ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1996 ES300 Trac off/ Battery light warning

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-13, 03:10 AM
DaigoRay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 ES300 Trac off/ Battery light warning

Several years ago, my vehicle displayed trac off/battery light warnings. The vehicle began acting as though it was going to stall (but didn't) and also jerking back and forth. Since then, the problem happens every one to two years. What is causing this...ignition coil misfire of either one or two coils. The "fix".....Replace coils. At one point I became so tired of the problem, that I replaced all six coils hoping to stop the recurrence. One year later (and ongoing) it happened again.

Just recently I replaced two coils and finally asked the question, "What is causing the coils to misfire". After ten minutes of a lot of double talk, the service guy finally said "Or it could be a design flaw for that particular year." Incidently, my neighbor has the same exact vehicle, right down to the colors. When he saw my car he came over, very frustrated, to ask me about this trac off/battery light warning and his vehicle jerking and acting like its going to stall. I couldn't believe it.

Anyone else out there having this recurring problem?
Old 09-02-13, 03:30 PM
faithmkss
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is not related to your question, but you replaced 6 coils? I thought this year and model had 3 coils. each operate 2 spark plugs.
Old 09-02-13, 08:28 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by faithmkss
I know this is not related to your question, but you replaced 6 coils? I thought this year and model had 3 coils. each operate 2 spark plugs.
I think they had 6, they switched to 3 coils for 97-98, then went back to 6 in 99. Correct me if I'm wrong.

To answer's OP's question, I wouldn't call it a design flaw, but a common problem. You just haven't found the solution, and I don't think it's related to the coils.
Old 09-02-13, 09:17 PM
DaigoRay
Driver School Candidate

Trust me, there are definitely six coils. It cost me a small forturne. My mechanic (not Lexus) investigated possible reasons the coils keep misfiring and could come up with nothing. He suspects the wiring harness.
Old 09-10-13, 01:44 AM
DaigoRay
Driver School Candidate

My mechanic (not lexus) agrees with you, Mr. Booby, but he could not find the solution during his noninvasive search.

Update: Lexus got back to me stating that there is no problem, it is just normal wear and tear due to the age of the car. it should be expected because the vehicle is old, come in and buy a later model car. LOL. I said, "Oh really...I have friends who own GM vehicles older than my Lexus and have never had to replace a coil." He refused to discuss the problem further. Urged me to come in and purchase a newer model. I am very disappointed in Lexus for their position on this problem. I told him that is why I purchase Lexus and not GM.

In 2011, I purchased a brand new ES350 for my mother.....maybe I should have bought a cadillac.
Old 09-10-13, 02:59 PM
Toofasgtp
Driver

Originally Posted by DaigoRay

In 2011, I purchased a brand new ES350 for my mother.....maybe I should have bought a cadillac.
I would rather trust my car lasting to 1,000,000 miles then to trust GMs electronics till 100k miles