ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

What are my shock options? 2002 ES300

Old 09-05-14, 02:05 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts
Default What are my shock options? 2002 ES300

I am looking to replace all four shocks. The car has 200k+ miles and the original are finally worn (almost all true highway miles so they lasted a long time).

I have gone underneath and all the bushings, links, etc. look good from what is visible and there is nothing noticeable in the ride other than the rear sagging a little bit when fully loaded, and a little more bounce on bumps, but not that bad, honestly. From the top the strut mounts look fine and that fits with the usage history. If I open it up and find some worn ones I'll replace them, but given history and current nice ride, I am pretty confident they are fine.

I have read a lot of past threads via search and it seems the factory cartridges and new boots would be the smart/safest route. I have the tools and space to change the strut assemblies myself, so am thinking of just changing shocks, boots, possibly sway bar bushings, too.

Question 1: are the Lexus cartridges really different than the Toyota ones? I read in old threads they were, but when I look at Lexusparts.now, and compare to Toyota, it gives the exact same part number for I4/V6 Camry and ES300. Are the Lexus ones really different?

I also am unlcear that going with the KYB aftermarket is a bad thing? I see two types listed "Excel-G" and "GR-2" - but not sure what the difference is as the descriptions are basically the same.

Questions 2: does anyone know the sway bar bushing diameter fr/rear if I wanted to get some p.u. aftermarket ones? (Or has anyone done that and have feedback?). I wouldn't mind reducing lateral roll a little bit, which I understand is characteristic of the car, not a worn suspension.
Old 09-05-14, 07:53 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

KYB are stiffer than stock by 15%. I recommend Lexus struts. GR2 and Excel G are the same struts, just a color difference, iirc.
Old 09-05-14, 08:02 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

The Lexus and Toyota struts are the same, you can cross reference the part numbers and find that the Camry struts can be sourced from Toyota dealers for cheaper.

If your strut mounts aren't clunking then IMO I'd keep them as is - too many stories of aftermarket strut mounts causing noises and brand new OEM ones cost as much as the strut themselves.
Old 09-06-14, 06:22 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Don't go with quick struts.

Get KYB struts and keep OEM mounts if they aren't making noise. If you need to replace the strut mounts, OEM only! Don't get aftermarket mounts!

I'm still debating whether or not I want to replace my struts at 208k miles. The ride is still perfect, I only notice some slight sag in the back when fully loaded but then again these cars were always low to the ground.
Old 09-07-14, 08:29 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Thank you guys.

That validates what I was thinking/seeing/reading. I agree not to mess with the mounts unless clear problem as I also read the stories of non oem mounts not working.

I am agreed to avoid quickstruts; if I can find toyota oem within spitting distance price of kyb aftermarket then I am going that way.

Hypervish - yeah, I am in same situation as you. 229k and really only rear sag. Front doesn't dive noticeably braking much. Ride is generally good. There are often kids in the back seat and stuff in the trunk, so I think at minimum new rear but I figure do all four at the same time or same month at least, break it into two jobs on different weekends.

MrBooby - thanks. Yes that is right. i found this on Tirerack.com:

IMPORTANT NOTE: KYB’s silver GR-2 gas series shock absorbers, strut cartridges and struts have the same internal design as the black Excel-G versions. There are no internal differences, changes in quality, performance or application between the silver and black models regardless of place of manufacture. Silver models with the name GR-2 were sold solely for vehicles in the United States and Canada while the black Excel-G models were sold for vehicles in other countries. KYB is moving toward one name and one color and in the future all will be black and labeled with the Excel-G name.

Last edited by Oro; 09-07-14 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-08-14, 05:46 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Rear sag is more due to sagging springs than blown struts. Replace the spring, but make sure you go OEM Lexus (Camry springs are different) to regain stock ride height and comfort.
Old 09-08-14, 05:49 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Rear sag is more due to sagging springs than blown struts. Replace the spring, but make sure you go OEM Lexus (Camry springs are different) to regain stock ride height and comfort.
Yeah, certainly.

Though I'm not going to spring for the springs at first (get it...haha), the KYB's are stiffer than stock to compensate for weak springs (or so they say). So, I'm hoping that will make up for the slight sag.