ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Hole in FlexPipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-14, 08:23 AM
2k4CamkilA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hole in FlexPipe

I have a hole in my flexpipe, will my car pass inspection?

...probably wont considering it has to do with emisions

Last edited by 2k4CamkilA; 03-24-14 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-24-14, 09:00 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Depends on your location and how they perform the inspection. In NJ, it's just an OBD2 computer check.
Old 03-24-14, 09:03 AM
2k4CamkilA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I live in NY
Old 03-24-14, 09:06 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Depends on your location and how they perform the inspection. In NJ, it's just an OBD2 computer check.
That's how they check emissions and system status'.
Old 03-24-14, 01:13 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Speaking of a leaky flexpipe, anyone know how to replace it on these V6 1MZ / 3MZ engines?

The front of the flexpipe seems very tight with the U-turn from the rear exhaust manifold to cut and weld or clamp on a universal one. The flex pipe and catalytic converter unbolt as one unit but is expensive to replace.
Old 03-24-14, 01:16 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Speaking of a leaky flexpipe, anyone know how to replace it on these V6 1MZ / 3MZ engines?

The front of the flexpipe seems very tight with the U-turn from the rear exhaust manifold to cut and weld or clamp on a universal one. The flex pipe and catalytic converter unbolt as one unit but is expensive to replace.
My Sienna has a similar flexpipe to the ES, and my uncle (ASE certified mechanic) was able to cut out the flex pipe and weld in a new one. Just as he would on other 1MZ-FE engines such my RX300 that don't have the same exhaust setup as these.

Some other shops won't do it though on these, because as you mentioned it's very tight.

Last edited by hypervish; 03-24-14 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-24-14, 03:51 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hypervish
My Sienna has a similar flexpipe to the ES, and my uncle (ASE certified mechanic) was able to cut out the flex pipe and weld in a new one.
When you get a chance, can you nab a photo of the new welded flex pipe? I want to see where it was cut. I assume your Sienna is 3MZ-FE?

I'm thinking I can cut the pipe and clamp in the universal flex pipe myself, and take it to a shop to weld to save me some dough.
Old 03-24-14, 03:58 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

When you get a chance, can you nab a photo of the new welded flex pipe? I want to see where it was cut. I assume your Sienna is 3MZ-FE?

I'm thinking I can cut the pipe and clamp in the universal flex pipe myself, and take it to a shop to weld to save me some dough.
I'm out of state right now, but once I'm back I'll take a picture and PM it to you. It has the 1MZ-FE though. The exhaust is similar in the way that it's shaped however it has two flex pipes compared to just one on the ES.
Old 03-25-14, 08:13 AM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I copy pasted this from one of my early postings here, hope this helps.

"I also had the factory exhaust leak at the front of the flex pipe so I cut it off at about 8" behind the support bracket that mounts to the sub frame and then I got the assembly for a 98 Camry. The cool thing is that the Lexus pipe is double walled and the Camry is not however the Camry Exhaust slid perfectly between the walls, over the inner and under the outer and the flanges bolted up perfectly".
Old 03-26-14, 10:14 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hypervish
I'll take a picture and PM it to you. It has the 1MZ-FE though.
Thanks, maybe you can post the picture here.

I found this shop's website that does exhaust work, and they have lots of pictures of Lexus / Toyota vehicles for reference:

http://www.lgauto.ca/Lexus.html

http://www.lgauto.ca/toyota.html

I'm reading that these pipes are double walled. What does that mean? Is the 2.25" outer diameter including the outside wall? Is that what you'd clamp or weld to, or is that just the heat shield?
Old 03-26-14, 04:26 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

No, they are double walled to be quieter. That is all. And in fact that also means that the Camry exhaust is slightly bigger on the inside.
Old 03-27-14, 07:31 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

So what does that translate to if I want to put in a universal flex pipe? Will I get more noise? Would I be matching the outside diameter to clamp and weld to? What would the inner pipe fit to?

Thanks,
Old 03-27-14, 01:18 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

So what does that translate to if I want to put in a universal flex pipe? Will I get more noise? Would I be matching the outside diameter to clamp and weld to? What would the inner pipe fit to? Thanks,
Yeah, it's gonna sound like a Camry.
Old 03-27-14, 04:59 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Not exactly like a Camry but close. The problem is that if you weld or clamp over the outer pipe, you will have a void for condensed exhaust vapors to build up into and this will cause corrosion within the two layers. The reason I used the collector and flex pipe assembly out of a Camry is that it fit over the inner and under the outer tightly. When I cut off the Lexus pipe I used a tubing cutter to cut the outer and then move back one inch then cut the inner. then when I put it together I welded two beads close together on the inner and then the outer to the end of the Camry pipe joining and sealing all of it together. It worked perfectly and only sounds a little; dare I say, "throatier".

NOTE: My ES is California emissions, the Camry assy I used is Federal. Thus I removed the upper cats. Legal in my state. And I get no CEL only because I also modified the down stream o2 sensor bung. (Not necessary if yours is a Federal car).
Old 03-27-14, 07:24 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mythotical
The problem is that if you weld or clamp over the outer pipe, you will have a void for condensed exhaust vapors to build up into and this will cause corrosion within the two layers.
Exactly my thoughts too.

Originally Posted by Mythotical
When I cut off the Lexus pipe I used a tubing cutter to cut the outer and then move back one inch then cut the inner. then when I put it together I welded two beads close together on the inner and then the outer to the end of the Camry pipe joining and sealing all of it together. It worked perfectly and only sounds a little; dare I say, "throatier".
So you've actually welded the inner pipe separately and then the outer pipe? What if I clamp or weld onto the inner pipe with a universal flex pipe? Are both the downpipe and cat pipe double walled?

I wonder what an exhaust shop would do, forgo the inner pipe and weld on the outside...?

http://www.lgauto.ca/Lexus.html

Before:

After:

Quick Reply: Hole in FlexPipe