ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300 has fuel/spark, but no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-14, 12:04 PM
es300X2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES300 has fuel/spark, but no start

Hey guys,
This is my first post on here. I have loved reading posts and hope to provide help in the future.
I have an issue with my 2001 es300. It is my daily driver. It sat outside during our recent polar vortex cold blasts and snow and has run great up to this point. I tried starting the vehicle in subzero temps and got the car to crank but it will not fire. When I popped the hood, SNOW had accuulated across the entire top surface of the engine from the high winds. I tried the starting fluid in the air intake - no fire - not even once. I pulled the spark plugs (on the front 3) and have spark on all three.
I sprayed a little starting fluid down each cylinder, replaced them and tried to start - no fire - it only cranks.
I replaced the front thee spark plugs - no difference. I have since pushed the car in the garage and have tried to diagnose. These are the following things I've tried. Checked fuel pump. It doesnt seem to turn on when I turn the key to ON, but when I crank the motor (I loosened the bolt on end of fuel rail and fuel squirts out nicely). I've checked all relays for fuel pump(EFI), main ecu relay, fuel pump fuses etc - all check out ok. When I remove spark plugs after trying to start - plugs look wet and smell of fuel.
Checked timing belt (removed top 3 bolts to see if it broke, but it turn when the engine is cranked and turns the cam)
I've also replaced coolant sensor (computer one in the rear)
Not sure where to go from here!! Could it be ECU?? I know cars only need spark, fuel, timing and compression - could it be cam sensor? I thought of crank sensor - but thought if that was bad I wouldn't have spark?? ARGh very frustrated at this point - ANY help or direction would be greatly appreciated!!
One other bit of info - Checked compression on front 3 cylinder (I believe it 2,4,6 cylinders) - They came out low 90-100 on each one. Thought maybe that could be fuel washed cylinders after many attempted starts.
Let me know if anyone has any advice!!
Thanks in advance
Old 01-28-14, 12:58 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You need air, fuel, and spark for engine to run.
Looks like your have checked fuel and spark.

Your compression is low. Maybe your intake is clogged somewhere....
Old 01-28-14, 05:31 PM
es300X2
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for reply. I will look more closely at that tonight.
I did hook up OBD scan tool, which came back with no codes. However, for the last year I had a check engine light on, but was told by a mechanic that it was the oxygen sensor (air/fuel sensor) pre-heating mechanism only - that the actual sensor worked fine once the car was up to temperature.
So the fact that it shows no codes - made me wonder about ECU?
Old 01-28-14, 05:40 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by es300X2
Thanks for reply. I will look more closely at that tonight.
I did hook up OBD scan tool, which came back with no codes. However, for the last year I had a check engine light on, but was told by a mechanic that it was the oxygen sensor (air/fuel sensor) pre-heating mechanism only - that the actual sensor worked fine once the car was up to temperature.
So the fact that it shows no codes - made me wonder about ECU?
Can scanner actually connect to the ECU or does it have connectivity issue? When ecm died on our car, scanner could not connect to ecu, had error message about not being able to connect. Might check your timing belt, if it snapped-car would crank but not start.
Old 01-28-14, 05:54 PM
es300X2
Driver School Candidate

Im pretty sure its connecting. It actually comes back and displays "no codes found"
Old 01-28-14, 05:55 PM
es300X2
Driver School Candidate

Timing belt was checked - its good
Old 01-28-14, 08:28 PM
es300X2
Driver School Candidate

BDSL
I took apart air filter hosing, throttle body and blew are vacuum hoses out - no luck, still no fire.
I also added a little oil to the front three cylinders (2,4,6) and it brought my compression up to 155-165 on each cylinder. Dried the plugs out, changed the oil and tried again.........still no fire.
I also tested the front cam sensor with multimeter and it seems to check out fine....ohms were between 800 and 900, which I read were within specs.

If anyone else has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it......I'm still thinking ECU maybe.
I may have to get it towed to nearest shop.....which Im trying to avoid
Thanks
Old 01-29-14, 06:46 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I am stumped too....
You have spark. You have fuel. You have compression.
The engine cranks but no start....
It should start but maybe not smoothly if too much/little fuel/air....

Did you disconnect any electrical connectors?
Once in a blue moon, when I am doing oil change on some cars, I would unplug the electrical connector to the MAF/MAP sensors, then I forget to plug the connector back. I would get crank but no start.
Old 01-29-14, 04:41 PM
hzt30
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try pushing and holding the gas pedal about half way while cranking the engine. I have seen stuck closed IAC valves cause a no start do to lack of air entering the intake. Does the engine sound like it is cranking normal?
Old 01-29-14, 07:10 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by hzt30
Try pushing and holding the gas pedal about half way while cranking the engine. I have seen stuck closed IAC valves cause a no start do to lack of air entering the intake. Does the engine sound like it is cranking normal?
Try that and check your intake ducts, you could have a block of ice or snow clogged in there.

Try cleaning out your IACV - although a bad IACV will usually let the car start but not run. Also make sure your MAF sensor is working and/or plugged in. I once forgot to reconnect the harness to my MAF sensor after cleaning it, and the car would crank but not start. Lastly, your timing could be off. When was the last time it was serviced?
Old 01-30-14, 11:46 AM
es300X2
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for the replies.
I did take air intakes apart, blew air and sprayed some carb cleaner in there while opeing closing butterflies...blew air through all vacuum hoses, holes etc.
Regarding timing....I havnt had car serviced anytime recently....did most hings myself. Does timing randomly get off??
I do know timing belt is good.

Regarding IACV - I not totally sure what or where that is....I'll try looking it up and definetley try cleaning it out. Is there a way to test MAF to see if it's bad....probably not too expensive to just replace right? I did disconnect it when taking air intake apart and reconnected it, but not sure how to tell if it's bad.....
Thanks again for the help
Old 01-30-14, 01:29 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

IACV = Idle Air Control Valve. It's part of the throttle body and often gets clogged with carbon. Timing can be thrown off for all types of reasons. You would have to align all timing marks to check that.

Let us know if you find a solution.
Old 01-30-14, 01:31 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Perhaps bad fuel or water in the fuel
Old 02-01-14, 10:04 AM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure you have spark? If you were to squirt some starting fluid in cylinder it would've started for a bit. Perhaps water/moisture in fuel line and/or frozen fuel line.
Old 02-01-14, 11:53 AM
es300X2
Driver School Candidate

Hey al to post some answers here.....
I finally broke down and took the car into a shop for a diagnosis.. It's only a preliminary answer, but the technician said I have great compression in the front 3 cylinders (2,4,6...i believe), but the back three (i didnt check these because of how difficult to access) had only 100# even with adding a little oil to each one Mind you car hasnt been started for about 3 weeks and had repeat start attempts. he also said there was no fuel to back plugs, but ample fuel to the front 3.
Technician thinks timing belt jumped and the car is out of time...

The timing belt has never been replaced...like I should have for a car with 225K.
Ill post the for sure fix once I get it back and running....hpe this helps some one in future

Quick Reply: ES300 has fuel/spark, but no start