ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Just bought a 97 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-03, 12:03 AM
Mr_Mollari
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Just bought a 97 ES300

Just bought a 1997 ES300, 45K mi on it, with a factory 100K mi extended warranty. Looks like it's gonna be a great daily driver, I'll get some pics up on my site later this week after the truck delivers it.

I don't know if I'll mod it too much. I've been searching a few threads about oil -- looks like most people in SoCal are going with either 5W-30 or 10W-30 Mobil1. I figure with only 45K mi, and not too much commuting, I'll just go with the 5W-30. Not to start a whole thing, but any thoughts on Toyota OEM filter v. Mobil1 filter?

I was kind of bummed to find out that ITG doesn't make (or at least designate) a panel filter for this model Lexus. I'm going to send them an email, but if anyone knows of a ITG panel # that would fit a 97 ES300 I would appreciate your help. Don't really want to go the K&N route (too oily / low filtration), and would like to stick with the stock airbox.

TIA
Old 01-27-03, 06:38 PM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the board!

5W30 should be alright given the circumstances you described. I'm not familiar with the Mobil 1 filter, but I can say that the standard Toyota filter is quite good. Can't say about the ITG # either. A few of the people on this board have the K & N, and so far there have been no complaints about the filtration or oiliness. Personally, unless I drove in an exceptionally dusty/dirty enviroment on a daily basis, I'd go ahead and install a K&N.

I see you also have a '93 100S.....they are nice cars. My dad drove a '92 100 for a long time, it was a great car. I have a '96 A6Q myself. Are you a member over at AudiWorld? They have a pretty good discussion board for the '92-'97 100/A6. Also, very very nice VW.
Old 01-27-03, 07:21 PM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

welcome to the board Mr. Mollari!

i don't have a clue about how engine oil numbers work. anyone wanna help me by filling me in on what each number does? the shop i take the ES to has a set engine oil they use on our car in their computer, so i just take in the car, they check the license plate #, and do the whole oil change. but i'm on Royal Purple synthetic oil, so i don't change the engine oil much, but a friend suggested me to change to Redline synthetic because the car has so many miles (100,000).
Old 01-27-03, 11:54 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zeta, check out www.Mobil1.com. It's a pretty cool site.
you will find alot of anwers to your oil questions.

Mr_Mollari.......welcome to a superb website and welcome to the club.

steviej
Old 02-01-03, 09:08 PM
Mr_Mollari
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Nabeel

Can't say about the ITG # either. A few of the people on this board have the K & N, and so far there have been no complaints about the filtration or oiliness. Personally, unless I drove in an exceptionally dusty/dirty enviroment on a daily basis, I'd go ahead and install a K&N.
I've been in contact with ITG. When the ES300 gets here on Tuesday (it was supposed to be here yesterday ) I'm going to take measurements of the stock air filter and email them back with the results. I've seen something about a TRD air filter for the ES300, so maybe it will just come down to $$$ or the flip of a coin...

I see you also have a '93 100S.....they are nice cars. My dad drove a '92 100 for a long time, it was a great car. I have a '96 A6Q myself. Are you a member over at AudiWorld? They have a pretty good discussion board for the '92-'97 100/A6. Also, very very nice VW.
Yeah, that 100S has been a joy to drive on the freeways. I just got a tuneup a few weeks ago, and it's really been fun. I've done a lot to it over the years -- Bilstein Sports, custom exhaust (mix-n-match Milltek/Jetex), larger rotors/calipers.

A cousin of mine needs a car so I decided to pick up the ES300 for my commuting duties and give her the Audi. The GTI is back on the east coast for when I'm there every other week -- I'll probably ship it out here later this year and then just rent a car whenever I'm back east.

After five years of having a car without a warranty, it's a nice feeling to have 2 cars under warranty. Except for that whole prefer-not-to-mod-under-warranty deal. Oh well, only have to worry about that (!) for three years.

My ES300 needs a 45K mi service, anything in particular that I should look out for? Thanks everyone, looking forward to learning my way around this japanese car! (been all Deutsch until now)

edit: damn smilies

Last edited by Mr_Mollari; 02-01-03 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-02-03, 08:00 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

welcome to the club mr mollari. may i ask, where you found your ES?? (private party, dealer, etc)...stay safe veturing into those L.A. roads.
Old 02-04-03, 09:53 PM
Mr_Mollari
Driver School Candidate

Private party, but cross-country. Was looking through auto classifieds when I was back east a month ago, and found a gem. Clean history, all (!) dealer service records -- the previous two owners were either people with a good head on their shoulders, or just incredibly picky. That 100K mi extended Lexus warranty really sold it.

I checked with the shipping co. tonight and they said it *should* be in LA sometime tomorrow. If all goes well (knock on wood) I'll be driving it around those famous LA streets this weekend.
Old 02-05-03, 05:46 PM
bibbens
Driver School Candidate

One thing about the 100K warrantee...if it's the Lexus certified warrantee it's non-transferrable, the only non-tranferrable certified warrantee out there.