ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

es dvd/nav?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-03, 03:58 PM
cheapsk8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question es dvd/nav?

anybody ever install a dvd/nav in their es? what do you suggest for an audio speaker upgrade?

thanx for any input!
clw
Old 02-23-03, 04:35 PM
Baby Lex
Driver

Thumbs up

No I haven't but will hopefully soon. Depending on how your going to do it, such as indash or a seperate player, I like Clarion & Alpine. good quality products at a reasonable price with tons of features. Speakers hands down is JL Audio all the way! They make GREAT subs, components and whatever speaker they have. They are woth the extra penny. Or should I say dollars. If your gona add an amp and/or a capacitor, then Phoenix Gold is the best. All these are top end equipment woth the money! But if your gona have a top of the line products. You have to get an installer that knows what they are doing. Not some kid at Best Buy or something. A good CLEAN install, using soldering tools, shrink wrap, etc. Good luck to you, and let us know what you'll be doing.

Last edited by Baby Lex; 02-23-03 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-23-03, 09:58 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clarion and Alpine are good for screens, JL Audio sucks for speakers, IMO. Audiobahn, Rockford Fosgate, MTX, Nakimichi, and Diamond Audio are all good speakers/subs. Sony does not make good speakers/subs either. For amps, no sony. RF is good, but they don't give enough power for the money. Audiobahn and autotek make good amps as well as Nakimichi. Do not get JL Audio, JBL, Sony, or Bostwick...

This is based on my opinion and on the opinions of others who have either had or own these products.
Old 02-23-03, 10:27 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this is going to become a flame post but
i have a cva 1005 alpine lcd deck with ps2
Now you ask what "other" people have but what are you looking to ask or find out ? Lots of people have lots of things ,are you asking if it is possible or ?
speakers are speakers no one can tell you what sounds right except you. highs, lows ,rap and classical all are liked an disliked facts are speaker size 5 1/4 frnt door 6x9 rear deack 1 inch on front door sail fin by rearview mirror the speakers in the corner of the dash are not needed when upgrading, if played alone the sound just like they are called squakers.

hope this helps

When the green light drops the bull**** stops......
Old 02-24-03, 12:32 AM
madmadrid
Driver

Originally posted by EGainer
Clarion and Alpine are good for screens, JL Audio sucks for speakers, IMO. Audiobahn, Rockford Fosgate, MTX, Nakimichi, and Diamond Audio are all good speakers/subs. Sony does not make good speakers/subs either. For amps, no sony. RF is good, but they don't give enough power for the money. Audiobahn and autotek make good amps as well as Nakimichi. Do not get JL Audio, JBL, Sony, or Bostwick...

This is based on my opinion and on the opinions of others who have either had or own these products.
Why do you say JL sucks, have you heard the new w7's, they are awesome, some of the best sounding and hardest hitting subs on the market
Old 02-24-03, 01:28 AM
amrit50
Driver

my car-puter has navigation and dvd

Old 02-24-03, 10:18 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: es dvd/nav?

Originally posted by cheapsk8
what do you suggest for an audio speaker upgrade?

thanx for any input!
clw
All depends on what kind of sound you like and how much you want to spend. Speaker choice is very subjective, as you can see there are differing opinions, I'm currently using Digital Designs and am very happy, but they might not be the sound you're looking for. My best advice would be to listen to as many different kinds of speakers as you can and choose what sounds best to YOUR ears. Listen to as many in-car as you can, they will often sound different in the car than they do on a sound board in the shop.

You can fit 6.5's in the front doors without much effort, do a search, I've posted more detail on this a few times before, I think they've ended up in the Electronics forum, which is where this is probably headed before long.

If you're upgrading speakers, you're gonna want to add an amp as well, you won't get much return out of your speaker investment without a better amp to push them.

You can't say one brand or the other is the best, or total crap. I agree on a basic level with many of the statements made; the brands suggested all make quality products that should serve you well if they fit your taste. I'd suggest doing a search in the electronics forum on any brand you're considering to make sure you're looking at a quality product.