ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Is wiring and other bits present in 2nd gen 3ES when option not picked at factory?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-14, 01:40 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is wiring and other bits present in 2nd gen 3ES when option not picked at factory?

While I was changing the shocks the other week I noticed the connectors for the TEMS suspension are installed in my Windom even tho it wasn't optioned from the factory. There is also a status light for the suspension in the instrument cluster, tho it doesn't come on. What is the likely hood of the connectors being present to connect the switch that controls the tems? Does it operate with an ECU? Are the connectors and appropriate wires likely to be present already?? How hard would it be to add this option using parts from wrecked vehicles?

I was having a poke around under the dash/steering wheel and found some unidentified connectors which aren't plugged into anything also... I wonder what these are for...???? SRS Airbag? Cruise control? ABS? TRC?

The original buyer of my car in Japan didn't exactly go to town with the options on this - some of which are standard when Lexus badged I presume....

I also noticed the wiring and connectors are present in the boot for the CD stacker, it wouldn't surprise me if the wiring was there for the rear air/con unit thing that some cars are optioned with...

The ABS sensors aren't installed but I wonder how much of the required wiring is in place, if any. Same goes for the traction control....

Would it be possible to add ABS, and traction control also by obtaining the required ECUs and other parts not there... I wonder if the connectors are there for the traction control switch?? Anyone know?? The warning lights are all in the dash tho they don't light up, perhaps a light bulb or 2, or maybe they only go with an ECU present, I don't know..

It's not necessarily something I'm planning on doing, it's just something that I got wondering about after finding the "ground work" already laid for the TEMs etc....
Old 02-08-14, 09:21 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes the AVS can be added I have done so check it out https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=695168

Other functions may be pre wired as well though ABS would likely be missing some hard to add physical parts on a car without. That precludes traction and stability control which use the ABS hardware.
Old 02-09-14, 05:58 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Power6
Yes the AVS can be added I have done so check it out https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=695168

Other functions may be pre wired as well though ABS would likely be missing some hard to add physical parts on a car without. That precludes traction and stability control which use the ABS hardware.
Very cool project!

As I'm in New Zealand and we have RHD cars here it would be even easier for me.... Everything to do the suspension should be a straight bolt up job...

I wonder if it's the same with a 2ES & 3ES... I know the wiring is present on my windom for the tems suspension....