ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

97 ES300 wont shift out of 1st after messing with TB

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-13, 07:10 PM
sstamp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 ES300 wont shift out of 1st after messing with TB

Okay I'm new here. Been using this site for a bit and always got a lot of help searching.. Hopefully I'm posting in the correct section!..Unfortunately, I think I created my own problem and one I havent seen any answers. So here it is..

Short version:
The car was working fine other than some stalling so I decided to clean out the IAC valve. Cleaned it up, got it back together and idling right, but now the car will not shift out of 1st gear.

Long version:
Here's a little more detail as I'm pretty confident I screwed something up When I took it apart, I got a little sloppy. Took the bottom plate off the IAC valve and notice there was a spring in it. When I put it back together apparently I put it on reverse cause the car was idling at 3000RPM. Once I figured this out and corrected it was idling pretty close, but I adjusted the Throttle Position Sensor cause like a dummy I had taken this off. I broke the first TPS sensor so I replaced it.. Anyways, thought I got the idle fixed, but then the car would not shift out of 1st. I adjusted the throttle cables and still couldnt get it to shift. So that's where I'm at now. I've looked around a lot to see if I unplugged or messed up anything obvious. So far nothing, so I'm thinking the IAC or TPS .. or something else may affect shifting?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!!
Sam
Old 06-30-13, 07:38 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sstamp
Okay I'm new here. Been using this site for a bit and always got a lot of help searching.. Hopefully I'm posting in the correct section!..Unfortunately, I think I created my own problem and one I havent seen any answers. So here it is..

Short version:
The car was working fine other than some stalling so I decided to clean out the IAC valve. Cleaned it up, got it back together and idling right, but now the car will not shift out of 1st gear.

Long version:
Here's a little more detail as I'm pretty confident I screwed something up When I took it apart, I got a little sloppy. Took the bottom plate off the IAC valve and notice there was a spring in it. When I put it back together apparently I put it on reverse cause the car was idling at 3000RPM. Once I figured this out and corrected it was idling pretty close, but I adjusted the Throttle Position Sensor cause like a dummy I had taken this off. I broke the first TPS sensor so I replaced it.. Anyways, thought I got the idle fixed, but then the car would not shift out of 1st. I adjusted the throttle cables and still couldnt get it to shift. So that's where I'm at now. I've looked around a lot to see if I unplugged or messed up anything obvious. So far nothing, so I'm thinking the IAC or TPS .. or something else may affect shifting?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!!
Sam
Did you adjust the Kickdown cable? you know the one that controls the Line pressure in the transmission and now it has too much slack in it?
Old 07-01-13, 06:51 AM
sstamp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bdub215
Did you adjust the Kickdown cable? you know the one that controls the Line pressure in the transmission and now it has too much slack in it?
Very good point as I was pretty confident that is where I screwed up.. There are two cables and the one that has a red stripe I assumed was to the transmission. Since I noticed I tensioned these back exactly where they were I tried to get it back.. then went tighter..looser..back to tight. Did this probably 10 times, test drove after each and nothing. How sensitive are those cables? I'm wondering if there is something else I could have done other than the tension..
Old 07-04-13, 06:40 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sstamp
Very good point as I was pretty confident that is where I screwed up.. There are two cables and the one that has a red stripe I assumed was to the transmission. Since I noticed I tensioned these back exactly where they were I tried to get it back.. then went tighter..looser..back to tight. Did this probably 10 times, test drove after each and nothing. How sensitive are those cables? I'm wondering if there is something else I could have done other than the tension..
very sensitive. Since they control line pressure and the shift strategy of the transmission, Tighter the cable, Harder shifts and faster shifts. looser cable means slower and more damaging shifts and possibly not engaging gears and alot more heat generated in the process. granted the cable once its tight still has plenty of play in it for when you crack open the throttle so be mindful of that.