ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

96 es 300

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-13, 12:56 PM
faithmkss
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy 96 es 300

Recently I replaced, the hydraulic fan, the thermostat, the radiator and after a couple weeks, here is another leak. Its not the pump, its been checked. The leak seems to be coming from a freeze plug in the back, or shall i say side of the engine, possibly. I used blue devil, followed all instructions, and car still leaked water. Looking underneath its in a hard to get to location, still hard to determine if it is for sure a freeze plug. I wanted to ask anyone who might have dealt with something similar if you have any suggestions? There is also a radiator hose on the bottom and that seems secure no leaking water. I am more than likely going to replace this freeze plug or plugs, but want to check with the experts first... Shes at 339k and I know there is more left, but this water issue has consumed me entirely.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-23-13, 01:14 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I've heard of special UV dyes that are used to find oil leaks, maybe they make one for the cooling system as well. That would be something that I would try.

It always fascinates me when we get a new member who just so happens to have a very high mileage ES. Unfortunately, they never seem to respond to any follow up questions. Would you mind telling us more about your experience with the car? How long have you had it for (years/miles) and what have you done to it? Pictures would be even better!
Old 07-23-13, 02:42 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

339K wow congrats! at some point though you have to stop and think is it worth it pouring $$$ into .. on the other hand at this point you got a completely free car. Im assuing your DIY'ing most of the stuff?
Old 07-23-13, 08:54 PM
faithmkss
Rookie

Thank you for your replies. I bought this car Jan 09 at an auction, (was just laid off, new car was reposessed) so I had no clue what I was doing, but getting another car. I didnt check the car out prior to bidding, when I saw the mileage was at 268k I nearly passed out. After picking my face up off the ground, I only had to do minor repairs. I think the biggest thing in the beginning was the control arm, car was pulling bad. Despite my doubt based on the mileage this car has been the toughest yet! At about 300k things started to get a little worse. But still I would say normal expected wear and tear. Replaced both axles. The hydraulic cooling fan system has got to be the dumbest idea yet, no offense to those who like it but the hoses started to leak really really bad. Smoking under the hood. I kept putting in power steering fluid until I got the bright idea to use "Lucas" which so far knock on wood has been wonderful. Keep in mind, I am a single mom and I am struggling so fixing these things for the price they cost is out of my reach. I have always made sure to check all oils and water but someone had to of really taken care of this car. As I said recently, car began to overheat I think it began with the heater core , it was going bad or something I just took it out and bypassed it with hose. Few days later, im stranded on the hottest day overheated. My lovely hydraulic fan is spinning extra slow. Put a new one in. A week goes by, overheated, bad thermostat. Put in a new one. Week later no overheat but water is pouring out. Radiator was bad and I knew it was going bad or would, the date stamp on the last one was 2004 so it looked like these radiators last about every 8 yrs or so. And now we are at the possible freeze plug. But after all that I really cannot complain this car has made it so far and still runs so good and Oh I forgot, the inner transmission seals must be leaking because I have to warm up the car for at least 5 min, otherwise it wont shift into 2nd while Im driving. But again I really cannot say enough about this car. When Im able to, Im getting another Lexus. Obviously I have not been able to do anything cosmetic, it is a champagne color the paint seems to be chipping off the hood. And yes DIYing most everything. I have a mechanic who takes it easy on me. But for the most part anything that seems to go wrong I am looking it up online, looking at experiences of others and ruling out or in, different issues. My mechanic is wonderful but something like this is going to take a little extra looking into. Id be happy to answer any other questions. I will look into the dye, thank you, and I am open to any other suggestions. Keep ya posted.
Old 07-24-13, 04:58 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Put dye in the coolant, clean off the engine then start it up. Once you get some leakage hit it with a black light and see where the leak is at. You might try renting a cooling system pressure tester, pressurize the system and you can check out the source of the leak with the engine off and cold, makes it easier to work on. As for the transmission, that is normal. The transmission holds 1st longer than normal when the engine is cold, this is to force it to warm up quicker.
Old 07-24-13, 08:15 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

oh gosh, what a story. i really hope you can find that leak and solve the problem for good.
Old 07-24-13, 11:40 AM
faithmkss
Rookie

Update....took some things apart the hose under the manifold, I guess would be called the "Central coolant hose", it had a big tear in it. So, Im going to get one, I hear you can only get them through the dealer though. Im gonna search around to see if this is true, because I know the dealer prices are a lot higher. There are a couple other hoses that should be replaced as well due to wear and tear so while we are in there Im going to do that. Please correct me if I am calling this hose by the wrong name. Or any other advice. Im going to take a picture later and post.
Old 07-24-13, 12:24 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

You are correct about the hose. You are the second person I know that has had that issue. I found mine while doing the valve covers and decided to replace it just in case, I'm glad I did. The hose is not expensive, and you can only get it from a dealer, but that's because it has an irregular diameter.
Old 07-24-13, 12:53 PM
faithmkss
Rookie

Thank you for your response. I called Lexus, this lady does not know what a central coolant hose is, keeps referring to the hydraulic hose. So she sent me a diagram. Would you be able to make this out and tell me which part it is? Looks like 16261g is the hose. But i want to be sure. Thank you for your help. Ive attached the images she sent.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
96 lexus.pdf (42.8 KB, 229 views)
Old 07-24-13, 04:35 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by faithmkss
Thank you for your response. I called Lexus, this lady does not know what a central coolant hose is, keeps referring to the hydraulic hose. So she sent me a diagram. Would you be able to make this out and tell me which part it is? Looks like 16261g is the hose. But i want to be sure. Thank you for your help. Ive attached the images she sent.
16261g it is, you got it! You might want to get a new Intake Plenum gasket, mine was splitting apart so I replaced it.
Old 07-25-13, 09:58 AM
faithmkss
Rookie

Default Central coolant hose, or water bypass hose #1

Ok I will look into that gasket. Ty... I am going to post the pic of my hose and just a basic picture of everything surrounding it.
Attached Thumbnails 96 es 300-img_20130724_181100.jpg   96 es 300-img_20130724_181135.jpg