ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Switchblade replacement key

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-13, 08:00 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Switchblade replacement key

First off, I would like to say that I absolutely hate the OEM Lexus Key. The plastic shell housing and the screw that holds it in place is just a horrible design. I've had 2 keys destroyed in the past 6 months by a valet and a designated driver. I don't understand why you would have to turn the key so hard that it would break so I decided to get the switchblade key from ebay.

This thing is sturdy - it is stupid proof. I bought it from the user 1010keys on ebay. you can provide either your key code or a picture of your key and they can cut it to exact specs. Best of all, I got 2 keys for 46 dollars - less than half of what I have been paying for OEM replacements (98 a piece).

There is, however, one tidbit. When you swap out the internals (the 3 button remote), it is situated too far back from the ignition - thus when you try to start the car, it does not turn over because the immobilizer is still on. Before you place the 3 button remote in the new switchblade shell, take it apart like you would to replace the battery. On the side of the remote, there is a rectangular shaped chip. This is the transponder. Take it out of the remote.

Inside the new switchblade casing, I attached the transponder as close to the edge as I could. I used a good amount of electrical tape and cotton to make sure it would not move anywhere. Voila, the car starts up fine and this switchblade key is much more sturdy than the OEM key. The key, as you can see in the picture, will stick out from the ignition much more than the OEM key. I did not have any problems with it interfering with the windshield wipers.

*note* you might not have to relocate the transponder depending on your car. I'm not exactly sure which models, but some have said they did not have to relocate it. I have an 04 ES330 and had to relocate it. I have provided pictures with the OEM key as well for reference purposes.

Old 06-29-13, 07:59 PM
DplanDman8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey man I know you just said that its much more sturdy but I literally use to have the same switch blade key set up off of ebay and sent them a picture of my key and they sent me two switch blade key fobs and they worked great for about 4-5 months and the key blade part would start to wiggle and the spring that made the key flip out started to get worn out and stopped flipping the blade out as fast and sometimes wouldnt even flip it out and the silver rings around the whole for your key chain would come off. So sense I had received two of them I figured I would try the other one and it did the same thing! So I went back to the oem one and its better! Plus the big switch blade sticks out and is large and awkward. But you dont have to take my word for it. Im sure youll find out later
Old 06-30-13, 06:41 AM
gx470wanna
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same shell, purchased from the same ebay seller, and also had to scotch tape the transponder chip to the front of the housing...

On both of mine, the button is super sensitive.. Just touching it a little will open the blade. It is a pain when the key is in my pants pocket but am dealing with it... Perhaps I'll open it up again and try to adjust the spring...
Old 06-30-13, 08:35 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the review. I plan on buying one of these eventaully. My original key is on its last leg.