ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Engine Oil Flush

Old 12-29-13, 07:34 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

There is no way that the Type of oil, and its viscosity is not stated in your owner's manual. Its usually in the back of the manual under "Specifications", or something similar. You must have missed it somehow.

The Viscosity should definitly also be stamped on your oil cap. If its not there, than you may not have the original Oil cap that came with the car.

Also, Don't you have in NZ a toll free Windom/Lexus/Toyota Telephone support number that any Toyota car owner can call and ask? There may be a sticker on your window with that number, or the dealer should be able to provide it for you.

As a final piece of advise, please determine with certainty which oil the Toyota factory specified for this car before you proceed with an oil change.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 12-29-13 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-29-13, 08:09 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PFB
There is no way that the Type of oil, and its viscosity is not stated in your owner's manual. Its usually in the back of the manual under "Specifications", or something similar. You must have missed it somehow.

The Viscosity should definitly also be stamped on your oil cap. If its not there, than you may not have the original Oil cap that came with the car.

Also, Don't you have in NZ a toll free Windom/Lexus/Toyota Telephone support number that any Toyota car owner can call and ask? There may be a sticker on your window with that number, or the dealer should be able to provide it for you.

As a final piece of advise, please determine with certainty which oil the Toyota factory specified for this car before you proceed with an oil change.

Phil
The owners manuals available here have been translated from Japanese by some independent outfit that do all sorts of manuals. I will check again but I'm certain the manual I have doesn't specify what oil to use. I will check the cap again........ I will have a look for a lexus / toyota helpline, I suspect they will be working off the same page as the chap I talked to this morning, who also confirmed it with another chap at lexus/toyota..

I think the issue at hand here is no factory ever specified any paticular oil type for Windoms in New Zealand. It is a Japanese import, which spent the first few years of it's life in Japan.
Windoms were never made for the NZ market, I don't think the ES300 with the 3VZ-FE was ever made for the NZ market either. Everything (almost) is an import here. So whatever the factory specified was surely for Japan or the North American climate??
Old 12-29-13, 09:19 PM
deez188
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PFB
He is totally WRONG.

Please don't do that to your car.

Phil
You're going to love what I use.

For the earlier models I am using a 20W-50(SJ/CF) I use it in the early model 5S-FE and also in the 3VZ-FE

For the 1MZ (later model) I use a 10W-30(SM/CF)

If I need to, at this point I chose not to for the later model I can use a 5W-30 Fully Synthetic.

I can't see using a 15W-40 being "the wrong" oil to use. My service dept uses a 15W-40 for their earlier models also.

Cheers Damo.
Old 12-30-13, 06:08 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by gtstcactus
The owners manuals available here have been translated from Japanese by some independent outfit that do all sorts of manuals. I will check again but I'm certain the manual I have doesn't specify what oil to use. I will check the cap again........ I will have a look for a lexus / toyota helpline, I suspect they will be working off the same page as the chap I talked to this morning, who also confirmed it with another chap at lexus/toyota..

I think the issue at hand here is no factory ever specified any paticular oil type for Windoms in New Zealand. It is a Japanese import, which spent the first few years of it's life in Japan.
Windoms were never made for the NZ market, I don't think the ES300 with the 3VZ-FE was ever made for the NZ market either. Everything (almost) is an import here. So whatever the factory specified was surely for Japan or the North American climate??
Hopefully someone on this board from the Florida area in the USA who still has his owner's mannual for his 92 es300 can chime in and inform us as to what his owner's manual, or his oil cap specify for his vehicle.

