ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Engine & Suspension Problem...

Old 02-09-03, 06:15 PM
ESES
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine & Suspension Problem...

Recently i have felt my engine vibrate alot more then before when i'm at idle at the stoplights... also my suspension rattles alot whenever i go over bumps or pot holes... what could be wrong?
Maybe my suspension and my engine bushings are worn? i'm not sure cause my car only has about 88,000km on it... i'd think the bushings would last longer...
Are those cover under warrenty by any chance?
Any help is appreciated...
Old 02-09-03, 06:22 PM
LGJeff
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also been experiencing a lot of rattling going over bumps lately, kind of like a shallow clatter from the two front wheels (maybe the rear but if so much quieter). If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd be very interested.
Old 02-09-03, 07:38 PM
bibbens
Driver School Candidate

Same 2 problems here. The suspension is a bit noisy and doesn't feel real solid, if you know what I mean. Has anyone replaced struts/strut mounts and noticed a significant difference in this area?

As far as the vibration, I purchased a '98 used 3 months ago with 75K miles. At first, everything was very smooth. Recently, I am also getting stronger vibrations while in gear and stopped, most noticeable thru the steering wheel. I can also feel it slightly on the dash, etc. I would think my problem isn't the motor mounts, as it would appear to be a coincidence they started to degrade so recently after purchase. Has anyone improved the vibration thru the use of a specific type of oil? Mobil 1 or another synthetic? Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.
Old 02-10-03, 08:13 AM
njes300
Pole Position

I had the same problem when i first purchased the car w/ 20 k miles . Lexus replaced both struts and mounts problem went away .
Tires also made a difference .
Old 02-10-03, 12:57 PM
LGJeff
Rookie

Hmm... does anybody know how much the struts/mounts combo goes for if the car's not under warranty? It might be something that would be worth replacing to me.
Old 02-10-03, 04:08 PM
ESES
Driver

Alright just got my car checked at the dealership today... bad news
The mechanic told me about the suspension problem but i forgot to tell them to check the engine vibrate problem... for the suspension problem he said i needed to replace both front shock tower mounts!! OUCH...
I got an estimate about $700CDN!!... I'd though Lexus would have made a better quality car... at least the shock tower mounts should last more then 100,000km... IMO
So screw that i'm just going to drive the **** out of it for a while more then sell it...
Old 02-10-03, 05:02 PM
LGJeff
Rookie

hmm, i'll take it in have it checked out, then. thanks for your posts
Old 02-10-03, 07:56 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

for a few thousand miles before i sold my ES, it was noticeably vibrating at stop lights (but i wouldn't consider it serious).

replacing both front shock tower mounts?? hmmm, in my ES, the rear shocks went out first and i replaced that a whiles back. as long as the other parts of your suspension is "ok" (i.e. cv boots, strut itself, etc) i guess you could drive the living lights out of it and sell it!! good luck though
Old 02-11-03, 04:11 PM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

one of my rear shocks has already gone out. it's squeaking and bouncy. not cool. but the car stays in the family until it dies, so we'll see how long it'll last before the other three die. i haven't had any other suspension problems, so on we go.
Old 02-11-03, 09:19 PM
ESES
Driver

I don't think it will affect the driving much... just rattles really really loud when going over pot holes or road bumps...
Old 02-21-03, 06:43 AM
Baby Lex
Driver

I replaced al my struts with TOKIKO's. Problem gone. No rattling anymore and much better handling. Plus is probably cheaper? My engine used to somewhat vibrate at idle too. I replace the engine mounts. They where a lilttle worn do to the fact that the car had been sitting more than driving. But all is replaced and all is well.
Old 02-21-03, 07:13 AM
njes300
Pole Position

how much did you get done in for?
Old 02-21-03, 07:16 AM
Baby Lex
Driver

I got all 4 struts with installation for around $550.00
I went ahead and ordered some Eibach springs while I was at it and put those in the same time they replaced the struts. So a grand total of labor, struts & springs $725.00...Not bad for a whole new suspension set up!

Last edited by Baby Lex; 02-21-03 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-21-03, 08:04 AM
bibbens
Driver School Candidate

Baby Lex, where did you get that kind of pricing?
Old 02-21-03, 08:10 AM
Baby Lex
Driver

At a local performance shop here. If you search the web you should find struts for a reasonable price, depending on what year. Check out RODMILLEN.COM and as for the springs go to ebay or a place called e3racing I think, they should have specials right now for springs. As for the labor you guys have to figure that one out. I knew the people well. Any sho[ that can replace struts can replace springs. Call and ask around and see how much they will charge for labor then see how much you can get the parts for. Then its all up to you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine & Suspension Problem...