ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES330 HVAC diff temps for driver/pass

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-14, 01:32 PM
pinpoint
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES330 HVAC diff temps for driver/pass

Hola. I have dual climate control on my '05 ES330. In the past week wife has noticed that the driver's side a/c vents are not blowing as cold as the passenger side vents. It's still blowing cool, but there is a noticeable difference putting your hand in front of the vents, and definitely seems to not be as cold as before on driver's side. Switching to DUAL also changes the output, so it appears that function is operating properly.

I've poked around the net some and several posters say to make sure that a/c sys is charged. I only have a gauge to read low side, and it says it's okay. I also followed another's suggestion to disconnect the battery for an hour an reconnect. Lastly, i found one guy that said you can cycle the climate control but turning on ignition (not start), hold auto and recirc buttons. None of these seemed to do anything. I am also skeptical (and hopeful ) of it NOT being a blend door prob as it's still blowing cold, not warm.

I will add that I never had reason to put my hand in front of one side then the other prior to wife alerting me to this, so this could just be a quirk in the design. (One post I read said that if the a/c charge is low, you will get cooler output from the passenger side b/c that is where the evap + stuff is located).

My questions are:
1) has anyone else experienced this symptom?
2) does dual-climate use separate plumbing for each side?

Any troubleshooting advice is welcomed. Hate to go to the stealership. Thanks in advance for the help all.
Old 06-06-14, 04:55 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

It might be a stuck gate in the ducting. I think the temperatures are controlled by motorized door flaps in the duct-work to regulate the temperature.

What happens when you put one side to hot and the other side to cold?
Old 06-07-14, 03:34 PM
pinpoint
Driver School Candidate

Default dual temp still works

Originally Posted by speedkar9
It might be a stuck gate in the ducting. I think the temperatures are controlled by motorized door flaps in the duct-work to regulate the temperature.

What happens when you put one side to hot and the other side to cold?
I am able to still get heat on one side and cold on the other, so the dual setting seems ok.
Old 06-09-14, 11:22 AM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find both the battery and ign fuses for the hvac pull them out, count to 30 then replace them. Now start the car and do nothing for about 5 minutes. Sometimes the blend door actuators get out of time and the hvac control unit needs to be rebooted in order to calibrate.

Last edited by Mythotical; 06-09-14 at 11:24 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-16-14, 07:09 AM
pinpoint
Driver School Candidate

Default I believe prob solved

My wife was reporting condensation vapor coming out of the pass vents (the colder side). I recalled this happening in another vehicle I owned and believe that was an indicator that it was low on freon. The low side a/c gauge (only one I have) showed it was a tad low when the compressor was running. I added a can yesterday and in my short test drive, it appears that this may have evened out the temp issue, based on my short test drives yesterday. Fingers and toes crossed... do NOT want to tear the dash apart :-\

Last edited by pinpoint; 06-16-14 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-01-22, 11:04 PM
loliwin55
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Update ?

plz need. Update.
Originally Posted by pinpoint
My wife was reporting condensation vapor coming out of the pass vents (the colder side). I recalled this happening in another vehicle I owned and believe that was an indicator that it was low on freon. The low side a/c gauge (only one I have) showed it was a tad low when the compressor was running. I added a can yesterday and in my short test drive, it appears that this may have evened out the temp issue, based on my short test drives yesterday. Fingers and toes crossed... do NOT want to tear the dash apart :-\
Old 08-01-22, 11:46 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 749 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by loliwin55
plz need. Update.
Hello,

Please start a new thread elaborating on the issue you have, people on this thread haven't been around for about 8 years by now. Without knowing the specifics of your particular issue, it will be really difficult to come up with a constructive answer.

Hope this helps and best of luck!