this theory soon.
Old 12-16-14, 08:03 PM
rlx101
Advanced

steps:

3. pop the hood, check the oil level before the oil change, remove oil dipstick, remove oil screw cap

4. insert oil extractor dip stick all the way in until you hit the pan, then pull up ~1/2inch to leave enough room for oil to flow freely. i use this oil extractor:
 link link

5. pump oil extractor 10-15 times, this will create enough suction to get the oil flowing. let it do its thing for 5min or so, then pump 5-10 times more etc. it will keep flowing and all process should take ~20minutes all in all. when you hear that it starts sucking air - you are done!

6. remove the oil filter, use plastic bag to wrap around oil filter and catch the drippings. replace with new oil filter, i used mobil 1 extended mileage oil filter.

7. put back the oil stick. add 5 quarts of oil (use funnel!) i used 5 qts of Mobil 1 synthetic from walmart for 27$.

8. check your oil level after oil change, record mileage. Start the engine, check for leaks. You are done!

The process is very simple and allows you to do this yourself and save money and time ! No need to jack up the car! This is perfect for those of us who live in the city! Simple, little to no mess and FAST.

Enjoy!

Last edited by rlx101; 12-16-14 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-17-14, 06:03 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rlx101

little to no mess and FAST.

Enjoy!
How little was the mess you talking about? I am sure there is a little oil puddle from oil coming out of the filter.

Last edited by BDSL; 12-17-14 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-17-14, 09:31 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by rlx101

steps:

4. insert oil extractor dip stick all the way in until you hit the pan, then pull up ~1/2inch to leave enough room for oil to flow freely. i use this oil extractor: link

Enjoy!
Thank you for sharing. I always wondered what I would do if I didn't have a private garage to work on my car.
Old 12-17-14, 12:51 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used an oil extractor on all my cars including my high mileage ES300 without any issues.
No sludge ever and no difference in the amount of oil removed.
It's much faster and of course cleaner to use an extractor.

It's also great for changing transmission oil as well.
Old 12-17-14, 05:34 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Originally Posted by BDSL
How little was the mess you talking about? I am sure there is a little oil puddle from oil coming out of the filter.
im sure with practice you can make it with very little mess. there is a video on you tube where a guy demonstrates this method, basically you line up the plastic bag around and under the filter, then unscrew it, the filter and majority of oil go into the bag. you can put another can or pan under the filter drip pan to catch the remainder of oil.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My first DIY oil change with oil extractor, a couple of questions.