ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Has anybody managed to get their 2002 ES tranny fixed / reprogrammed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-03, 12:29 PM
sniper5
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Has anybody managed to get their 2002 ES tranny fixed / reprogrammed?

I'm tired of all this talk about it and dealerships pretending like they have no clue what we're talking about. I posted a complaint on PlanetFeedback.com and actually got Lexus to call me back and explain the issue. Still, their customer service and dealerships dont seem to know that there is a problem.
Old 01-28-03, 01:34 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

and also, whatever happened to the Toyota team here in Cali from japan to "fix" the problem? thought they had a chip or something out in november or so for the camry??
Old 01-28-03, 02:18 PM
sniper5
Rookie

Lexus did say they brought a team in to look at the issue on the ES. After mentioning a fix for the Camry, I was told (by whatever Lex rep called me) that the transmissions are different on the Camry and the ES. Supposedly, that's why no fix for the ES yet. They said they can easily reprogram the tranny but were afraid of messing up something else in the process.
Old 01-28-03, 02:57 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're probably one step ahead of most '02 ES owners...you've gotten Lexus Corp. to call you and admit there's an issue with it.

I've seen some people claim the transmission was fixed in the '03. If it was, I'm surprised they don't already have the code to update the '02.
Old 01-28-03, 06:00 PM
cryhavok
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, there have been many posts about possible upgrades to the tranny, but it's been all talk and no walk so far. There even was a 2k2 ES3 chip that would boost hp by 15 or so "under development" about a year ago, but it never came out.

I have yet to drive a 2k3 ES3, but I definately know that driving my car is a much different experience than driving my sisters, which is a 98. It might also be that we have 2 overdrive gears, so I've heard, that may be making it hard to work with.

I still don't see how hard it could possibly be to fix it...All it is is some code. There weren't any significant changes between our models and the 2k3's...

I've talked to my dealer, they said they don't know anything about it. Even made them drive it, but still said it was "normal operation"

sigh...maybe one day they will fix it...hopefully
Old 01-29-03, 12:00 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted this exact problem to Lexus back in October. Here is the thread. Sorry for the length, I can't post a link because you would need my account and password with lexus.com to access the thread.

===========================================
Discussion Thread

Customer (Stephen Johnson) 10/18/2002 07:38 PM

1. I find that there is a delay in the downshift when heavy or rapid acceleration is needed. Usually this happens from 2nd to 1st OR 3rd to 2nd at less than 40 mph. I have heard of this in other models and Lexus provided an electronic fix. The Forum on ClubLexus.com has talked about it and several members have indicated that Lexus has a fix in the works. Several members have reported this same problem on the 2003 model ES300. I have not seen anything as of yet in the "AllData" reports or "Mitchell's On Demand".
What has Lexus found and if there is a fix in the works, how soon before it will be available? One service center I talked with also heard that an electronic fix in the ECU may be coming.

2. The car seems to joggle a bit at 40 mph when it is in 5th and under no load. It seems like the transmission wants to go to 4th but the computer says stay in 5th until more rpm is acheived. For now, moving the shift lever over to the left solves the problem. I have talke to other owners and the problem is consistent with 2002 ES300s.

Thank you,
Stephen Johnson
Scituate, MA

Response (Jeff Shimizu) 10/21/2002 09:57 AM
Dear Mr. Johnson:

Thank you for contacting the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department regarding the concerns you are experiencing in your 2002 ES 300. I apologize if the driving performance of your vehicle does not meet your expectations.

Under varying driving conditions, certain degrees of responsiveness and shift feel will be characteristics of most vehicles. The 2002 ES 300 will learn the driver's driving style, then adapt how the vehicle operates. If you are not satisfied with the designed operation of the vehicle, we recommend you demonstrate the specific driving characteristic to your Lexus dealer in a test drive, which you may have already done.

If a vehicle is found to be operating as designed, there is no repair or adjustment needed. Lexus constantly reviews our vehicle specifications and we will be happy to document your concern of how the vehicle operates. I apologize that we do not have any information if we are working or releasing a fix for your hesitation concern.

If you have any further questions or concerns, you can also reach the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Pacific Time.

