ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Trying to get air con working...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 05:51 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You've been lead in the right direction by mwa320drvr, however, he was wrong when he pointed out the "resistor" I also looked up on the web the part he was referring to, however I couldn't find the actual name for it. But when I looked at the EWD, theres is no resistor component mentioned. There is a resistor in the circuit, but it is located in the A/C power transistor. A simple way to describe a transistor is that it is basically a switch.

The diagram he showed you doesn't really do a good job on helping you locate where the part itself is, I will attach a photo of the component location, which again I apologize might not help you so much as you have a RHD vehicle and I only have photos of LHD vehicles, but hopefully it gives you an idea. The A/C power resistor is located on the driver side (LHD) basically at about the level of the climate control.

I will attempt to look up if there are any testing specifications, however, with the conditions your having it does sound like s resistor issue or quite possibly the transistor has failed, regardless, they are housed in the same part so if you replace one your replacing both.

Old 03-03-14, 06:32 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gtstcactus
Looking at the FSM diagnostic chart I'm thinking it looks like either the "power transisitor circuit" or the extra high relay circuit.......

The FSM suggests those as the 2nd and 3rd option to check when you have "no blower control
Looks like you've already got what I was looking at. In the same section you found the diagnostic matrix, look at the Power Transistor Circuit - Troubleshooting. This explains how to test the transistor. Let me know if you don't have that document and i'll upload a snapshot of it.
Old 06-23-15, 12:22 PM
lgree
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gtstcactus
Could someone point in me in the general direction of this dastardly resistor responsible for one one speed heater / air con system???

hello gtstcactus, did you ever get your ac working, im going through the same thing but mine is not working at all. when i tested it on the battery it spins just fine. my ac is cold but the blower does not work at all. any ideas on how you got yours to work