ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

bad news about my strut tower bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-03, 07:42 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default bad news about my strut tower bar

upon selling my 95 ES, i had intentions on giving away via some contest or fair game, my strut bar to someone here. unfortunately, however, upon removal, i noticed how mangled and warped the mounting surface was.
because it isn't that expensive to begin with, and since i am conviced that it will not mount properly without some work, i am rescinding my decision to give it away.
I am just assuming that it warped due to my accident because in my crash, the right side was moderately/severely hit, and that is the side of the bar that is warped. Left side is still bent some, but not as bad.

All others who have bought and installed this bar: i assure you that this bar is pretty safe, i'm not saying YOURS will bend also.

you can compare these bad angle pics and see the (supposed to be flat) mounting surface isn't flat. compare w/ seattleES's pics.

*it doesn't look bad at all in these pics for some reason but when i took it off, it really surprised me how much this tough metal had bent. besides, the 3 bolts coming out of the strut mount are rather "short." if one side of the stb mount is floating, like mine, you will have a hard time trying to bolt it down. every mm counts.
Attached Thumbnails bad news about my strut tower bar-temp.jpg  
Old 03-03-03, 10:15 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hey the actual bar may be of real good use to someone even if the mount isn't.
Is it the wide one or like a round pipe
might be of good use as some people who could just replace their rubbing one
i have the wide oval one so i am not asking for it
Old 03-04-03, 02:13 PM
Seattle ES300
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, after fully tightening my STB, the circular plates did indeed warp a little. I believe that this is because the mounting area is not perfectly flat itself. Your accident may not have introduced any other warps.
Old 03-04-03, 04:27 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally posted by Seattle ES300
Actually, after fully tightening my STB, the circular plates did indeed warp a little. I believe that this is because the mounting area is not perfectly flat itself. Your accident may not have introduced any other warps.
Yeah that's also the case for all the MCV10 and MCV20 and MCV30 chassis. As you torque down on the bolts, it just flexes the metal on the mounting plate.
Old 03-04-03, 09:13 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Seattle ES300
yes, but the right side (where i hit) is mangled, while the other side hardly isn't. i had the bar on using a few different "setups." I noticed also how the mounting surface isn't smooth, so i placed thin washers on 1 or 2 of the bolts to level it out some. i know that you're not really supposed to use washers, but i was just experimenting, and also concerned about the stress the unevenness put on the circular plates. using the washers still rendered the bar effective in terms of handling. front end tightness was pretty obvious to me. i believe the pic i took is after i had re-flattened it out again, somehow. the metal must be weak now