ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Two annoying problems to my ES

Old 10-04-13, 12:18 PM
juvenchan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitmaks
Maybe you can get local Maaco to repaint hood for you.
I did some research online..
most of the reviewers said that they did horrible jobs..

my lexus is close to 17 years old.. and the color is very hard to match (the original paint on my car is pretty good, but i bet its a lot better 17 years ago when it came to this world )
Old 10-04-13, 04:24 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

That hood is shot, has to be replaced.
Old 10-05-13, 02:51 AM
juvenchan
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
That hood is shot, has to be replaced.
what do u mean by shot??
Cant even fix it?

I tried to use fingers to scrub the hood, and did saw some brown thing come off, and i believe it is not that deep yet..
If it has to be replaced, then can I use something to stop growing rust?

Last edited by juvenchan; 10-05-13 at 03:10 AM.
Old 10-05-13, 09:39 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

If you want to fix that, it will have to be taken down to bare metal, then primed and painted. Can be done, but I don't know how far the rust has gone into the metal. By the time you pay for sandpaper, cleaners, primer, base, clear coat etc. you'd probably be better off buying a used hood. I see a nice one on Ebay (beige not sure the colour code) or try car-part.com.

Or you could just clean the surface with acetone and hit it with some generic rust paint, at least it will slow down the rusting process.
Old 10-05-13, 10:51 AM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you were closer I'd paint that hood for you. I just did trunk lid for one of my cousins. Same story, he bought aftermarket trunk lid (in black primer) and haven't painted it at the time. 2+ years later its rusted like yours.
I did sand it all down to bare metal and then primered it with urethane primer and fixed couple small dents, sanded it with 400 and then painted/cleared it for him.
To do a good job you would need to blend into both fenders so the color change wouldn't be noticeable. I use Deltron 2000 paint as it has the best factory color match.
Old 10-05-13, 03:46 PM
juvenchan
Driver

If you want to fix that, it will have to be taken down to bare metal, then primed and painted. Can be done, but I don't know how far the rust has gone into the metal. By the time you pay for sandpaper, cleaners, primer, base, clear coat etc. you'd probably be better off buying a used hood. I see a nice one on Ebay (beige not sure the colour code) or try car-part.com.

Or you could just clean the surface with acetone and hit it with some generic rust paint, at least it will slow down the rusting process.
Thats sad, perhaps i should sell it...
Used hoods r quite expensive
Old 10-05-13, 03:48 PM
juvenchan
Driver

Originally Posted by mitmaks
If you were closer I'd paint that hood for you. I just did trunk lid for one of my cousins. Same story, he bought aftermarket trunk lid (in black primer) and haven't painted it at the time. 2+ years later its rusted like yours.
I did sand it all down to bare metal and then primered it with urethane primer and fixed couple small dents, sanded it with 400 and then painted/cleared it for him.
To do a good job you would need to blend into both fenders so the color change wouldn't be noticeable. I use Deltron 2000 paint as it has the best factory color match.
Thanks for ur offer, but where do you live?
I really hate myself that i cant fix anything or do any handy job
Old 10-05-13, 04:53 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

There is one on Ebay, looks like in your colour they are asking $150. You will get that back and then some if/when you sell, with a hood like that it will drop down the resale by a lot.
Old 10-05-13, 09:35 PM
juvenchan
Driver

There is one on Ebay, looks like in your colour they are asking $150. You will get that back and then some if/when you sell, with a hood like that it will drop down the resale by a lot.
I can't see any hood that looks like my color or a hood that cost $150
How much do you think i can get with the current hood?
133k miles, 2 new tires , alignments done and new break pads

I did think about bringing my car to Maaco and have them paint it.. but since my car is 17 years old, so i am afraid that they won't match the paint .... and waste my money (My hood is in color Beige/Tan)

Should I really keep the car or sell it to get another one? Honestly, my car have been with me for 3 years and I love him so much...

Last edited by juvenchan; 10-05-13 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-07-13, 05:24 PM
juvenchan
Driver

any ideas?
Old 10-07-13, 05:26 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

The hood I saw in Ebay is no longer listed it must have been sold.
Old 10-07-13, 08:01 PM
juvenchan
Driver

thats sad..
Do u know how much does it cost to paint the hood?
i know maaco can do it cheap, but i am afraid that they cant match the color... then i will waste my money
Old 10-08-13, 05:17 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by juvenchan
thats sad..
Do u know how much does it cost to paint the hood?
i know maaco can do it cheap, but i am afraid that they cant match the color... then i will waste my money
Any decent paint shop, matches the paint to the existing color of the car and not strictly by paint code. Specifically they match it to adjoining body panels. That method compensates for existing paint color fading. So the end results should be a perfect match.

The prep work is extremely important.

With the above in mind, shop around. Prices can vary considerably from area to area and from shop to shop.

Figure out your budget, and what you want to do with the car, and take it from there. Unless you do that, you will be wasting time and going around in circles.

Phil
Old 10-08-13, 09:01 AM
juvenchan
Driver

Originally Posted by PFB
Any decent paint shop, matches the paint to the existing color of the car and not strictly by paint code. Specifically they match it to adjoining body panels. That method compensates for existing paint color fading. So the end results should be a perfect match.

The prep work is extremely important.

With the above in mind, shop around. Prices can vary considerably from area to area and from shop to shop.

Figure out your budget, and what you want to do with the car, and take it from there. Unless you do that, you will be wasting time and going around in circles.

Phil
Thanks for you suggestion
still thinking if i should keep it for another year or just up and sell it to the next owner
If there is no paint problem, then i will like to spend another year with him
Old 10-08-13, 04:43 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First option, you can try to find hood that is same color on ebay, local junkyard, maybe post in "wanted" perhaps someone's parting out a car and will have a spare hood.
Second option is to have someone paint it for you, maybe check local craiglist and see if someone paints at home/their own shop and will paint it for you inexpensively compared to body shop.
Third option is you can have maaco paint it for you. If you do decide on this option you should buy paint yourself, I would strongly recommend PPG Deltron 2000 as it will have closest match. They would have to blend paint into both fenders. One pint should be enough. Make sure they prep hood very well, sand it all down to bare metal, epoxy it/urethane primer and then paint/clear coat it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Two annoying problems to my ES