ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

93 ES300 replacement steering rack positioning & issues HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 10:47 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 ES300 replacement steering rack positioning & issues HELP

My 1993 ES300 has 140K. When I first got it about 10-20K ago, I noticed "morning sickness" (stiff power steering when cold, but soon disappeared after warm). To combat that, I used Lucas PS treatment and it worked surprisingly well for about 6-9 months (maybe longer???).

So then I had a front end clunk. My good friend/experienced alignment guy said my front struts were done. I found a NEW complete swap out set with coils, struts, bearings so i just did re & re. I figure (hope??) the guys that assemble these quick struts know how to do it since they do 100s per day.

Soon after my steering got really stiff. Like hard to turn when moving slow and at times, feels sticky while driving. Here's my dilemna... is it the old steering rack finally packing it in (re: morning sickness finally wore out)...OR.... the new quick change front struts not turning on bearings?

Well I rolled the dice guessing it's the steering rack. I was able to remove old steering rack..BUT...my friend steered the wheel so I could reach a couple of bolts/nuts for removal. Before final removal, we never centered the wheel. Then we popped out the rack. My concern is making sure clockspring in wheel is centered, along with steering wheel AND the new rack.

I've replaced clockspring so I know that has to be centered with steering wheel facing straight. I M GUESSING that if steering wheel is turned one rotation too far, then I put in rack and steering wheel looks straight (but is out a full turn), i might bust clockspring. Does that make sense? What do I do now?

Thanks!!

Last edited by canucklehe; 11-11-13 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-11-13, 11:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,702 Likes on 2,287 Posts

Should be as simple as turning the rack to full lock, then turning it the opposite way to full lock, then turning it back exactly half. Same with the clockspring, FYI there are instructions on the clockspring itself.

Put another way, I would assemble everything but leave the clockspring out. Get the steering wheel installed so that exactly half the full turns of the rack make the wheel sit proper, then install the clockspring.
Old 11-12-13, 09:13 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

Kind of what I was thinking too, and I think you're correct. I was hoping to hear some simple solution, but because I didn't pay attention to steering wheel, I think I better take it apart and look at clockspring. I have done clockspring 2 or 3 times on this and my other ES300.

I ASSUME steering rack comes centered, but I will call reman outfit today to confirm.

With rack out, I also assume I could spin steering wheel round and round non stop, but once I get past 2 or 3 turns, I'd bust clockspring? I think I was hoping to hear that it won't matter.... but I also think I'm barely smart enough to know better I wasn't smart enough to pay attention and centre this wheel in the first place tho....
Old 11-12-13, 11:39 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

You can potentially destroy the clockspring if you spin it past the designed number of revolutions. But when it gets to the limit of rotation, you'll know it will offer up a lot of resistance.
Old 11-12-13, 11:57 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

i'm probably being lazy... but can I turn steering wheel both ways to find the centre/sweet spot on the clockspring? OR...is that too risky and I should just remove airbag? If I see the clockspring arrows lined up when I remove airbag, does that mean wheel is centred, or do those clockspring arrows line up once every revloution ? (been several months since I played with clockspring).

thanks for your help Lexus2000.
Old 11-12-13, 12:57 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

You must do the following:
  • Center the rack
  • Attach the steering column to the rack
  • Temporarily attach steering wheel and verify it is centered. Mark the wheel/column splines and remove the steering wheel
  • Center clockspring and install, then install the steering wheel.
There are instructions on the clockspring itself. Do NOT start turning the steering wheel lock to lock if you are not sure if the clockspring is properly centered.
Old 11-12-13, 10:23 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

ya know what Lexus2000, I think you are bang on. I am being lazy and hoping for a magical solution to my first mistake of not paying attention to center steering wheel before my friend banged out the rack. better safe than sorry. clockspring isn't too labor intensive, and if I screw it up, I'll be doing it anyways.
Old 11-16-13, 07:34 AM
rickmoore
Driver School Candidate

Bases on everyone's suggestions I am going to replace the fuel injectors. So the next question: new or remanufactured? Significant price difference and this is a 1997 here...don't want to get too **** but I want it to run correctly. Suggestions???
Old 11-16-13, 07:48 AM
HomerJay
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rickmoore
Bases on everyone's suggestions I am going to replace the fuel injectors. So the next question: new or remanufactured? Significant price difference and this is a 1997 here...don't want to get too **** but I want it to run correctly. Suggestions???
What is a non sequitur Alex? Just fooling but you posted in the wrong thread.
Old 11-16-13, 08:31 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

rickmooore, I know you're lost over on this thread... but I'd roll the dice on Reman. car is a 1997. have you tried any snake oils like Lucas injector treatment, or having injectors flushed by machine?

Well my rack is done. good thing I listened (for once) re: clockspring. It was out 1 full turn. and removing airbag and steering wheel to check is pretty simple.

the job was going so well until we tried to get the steering column onto the rack splines. wow, seemed like we removed a lot of stuff to get at the 4 steering column bolts. we also removed the 3 fasteners on the floorboard rubber boot, but I don't think we needed to do that part.