ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Largest wheel size on an ES 300

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-03, 11:00 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by Baby Lex
I've seen 20's on a ES300 before. It was the 92-96 models. Don't know how well it worked for him and can't remember what size tires he was running. But you CAN go with 19's. 19x7.5 with a 40mm backspacing. YOu have to have smaller tires of course. Maybe 35 series. But they WILL fit, and as long as the tire size is small enough you may no have any problems. Maybe if any, the common rubbing in the rear. I believe the 97-up share the same rim fitment with the 92-96's. check this out....http://www.auto-couture.com/catalog/lexus/es300/
20's could possibly work but you'll have no tire left and IMO they'll look really out of place on the car, like the wheels are way too big. It takes a big car with a large profile to look right on 20's. 19's would probably look good and you could do it without problems if you get an 8 inch wide wheel and 225 tires with narrow enough sidewalls to keep the overall diameter close to stock. There's not too much room for diameter growth before you hit the spring mounts in the rear.

My wheels are 18x8 with a 40 offset-225/40 tires, minimal rubbing like I'd said, I don't think you can even tell on the tires after about 25,000 miles (they've been rotated of course). The car is dropped 1.6" with the B&G, Tokico combo and the fenders aren't shaved; although I'll probably do that before long since the rubbing is a little bit of a nuisance. The 225 tires will work well on a 7.5" or 8" wide wheel, the sidewalls are real close to square on my setup, although the actual tread patch will vary a little depending on the brand of tire.

That AutoCouture ES you linked to is hands down the most beautiful ES I've seen, I love that car!
Old 03-03-03, 01:20 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

18x8.5 is definately possible. Ghetto-pimp has 18x8.5 with Eibachs, but of course, it does rub.

Kyle,

I agree the Autocoture ES is definately one of the best lookin' around.
Old 03-03-03, 06:18 PM
Baby Lex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She is a beauty isn't she?
Old 03-31-03, 01:43 PM
LEXBERG
Pole Position

Well is that a good or bad thing? I'm looking into buying some 18's. The package comes with several different tire configurations. I went to several other websites, and I've found that 225/40-18 is the proper tire size. Oh and the offset is 18 x 7.5 ......Will that work without any rubbing?????? Also, will I have to drop the car and how do I go about that, and how much does it cost ? $$$
Old 03-31-03, 02:02 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the term offset is the same as what is meant by back spacing
offset is the measurment of the center of the rim to the center of the hub
basically a 0 degree offset would be a perfectly centered rim with the hub
( where the car actually meets the rim )
meeting the rim in the middle
most are 35 -45 on lexus
i think mine are a 42mm offset
18 X 7.5 is perfect with mm offset
so with a 42mm offset 18x7.5 and a 225/40-18 tire and even a 1 inch drop with a s
ystem and people in the back i have 0 rubbing so i would presume this is a perfect equation
anything bigger is definatly a r&d question
i think i will post a qustion in regards to just that everyones tire size and any rubbing

later
Old 03-31-03, 02:07 PM
LEXBERG
Pole Position

How do I drop it? and how much does it cost? Is it necessary with the 18 in rims X 7.5 offset?
Old 03-31-03, 02:13 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

dropping the car involves changing the springs to lower the ride height
not sure of prices in the states here it is about 500 canadian for a set of springs and labour
and no you don't have to lower the car it is about driving feel but mainly for the look of the car to reduce fender gap
Old 03-31-03, 03:33 PM
LexFather

For those with 18s, how is the ride in the ES? The ES stock has one of the most comfortable rides and I know 18s will hurt this greatly. Would u stay with 18s or go with 17s next time around?

This is a good thread.
Old 03-31-03, 09:01 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

SICK, compared to stock, I would definitely say it's firmer, you feel any bumps more, but it still doesn't ride like a truck or anything. For me, it's well worth it; everything's a trade off but for me the stiffer ride isn't enough to offset the looks and handling. I feel much more comfortable with the car now at higher speeds or in emergency manuevering, and the 18's are IMO a perfect fit cosmetically. They don't look too big or too small, I think 17's look a little small on the ES, but still not bad at all.
Old 03-31-03, 09:14 PM
Baby Lex
Driver

Originally posted by Kyle Harty
SICK, compared to stock, I would definitely say it's firmer, you feel any bumps more, but it still doesn't ride like a truck or anything. For me, it's well worth it; everything's a trade off but for me the stiffer ride isn't enough to offset the looks and handling. I feel much more comfortable with the car now at higher speeds or in emergency manuevering, and the 18's are IMO a perfect fit cosmetically. They don't look too big or too small, I think 17's look a little small on the ES, but still not bad at all.
I think Kyle said it best!
Old 04-07-03, 01:00 PM
kecheme
Driver School Candidate

Smile

You can put on 20's if you wanted I did you can.
Old 04-08-03, 08:54 PM
chuckmabie
Rookie

Default 18" on lexus

I have called a lot of shops 3 out of 15 said they have done it and no problem with 18 x 8.5 but most are saying 7.5 is the widest some even said 17 x 7 was the max. which from this board we know they dont have any idea of what they are thinking.

Any way I think I am going to try the 18 x 8.5 the ship is getting a couple tires mounted to do a fit check next week. I hope it works even if I have to get the fenders rolled or shaved ( as long as it is not to $$$$ ) and they dont rub like a fat chick in jeans.

If Getto Pimp sees this I wish he would give us his opion since someone said he had 18 x 8.5.

I will post as soon as I get a chance to try them out.
Old 12-06-03, 10:37 PM
chuckmabie
Rookie

Default es wheels

I was searching and found this old post and thaought I would update it. I did get the 18. 8.5 and they did rub, I then lowered it with Eibach springs and kyb struts, it still rubbed , I then fender rolled it. it is great now only minimal rubbing with it loaded down, and on sharp sharp corners or very large bumps. but I a am very happy and would recomend

chuck
Old 12-06-03, 11:29 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What exactly is done to your car when you "roll the fenders"?
Old 12-07-03, 08:13 AM
chuckmabie
Rookie

Default rolling fenders

there is a tool it rents for about 65.00 I rented mine from koloa motor sports.com it attaches to you hub has a couple of adjustments you can crank it tight move the handle back and forth and you will roll your inner fender lip up under you can not tell that any adjustments had been made at all and it stopped most rubbing, If anyone is getting any rubbing at all this will help alot.

It is pretty easy to do. Also you do it on a hot day or use a heat gun to keep the paint from cracking or chipping.

chuck

Quick Reply: Largest wheel size on an ES 300