Last edited by PFB; 12-30-13 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-30-13, 12:02 PM
vintagelex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the original manual for my 92, so hopefully this helps. Under normal conditions, you are supposed to use 10w30 (that's also what's on the oil cap). If most driving is done in temperatures under -40 (like if you live in the Arctic circle, etc) you are supposed to use 5w30.
Old 12-30-13, 03:47 PM
deez188
Driver School Candidate

The models sold on the US market have an oil type printed on the cap. The models we have in Australia and the "imports" NZ have will not, being JDM vehicles. We use oils based on or close to what the manual specifies and having a rule of thumb an all round decent viscosity happens to be 10W-30

Given the age and wear and tear I use the 20W-50 oil I would use a 15W-40. As I don't have any problems using the 20W-50

That is just my preference though. You can use what ever you like. Stick to the 15W-40. That's choice bro.
Old 12-31-13, 07:21 AM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW my 98 says 5w30 on the cap. 5w20, 5w30, 10w30, 10w40, 15w40 all become 10w at normal engine operating temperature. The only harm done with using oil that is too heavy is when you first start the car. IMHO 15w40 is really not going to hurt you too bad in NZ but do not try that here in Montana. Be advised that it may shorten your engine life a little but really what is 1% of 300,000+ miles anyways.
Old 12-31-13, 08:14 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

If memory serves, the manual on this car spec'd 10W-30 for intense heat, 5w-30 for more moderate temps.

I wouldn't put the 40 in the car. The oil passages on the early years were very small indeed.
Old 01-15-14, 11:22 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Changed the oil & filter 2 weeks ago, the stuff that came out was filthy black crap, clearly had been there a very long time....

I used Shell Helix HX5 - 15w40 as per the local Lexus / Toyota dealers recommendation. Seems to be going good so far.

I appreciate everyone's input...
Old 01-15-14, 11:36 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Guys, stick with what the owner's manual specifies.

Your oil pump is a positive displacement pump and might not able to supply the sufficient head (flow) of oil to every part of your engine.....

Most Toyota/Lexus's use 5W20, 5W30, 10W30.
Old 01-15-14, 08:46 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

The reason I went with what the Lexus/Toyota dealers recommended (and put in the ES300/Windoms they service) is I figure they've concluded that's what's best for the vehicle given the local conditions temperature, climate, whatever...

There is no manual / instructions for these vehicles specific to New Zealand / Australia... After checking with the local dealership, and then having folks on here say it was no go, I checked with other dealerships around the country and got the same answer...

Anyway not trying to convert or convince anyone that's just what I've gone with.. I think just about any new oil would have been an improvement over what was in there...
Old 01-16-14, 06:25 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Your engine temperature is regulated by the thermostat...around 180degF (80degC). Even if your ambient temperature is higher, it will not necessarily means your engine will be hotter for normal operation.

The only main difference is the cold start where in some part of the world, it is way below 32degF (0degC). Therefore, those vehicles are recommended to have 5wXX or 0wXX oil. The "XX" is the viscosity of oil at operating temperature.
Old 02-03-14, 03:44 PM
gem9209
Driver School Candidate

from my past experiences always use 10w 30 you cant go wrong it says it on the engine oil cap and on the dipstick as well on my 93. stick to the forums you never know who to trust at shops and stores now a days but no1 on this site wants an f'd up Lexus out there
Old 02-04-14, 05:50 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gem9209
from my past experiences always use 10w 30 you cant go wrong it says it on the engine oil cap and on the dipstick as well on my 93. stick to the forums you never know who to trust at shops and stores now a days but no1 on this site wants an f'd up Lexus out there
My owner's manual specifies 5W30 as the "preferred" oil between temperature of -20degF to 100degF. 10W30 is only good between 0degF and 100degF.

It is similar for my other Toyota's and Lexus's.
Old 02-04-14, 10:19 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Well you would think there must be a reason that Toyota / Lexus New Zealand have decided to use and recommend there clients use 15w40 oil.....????? I'm not sure why, maybe it's the age of the engines.....

Just about every major oil company that provides an online - find the right oil for your car website also suggest a few different options.... They all seem to recommend 10w40, 15w40 or one I saw even suggested 20w40...

I might ring Lexus & Toyota again today and ask them exactly why they recommend something different to the manufacturers original recommendation....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Oil Flush