ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2004 RX330 vs 2005 ES330

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-13, 11:57 AM
wagrant28
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 RX330 vs 2005 ES330

Hey guys! I was lexus owner about five years ago and am looking to go back. Don't want to spend a lot of money so I've narrowed it down to a 2004 rx330 or a 2005 es330. I'd be looking in the 100k milage range give or take a few thousand for 8k-9k. I realize that with milage that high, problems are more likely to occur, but I was wondering what you all think the more reliable car would be? I've heard horror stories about the rx330 transmission, but haven't found any data on what parts the rx and es actually share. Maybe the es is open to the exact same problems? What would you guys recommend reliability wise? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-15-13, 01:31 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know a whole lot about the RX, but they are both rock sollid cars. Great engines, well same engines haha and can find both today in prestine condition. Technically you could make and older RX look like a 2009, where as the ES was refreshed in 2007.

For me it would come down to the deal, pricing, color, etc.
Old 08-15-13, 01:33 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

No transmission issues with the RX330 or ES330.

Both RX330 and ES330 have DBW lag, but that's about it. It will not affect reliability or durability.

100k is not high miles, it isn't even broken in at 100k miles.

Keep in mind, that at 90k miles both will need an expensive timing belt service.
Old 08-15-13, 02:20 PM
wagrant28
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice guys! Hypervish definitely wanted to find one past the 90k point to avoid the $1000-$1500 90k service, good point though! That's good to hear about the transmission! Definitely was sweating that one...thanks again keep it coming
Old 08-15-13, 02:41 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Pretty different vehicles to drive so that might be your issue. Both pretty trouble free.
Old 08-15-13, 03:54 PM
Druvius
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brucelee1
Pretty different vehicles to drive so that might be your issue. Both pretty trouble free.
I agree on the differences in drive due to size and weight.

The main things to consider:

RX - Need capacity? Snowy weather? Larger family?
ES - Need fuel efficiency? Urban/parking? Sportier drive?
Old 08-15-13, 05:58 PM
wagrant28
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Druvius
I agree on the differences in drive due to size and weight.

The main things to consider:

RX - Need capacity? Snowy weather? Larger family?
ES - Need fuel efficiency? Urban/parking? Sportier drive?
I think the es fits the bill for me. Not married, travel a lot for work. My concern is the shaky, jerky transmission. How many of you ES owners have this problem? Did the software update correct the issue? Thanks in advance
Old 08-15-13, 06:53 PM
coffee4000
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a new 2004 Lexus ES330 owner myself so I don't know a lot about the transmission issue.
But I did read a little about it on this forum. It is actually know as "shift shock".
I don't think the software fix was successful and I think it was only offered to a small subset of owners . . . the owners who complained.

But from what I understand, there a no problems with the transmission. The transmission is very good. The problem is with the gas peddle communicating with the transmission by way of the computer. The gas peddle must send a signal to the computer which then signals the transmission to shift.. The comunication is a little slow ( i.e. lagging ). So it isn't as responsive as it should be.

I'd also like to know what others think about this issue.

Last edited by coffee4000; 08-15-13 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-15-13, 07:09 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by wagrant28
I think the es fits the bill for me. Not married, travel a lot for work. My concern is the shaky, jerky transmission. How many of you ES owners have this problem
I have a 2005 ES330. The DBW lag and jerky transmission really sucks in stop and go traffic. Typically after coming out of a rolling stop, the tranny seems to be in the wrong gear, revs up to shift, and you get the jerk. Our 06 Sienna with same motor and tranny has the same issue. Test drive a few and you'll see.

If the ES the only car you drive, you'll get used to it and learn how to drive and predict when the transmission will jerk. I've been spoiled by my Solara's instant throttle response, less jerky transmission and stiffer steering, so I have to get used to how the ES330 shifts and handles every time I switch cars.

A few months after I bought my ES330, I realized how inconvenient a sedan format is, especially if you have an active lifestyle. Having seats that don't fold just makes it worse, you can't even stuff a bike in the trunk.

