ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Damaged rubber bush, how would it affect my car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-14, 10:00 AM
Aman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Damaged rubber bush, how would it affect my car?

Hello Everyone.

Lately, I have been feeling as if there is some suspended weight in my car's front part as I drive over bumps; it often shakes like it never did before.

I have found a damaged rubber bush on a bar that holds some part of the engine but I am not really sure if this is causing the problem.

Can you please have a look at the picture, I need to know how it would affect the driving experience and should I keep on driving or it's dangerous in some way?

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Attachment 323494
Old 04-10-14, 10:05 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

The good news is that part is extremely easy to replace, you can do it yourself in a few minutes you don't even need to support the engine just swap it out. Lexus calls that an "engine moving rod" but it's also knows as the dogbone. I recommend getting a Lexus/Toyota part they last much longer.

The bad news if you might have other mounts that are going bad, so those should be carefully inspected and replaced if needed. If you only replace the dogbone and other mounts are failing, the new part will fail in short order due to excessive stress.
Old 04-10-14, 02:23 PM
Aman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
The good news is that part is extremely easy to replace, you can do it yourself in a few minutes you don't even need to support the engine just swap it out. Lexus calls that an "engine moving rod" but it's also knows as the dogbone. I recommend getting a Lexus/Toyota part they last much longer.

The bad news if you might have other mounts that are going bad, so those should be carefully inspected and replaced if needed. If you only replace the dogbone and other mounts are failing, the new part will fail in short order due to excessive stress.
Thank you.

It is possible to get the rubber bush alone or I must replace the rod?

I will surely get an original part and will have a look at the other mounts as well. Are they easily accessible for inspeciton?

Thanks again
Old 04-10-14, 02:48 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

The rubber is bonded to the metal you replace the entire unit. Do a search for 12363-20020. Seeing you need the part anyway, you should go ahead and replace it then check the amount of engine movement. Here's a good vid to illustrate what to look for

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EYQSpkOpWw
Old 04-12-14, 07:30 PM
ebnub
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aman
Hello Everyone.

Lately, I have been feeling as if there is some suspended weight in my car's front part as I drive over bumps; it often shakes like it never did before.

I have found a damaged rubber bush on a bar that holds some part of the engine but I am not really sure if this is causing the problem.

Can you please have a look at the picture, I need to know how it would affect the driving experience and should I keep on driving or it's dangerous in some way?

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Attachment 323494
Is it a banging clunking noise? You should check your suspension components first, mainly the strut tower assembly. Sounds like it could be a bad strut or upper strut mount.
Old 04-16-14, 11:19 AM
Aman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000

I have just replaced the dogbone with a new, I'll check it on the way back home in the morning. The other mounts seem to be okay, there is no visible cracks or marks on them.

Thank you