ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

can anybody tell me what this noise is???

Old 08-16-14, 09:15 AM
jc2005
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can anybody tell me what this noise is???

I have been trying to find out what this problem is for months. My front brake pads only last for a month if i'm lucky before they are grinding again. I have changed the front rotors, brakes, calipers and brake hoses and i'm still having the problem. it only happens at highway speeds and I recorded it while i was driving the link to the video is
. Any help would be appreciated because I am tired of having to have to change my brakes every month.
Old 08-16-14, 09:27 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Did you do the work yourself or at a shop?
Old 08-16-14, 09:39 AM
jc2005
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Did you do the work yourself or at a shop?
I got it done at a shop
Old 08-16-14, 03:51 PM
orion603
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a bulged tire? It's been a while but it seems like the very similar problem I had a long time ago with a bulged tire due to high air pressure.
Old 08-16-14, 06:21 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Does the camry have a 'hanger bearing' on one of the cv shafts cos I'd bet it was that, or something else in the final drive line/ rotating assembly ?

- so, wheel bearing,
- or rotor
- or tyre
- or half shaft (hanger) bearing (one side only). located at the back of the engine on a mounting plate with half shaft through it.
Old 08-17-14, 06:25 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

The specific year and model of your Lexus might help narrow down the issue.
Do the brake pads wear out on both sides or just one?
If the noise is from a tire or the half shaft (cv shaft), it wont effect the brake wear.
A bad wheel bearing could be causing brake pad wear on one side only.

Last edited by Nelexus88; 08-17-14 at 06:29 AM.
Old 08-20-14, 12:27 PM
SharpGent
Pit Crew

Received 122 Likes on 49 Posts

You, my friend, have a serious problem there.

The vibration (if not an absolutely wrecked tired), is your half-axle. You'll get a vibration when you accelerate, and it lessens (a little) when you coast, right? The CV joint is probably dry, and the gears are rubbing.

The only thing that indicates something else is your brake replacement frequency. I would look to see if you've got a seized caliper. You'd notice the car would pull if that was the case, but you never know.

Post a picture of your front tires (I want to see the treads) to see what alignment bits are off. Honestly, I would take it to a local suspension guy you trust and have him drive it and throw it on the rack. Diagnosing it here is difficult. And if I'm right, and it is your CV joint, you're going to brake that half-axle and be stranded.

Good luck! Keep us posted on what you discover at the shop!
Old 08-28-14, 06:08 AM
jc2005
Driver School Candidate

thank you everybody for replying and sorry for taking so long to respond back....one of my best friends of almost 15 years passed away so i been dealing with a lot
Old 08-28-14, 06:10 AM
jc2005
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nelexus88
The specific year and model of your Lexus might help narrow down the issue.
Do the brake pads wear out on both sides or just one?
If the noise is from a tire or the half shaft (cv shaft), it wont effect the brake wear.
A bad wheel bearing could be causing brake pad wear on one side only.
its a 99 es300....they both wear out fast but the driver side goes much faster than the passenger side
Old 08-28-14, 06:20 AM
jc2005
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SharpGent
You, my friend, have a serious problem there.

The vibration (if not an absolutely wrecked tired), is your half-axle. You'll get a vibration when you accelerate, and it lessens (a little) when you coast, right? The CV joint is probably dry, and the gears are rubbing.

The only thing that indicates something else is your brake replacement frequency. I would look to see if you've got a seized caliper. You'd notice the car would pull if that was the case, but you never know.

Post a picture of your front tires (I want to see the treads) to see what alignment bits are off. Honestly, I would take it to a local suspension guy you trust and have him drive it and throw it on the rack. Diagnosing it here is difficult. And if I'm right, and it is your CV joint, you're going to brake that half-axle and be stranded.

Good luck! Keep us posted on what you discover at the shop!
yea thats exactly what it does...it doesn't pull when i brake the vibration just gets a lot more violent when i brake at high speeds...here are the pics you asked for

Old 08-28-14, 08:25 AM
hanime
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

This is definitely not a tire issue. I don't get why people keep saying it's a a tire issue (everywhere online) when clearly his brakes are wearing down fast.

I would check your braking system again. Brakes wearing down at an exponential pace means that it is always engaging at some amount (not releasing fully). This is highly due to stuck calipers or sliders. Check these first! Make sure your DOT3 brake lines do not have bubbles inside them. Bleed them.

Do your rotors heat up after driving for at least 30 mins? How do the brake pedals feel? Do they have any pressure pushing back like normal? How far do you have to push down until the brakes engage? At a stop when you push down on the brakes, do the brake pedals sink in after a while?
Old 08-28-14, 10:56 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Either way I would recommend to go to a different shop so that they can test everything.

Just make sure to explain your issue in great detail so that they don't just replace your brakes again.
Old 08-28-14, 11:29 AM
jc2005
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hanime
This is definitely not a tire issue. I don't get why people keep saying it's a a tire issue (everywhere online) when clearly his brakes are wearing down fast.

I would check your braking system again. Brakes wearing down at an exponential pace means that it is always engaging at some amount (not releasing fully). This is highly due to stuck calipers or sliders. Check these first! Make sure your DOT3 brake lines do not have bubbles inside them. Bleed them.

Do your rotors heat up after driving for at least 30 mins? How do the brake pedals feel? Do they have any pressure pushing back like normal? How far do you have to push down until the brakes engage? At a stop when you push down on the brakes, do the brake pedals sink in after a while?
Everything is fine when I first change them... they do start sinking gradually but I would bet that's because the pads are wearing down...I rarely drive more than about 15 minutes...ever since these problems started I have been really just going back and forth to work which is about 10-15 minutes away
Old 08-28-14, 11:32 AM
jc2005
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Either way I would recommend to go to a different shop so that they can test everything.

Just make sure to explain your issue in great detail so that they don't just replace your brakes again.
I'm actually sitting in one right now...I explained everything to him and even let him see the video I posted on here... so we will see if he can find anything
Old 08-28-14, 04:36 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

actually, that's in the rotating mass so, tyres are definitely an option, so are wheel bearings, and brakes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can anybody tell me what this noise is???