ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

'95 ES300 Yellow Oil Light + smoke (oil level fine)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-14, 04:27 PM
arandomES
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 ES300 Yellow Oil Light + smoke (oil level fine)

Everything about this car is great, especially it's very smooth transmission and engine. You would feel like there is nothing wrong, but-

The yellow oil level light comes on intermittently at operating temperature. I have searched everywhere and it seems that the red oil can light is for pressure, and the yellow oil can light is for oil level.

My oil level has not been low or high, I have even changed the oil in case of an inaccurate reading. The light still comes on and off (not flashing, just fades in and out). If I come to a sudden stop it will go off (coincidence).

The lady I got the car from said she has to add oil about twice a week, didn't get info on qts/miles.

It doesn't seem to smoke until the car has been warmed up. It doesn't always smoke, but when it does, it happens while accelerating, and it is quite a lot. I noticed the oil light coming on at the same time it smoked.

From my rear view the smoke is white, but I can't confirm the color from that view. It has to have a blue tint, since she said it was going through oil like that.

I have not had any tests done (compression, leakdown, etc) or checked for sludge. The oil was pretty dark when I changed it the first day I had it. I like the car and would love to get extra miles from the current motor, but nervous about spending money if it sounds done. I would also really like to learn why the oil level light comes on when the oil level is constantly good!

PS. I also can't get an accurate reading at all via oil dipstick. There is a film that reaches halfway up the dipstick (no matter how many times I wipe it down, no matter how long I let it sit). I can sometimes get a reading on the back though (same dipstick position as always, just the backside of it) but I don't really trust it. I am positive the oil levels are good, it stays on after I change the oil/filter. The light stays on with the dipstick film no matter what the oil levels are.

PPS: Only code right now is 02 sensor. The cat/egr tabs are blinking as well. I changed the PCV.

Last edited by arandomES; 03-28-14 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-28-14, 04:34 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Originally Posted by arandomES
PS. I also can't get an accurate reading at all via oil dipstick.
Why? ........
Old 03-28-14, 05:20 PM
arandomES
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Why? ........
There is a film of oil that reaches halfway up the dipstick (definitely sure I didn't overfill). On the back of the dipstick, it seems like I can get a reading but I don't trust it! I will add this to the post to clarify sorry about that.
Old 03-28-14, 05:38 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

For starters, make sure that yur PCV valve s not blocked, and functioning correctly. An easy 10min job

That film that you're talking about isresidual oil that clings to the dipstick. Remove the dipstick, wipe it down and reinsert it. Let the car sit overnight on a level ground and measure your oil level the next day. Make sure that the oil is hot before you park it.

Mine does the same thing when I try to measure my oil,

Last edited by PFB; 03-28-14 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-28-14, 06:00 PM
arandomES
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PFB
For starters, make sure that yur PCV valve s not blocked, and functioning correctly. An easy 10min job

That film that you're talking about isresidual oil that clings to the dipstick. Remove the dipstick, wipe it down and reinsert it. Let the car sit overnight on a level ground and measure your oil level the next day. Make sure that the oil is hot before you park it.

Mine does the same thing when I try to measure my oil,
I have done all of this as well, will add to the original post. But one thing, the pcv valve didn't have a rubber grommet, should it? If so, is it necessary? I read somewhere it is not but still plan to get one to be safe, along with a pcv from the dealership.
Old 03-28-14, 06:06 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

There should be a rubber grommet there, otherwise you won't have proper vacuum to suck out the fumes.
Old 03-28-14, 06:22 PM
arandomES
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PFB
There should be a rubber grommet there, otherwise you won't have proper vacuum to suck out the fumes.
I wonder if it fell in
Old 03-28-14, 06:37 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Yes, it could have fallen in. They tend to dry out and disintegrate when disturbed. Some had had luck removing the pieces with long nose pliers, or similar tools. Either way it's not a big deal.

See the following post:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...pcv-valve.html

Last edited by PFB; 03-28-14 at 06:41 PM.