ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

3vz exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-13, 07:03 PM
StuckInVA
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3vz exhaust leak

Nuff said, I've been busy for a while tracking down my exhaust leak that progressively became worse. I finally found this gremlin and I know I'm going to have fun fixing it.

It's coming from underneath my manifold on the rear bank. Which is in my opinion, the worst possible place for it to be. That being said, I'm not sure if it's coming from a worn gasket or if the manifold itself is cracked. I also have no idea how to tell other than taking it off.

So methods on telling if it's gasket or manifold? Best way to remove rear manifold? and general exhaust leak thread.

BTW, I finally found my leak by seafoaming through the intake. Dat smoke was pouring out. (I did have to let the leak get pretty bad though.)
Old 07-10-13, 07:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,697 Likes on 2,283 Posts

You need to get under the car and have a real good look at the Y-pipe, it could be going. Or like you said it could be a gasket. Replacing the Y-pipe is not that difficult once you get past removing the bolts on the catalytic converter side, most likely those will simply have to be cut off and replaced. The studs on the manifolds tend to pull out instead of the nut just coming off, so you may need some replacement studs and nuts.

If it's a manifold issue (doubt it) then it's also doable to replace but a real pain in the neck, that thing is burred back there pretty good.
Old 07-11-13, 09:00 PM
StuckInVA
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it's my Y pipe. I say this because I can only feel the leak when my hand is underneath the curvature of the manifold and it's leaking from above, For sure it's the manifold or the manifold gasket.

As far as removing the manifold with the engine still in the car. I'm sure I'll have to remove my y pipe first and some how unbolt the manifold from the block, but will it have room to come out from underneath? If the studs don't come out of the block, am I going to have enough clearance to slip the manifold over them?

I swear guys, never again will I buy a transversely mounted v6. I'm sticking to i4's and rwd after this one.
Old 07-11-13, 11:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,697 Likes on 2,283 Posts

I have taken off the firewall side manifold on a car at a salvage yard. I remember removing the power steering lines and a bunch of other stuff, but I was able to remove the manifold. I don't remember the exact procedure though it's been awhile.
Old 07-15-13, 01:51 PM
donbryce
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My leak was in the same place, but turned out to be the gasket seal where the Y pipe joins the rear manifold. Basically, some gorilla at Midas used an air wrench and broke the stud, leaving only a few threads to replace the nut. I ground the Y pipe flange down to expose a few more threads and buttoned it up with new gaskets and sealant. You should remove the Y pipe and then get a better look at the manifold and gasket. It's easy to be fooled into pinpointing that source of hot air leakage.
If it is the manifold, a competent shop might be able to mig or braze the leak, if it's reasonably accessible.