ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

depressing

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-03, 06:35 AM
DesertRat
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default nervous

Originally posted by Nabeel
Gaskets are a very common problem, as is motor mounts, CV boots, guage needles, and a few others. On the other hand, a lot of cars have problems that pop up in the 50-60K mile range. Get all the work done and you *should* be good until around 100K, when the next round of repairs will pop up. Cars are funny like that....

edit- If it helps you any, I went through this period w/ my old ES about 2 years ago. Everything started to go wrong simultaneously- head gasket, cv boots, motor mounts, a/c......

But I stuck with it, and the car has been pretty much trouble free since then, with the exception of the A/C which I never bothered to fix anyway.
I don't care what you guys say, the problems I keep reading about in this forum are NOT normal for a car that is supposed to be "better than the rest". My '96 ES is beautiful and was pampered by the previous owners, as documented by the selling/servicing dealer. It has 72k miles, and has problems that just don't seem to happen to other cars (especially Hondas), even when they have more than 100k miles. I need to keep my car for another year, at least, maybe two, and I'm really hoping nothing major and costly craps out on it--but I'm pretty nervous about the liklihood of that. I doubt I'll buy another Lexus. They are very neat and sexy, but seem kinda junky in the overall quality area. I'll probably get a Honda/Acura (I KNOW they're good), or check into Infiniti--love that G35 coupe!

I'm starting to think Lexus (and Toyota) is like Harley and BMW. If you ask most people who they think makes the best motorcycles, they'll usually say Harley or BMW. There's no basis in fact for those perceptions, however; they are just perpetuated by word of mouth by people who don't know much about bikes.
Old 02-03-03, 11:08 AM
njes300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree somewhat . I think all the es's have pretty much the same problem . I had all my seals replaced @ 57k miles and i have owned the car since 20k without ever missing an oil change or service .
Old 02-03-03, 01:07 PM
es3windom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all cars have its flaws...

but in my situation... the previous owner of my es (windom) didnt really give a crap about the car... he didnt regularly serviced the car at all... nor maintained it's beauty... there was no book records whats so ever to... and i took a big risk in buying this car...

when i got it, the car required:
- a full service (even though it was 57k)
- my radiator needed serviced .. .
- the alternator belt was wearing out...so i had to get that replace.. and other things..
- had problems with my alternator (it wouldn't charge the battery)

after all the major serviced has been done.. my car 'now' is running smoothly... the last thing i have done was getting my front and rear wheels aligned... but now i just need to get new break pads.. and need to get my problem with my coolant overflowing fixed.

i guess everyone has to face it... car service is a regular thing .. just like paying your phone bills (im exaggerating here)... it can be very expensive and cheap... we just need to be prepared for it..

but seriously my car now (with extra care and love) it's running great... despite its harsh history... and it really made me believe how durable these cars can be....

---

im predicting my next major problem would be my gasket - what u think?..
Old 02-03-03, 05:28 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 95 ES with 118k

I have a 95 ES with 118k miles which I've personally owned/driven for 5 years and 90k. In that time, I've had no major problems (and I really beat the shi*t out of the car). The only repair issues I've had are:

1. Both front CV boots at 100k.
2. AC Expansion valve at 100k.

This puppy is still purring like a kitten and I will never buy anything but a Lexus. In fact, this car is running so good, I can't justify getting rid of it! (Even though I have my eye on a preowned 2002 ES)