ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Lexus es300 ocv help

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-14, 04:14 PM
ojmoncrief
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LEXUS ES300 Variable Valve Timing Solenoid HELP

I need some help with the location of the OCV's aka (Variable Valve Timing Solenoids) on a 1999 Lexus ES300. I'm trying to do this job myself in order to save money. I have been experiencing rough idling, shaking, etc with my car. I also ran a diagnostic test on the car to give me some sort of insight into what the problem might be and had the code "P1349" pop up on the test screen. I have some time off from my job to hopefully complete the job.

It would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED if someone could show me where the location of the Solenoids are........a step by step process needed to remove the Solenoids.......as well as the tools needed to take the Solenoids out as well.....I will take into deep consideration any positive advice given to me....Thank You

Last edited by ojmoncrief; 09-08-14 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-09-14, 02:01 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

I checked and cleaned mine last month. here are some leads:

-This shows the location of the bolts over the filter bodies and securing the OCV's themselves (scroll down):

TN OCV pics

If you google "1mz-fe ocv" and "images" or other operands you can find good info and pics. There is a thread on this forum re: diagnostics for the OCV. Search this forum for that. here is another thread on OCV repalcement:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ent-diy-3.html
Old 09-09-14, 02:51 PM
ojmoncrief
Driver School Candidate

Thanks man i appreciate the help.....i was able to replace the bank 2 solenoid today....picked up a new one from O'Reilly Auto Parts......i will be replacing the bank 1 solenoid as well later on.....it looks about as bad as the 1 located in that helpful picture you sent me.......i'll keep you posted and post a couple of pics....thanks once again
Old 09-09-14, 03:22 PM
Oro
Racer

Before just replacing them, I would do the test as the diagnostic describes. See AZ-dave's posts in this thread (particularly #36):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ve-filter.html

Also check/clean the filters before replacing the solenoids; sludge there can keep them from working correctly when there is nothing wrong w/them.
Old 09-09-14, 10:39 PM
tormentedb
Driver School Candidate

I just replaced the rear one a few months ago and the front one yesterday. It's pretty easy to do. Even though it's "front" and "rear" or "bank1" and "bank2" they are pretty close to each other. Take the cover off with the 3 bolts, and it's to the right of the intake stuff, you'll need to undo a couple of hoses.

But I have a word of advice - Be very very careful with the bolt that holds the screen in. I have large hands and it was a tight fit and I dropped my bolt. I could not find it, and the end of it is grooved out for the tip of the screen to fit well, so you have to order/buy the bolt directly from Lexus. After having it delivered, it took me extra days to fix and cost me over $60(but i did order 2 bolts as well as replacement screens since I was at it).

What I did the 2nd time was I wrapped the bolt with duct tape and made like a rope that it could hang by while trying to get it started back with my fingers in case I dropped it. Worked great, finally got it started and finished the job up.

Otherwise, easy DIY.
Old 09-11-14, 09:04 PM
ojmoncrief
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your help and insight gentlemen. I've been on the road for a couple times since the last post and so far the car has been running quite well no shaking, rough idling, etc. I do plan on replacing the bank1 solenoid within the next couple of weeks before the cold weather hits.
Old 09-12-14, 12:08 PM
Oro
Racer

Originally Posted by ojmoncrief
Thank you for your help and insight gentlemen. I've been on the road for a couple times since the last post and so far the car has been running quite well no shaking, rough idling, etc. I do plan on replacing the bank1 solenoid within the next couple of weeks before the cold weather hits.
I would save the $100 and just clean it and the filter. It isn't a wear item, it appears, unless oil grade or time between changes has been off. They will go hundreds of thousands of miles with regular oil changes and good quality oil.
Old 09-12-14, 03:09 PM
JazzyQuinn
Driver School Candidate

Definitely try cleaning the filters first and check to make sure the timing belt is properly aligned. I have also had this problem with my 99 and it was solved after I fixed timing belt and cleaned filters. I never had to replace the ocv solenoid and those rarely need to be replaced.