I considered for a very long time trading up to an RX330, and did so much background research on reliability, and read reviews. But when I went to go see an RX in person, I was disappointed. Its one of those vehicles that's big on the outside, small on the inside for no reason. Passenger room is only slightly wider inside than the ES330, and the trunk area is very shallow because of the high lift-over and sloping rear glass.

You have to weigh out the costs, the RX could be $5000 more than an ES, and consumes an extra $300 in gas per year. Insurance *might* be slightly more as luxury SUV's are more of a theft target than a FWD luxury Camry. Some RX's had issues with rear bearings (if I recall), headlight condensation and then there are AWD components.

For the extra cost, do you really get much more practicality in an RX330 over an ES330? Do you value perceived safety and ride height, over fuel economy and maintenance cost?

I myself am still two sided about this. If I were looking for my next vehicle, it would have a hatchback for practicality, and it might be a Lexus for its quietness, luxury, comfort and reliability, but I don't know how practical the RX really is. The Highlander on the other hand, is much more practical but doesn't offer nearly as much refinement or interior quality.

I say test drive both and see which one fits your lifestyle more. What kind of vehicle are you driving now?
Old 08-15-13, 07:49 PM
wagrant28
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Coffee and Speed both responses were detailed and exactly the feedback I was looking for! I drive an 06 325i, before that an is300, love both cars (the Lexus was better IMO) and have considered an is350, but don't want to pay the extra cash. I have studied and contemplated the RX perhaps as diligently as you, and if all things were equal price wise, that's what I'd probably get, but again more cash. If I got into the price range of the rx I feel like I would probably be too close to the is350 to not pull the trigger and then what do you know i"m right back where I didn't want to be: the 15k range. That being said, I really wanted to want the ES, I really wanted to come on here and hear what a wonderful car it is, but who wants to save money if it just means you'll get a ****ty transmission as a reward. And that really would **** me off every time I got in the car LOL.

Last edited by wagrant28; 08-15-13 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-15-13, 08:31 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

That's quite a transition, coming from two very sporty sedans. I'm not sure how you'll feel about driving a soft cruiser such as the ES/RX.
Old 08-15-13, 08:45 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

If I do say so myself, the RX will actually drive "sportier" than the ES. I use the term sporty, very very loosely. lol
Old 08-16-13, 04:47 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
That's quite a transition, coming from two very sporty sedans.
^ +1

How about an 05 GS300?
Old 08-16-13, 05:02 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I have had a 2002, and two 2006's. Once I changed the trans fluid a few times, I have not noticed any issues..

The trans does "learn" how you drive so that takes some time at first.

No issues.
Old 08-16-13, 06:03 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have close to one of each, an '04 Highlander and an '05 ES.

The Highlander has been extremely reliable, 140K on it now, but the one single failure we did have has made me swear off ever buying another one. One of the three u-joints in the driveshaft that goes to the rear wheels failed this Spring. That didn't bother me, u-joints do wear out, and usually are easy to change. Not so on this car! The only way to fix it was to buy an entire new driveshaft, all 3 sections. Toyota wanted around $1800! I was furious. I ended up finding an aftermarket reman'd unit on the internet for $750. It is not as nice as the original one I pulled off, but I had no choice. I tried 2 different driveshaft shops and they both told me the same thing, it's a stupid design, the u-joints are staked in, not servicable. You better believe Toyota Customer Relations heard from me. But the RX has the same design.

When this car finally wears out, it will be replaced with a 4Runner. I really would like a GX, but the dashboard cracking issue is a deal breaker. Shame on Lexus for not stepping up on this obvious defect.

This is my 2nd ES, it's a love/hate relationship. I actually think my '98 was more fun to drive. The transmission in the '05 is awful, plain and simple. The interface on the navigation is terrible by todays standards, i never use it anymore, especially after hooking my phone (Razr Maxx) up via a GROM unit, very pleased. The automatic wipers suck too. Otherwise, it's a fabulous car that I love to drive, much more than the Highlander.

Personally, my recommendation is to hold out for an '07+ model. My mom has one and the transmission is much much better. No timing belt in that car either, I believe.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android

Quick Reply: 2004 RX330 vs 2005 ES330