Sincerely,
Jeff Shimizu
Customer Satisfaction Representative

Customer (Stephen Johnson) 10/24/2002 01:37 PM

As of today, word on the street is that a law firm will meet with Toyota's attorneys on Oct. 29. They will propose to Toyota settlement terms which include repairing the transmission problem that I and many others have spoken about (section 1 of the initial question) by installing a new computer chip and extending the duration of the paowertrain warranty on all 2002 ES 300s. (this was copied from a CL thread posted by CL member Dreamer

I realize that you may or may not know of this personally, but maybe someone else in Toyota/Lexus does. I am simply looking for acknowledgement from Toyota/Lexus that there is a known problem and a solution is being investigated.

Please file this letter as a complaint and provide some notification of a file number for documentation.

I really believe that there is a problem and either Toyota/Lexus knows about it and does not want face a recall, or there just aren't enought people who have notified you yet.

Please respond.

Customer (Stephen Johnson) 10/21/2002 01:09 PM
> reply/addendum 10/21/02 4:00pm
This delay in shifting is not the normal hesitation directed governed
by emissions and cold engines--that is usually a hesitation to shift up
(1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd).
>

Response (Jeff Shimizu) 10/29/2002 06:54 AM
Dear Mr. Johnson:

Thank you for your response. I apologize for the delay in responding. I was out of the office for a few days.

We are unaware of the meeting with Toyota's attorneys regarding this matter. I have documented your concerns at Lexus Headquarters for management's visibility. You can reference your complaint to case number 200210210543.

If you have any further concerns, you can also reach the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Pacific Time.

Sincerely,
Jeff Shimizu
Customer Satisfaction Representative

==============================================

I should go test drive the exact same car as mine but in an '03 to see if I can get it to duplicate.

Good Luck!
steviej

Last edited by steviej; 01-29-03 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-29-03, 12:20 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

steviej:

thanks for that; an interesting read. well, its almost february now...still waiting for you 02 guys to be helped out, considering you pioneered into the world of the new model ES and Lexus gotta treat you right.
Old 01-29-03, 11:39 AM
sniper5
Rookie

When I talked to Lexus, they have admitted that there were complaints from drivers about the tranny. They have also admitted that due to the number of complaints they brought a team in from Japan to take a look at it. What they have not admitted is that there is a problem. Lexus' official stance is that the tranny is working the way it was meant to, people are just not happy with the way it performs. So basically, no defects with the tranny, just not what we're used to.
Old 01-29-03, 05:00 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is the impression I get, too.

I am curious if the ECU chip in the 2003, if different, will work in the 2002. And if so, could you push for warranty coverage to have it replaced. If not covered by warranty, then Lexus' persuit of perfect customer satisfaction.

sj
Old 01-29-03, 05:49 PM
sniper5
Rookie

I am curious if the ECU chip in the 2003, if different, will work in the 2002.
Somebody mentioned that 2003s are having the same problem. I don't know how much different the chip is then. Lexus says that the fix they came up with for 2002 Camry can't be applied to the ES because our tranny is completely different. I find that a little hard to believe. I don't see Toyota developing 2 brand new yet completely different 5speed automatics to fit them in 2 sedans that share so much in common.
Old 01-30-03, 03:08 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Originally posted by sniper5
Lexus says that the fix they came up with for 2002 Camry can't be applied to the ES because our tranny is completely different. I find that a little hard to believe. I don't see Toyota developing 2 brand new yet completely different 5speed automatics to fit them in 2 sedans that share so much in common.
I find this hard to believe as well, given how similar these two cars are mechanically.

By the way, one of the car magazines that reviewed the '02 ES (Motortrend I think?) said that the U150E transmission was just the U140E from the previous ES with an extra gear...that other than the extra gear, it's the exact same box.
Old 01-30-03, 03:17 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

does anyone know what the exact root of the problem is (what is causing the slow/lagging shifts)?? is it the ecu, something mechanical...the extra gear, bad design....(????!!!!!!)

ok maybe a silly question, considering if we knew what the problem was, it'd be fixable.
Old 01-30-03, 07:47 AM
jobindj
Driver

werd
Old 01-30-03, 09:11 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Originally posted by jobindj
werd

???????? (!!) :eek: LOL!
Old 05-03-03, 02:09 PM
lextek
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shift logic is root problem. It is not hardware, it is software. New program has been developed, decidedly not satisfactory. Rewrote program, scrapped again. Rewriting again, and accompanied with "hard" parts is currently the word.

It's coming. Just slowly.