ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Starter not turning off when turning car off... HELP! >:O

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-13, 06:58 PM
Whitenova
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Starter not turning off when turning car off... HELP! >:O

Problem solved thx all

Last edited by Whitenova; 06-22-13 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-02-13, 07:18 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

The compressor should have nothing to do with the starter, it's only an accessory to the engine.

My starter knowledge comes from working on a lawn mower, so it might be a little bit off.

The starter only gets power from the battery when the starter solenoid is energized by the ignition switch. The condition you're having is where the ignition switch is always sending power to the starter solenoid, which it shouldn't be doing. You already replaced the starter which comes with the starter solenoid attached, so you can rule out a solenoid failure. You need to look at your ignition switch and do some electrical testing. For whatever reason, the "Cranking" pins are always active, no matter what position your key is in.
Old 06-02-13, 07:19 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

First off welcome to the club

The first thing that I would suspect in terms of your starter problem is your ignition switch. A defective relay is also a possibility.

In terms of your A/C compressor not coming on, there could be several reasons for that, the most common one is that you are low on refrigerant.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Phil
Old 06-02-13, 07:25 PM
Whitenova
Driver School Candidate

Problem solved thx all

Last edited by Whitenova; 06-22-13 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-02-13, 07:41 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The problems you are having are too complicated to Q&A through a message board. If you are not aware how to do some basic electrical testing to see if the solenoid is still energized after you start the motor, it is probably cheaper and easier to just take the car to a good mechanic to diagnose the problem.
Old 06-02-13, 07:41 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Whitenova
There is also a clanking noise near the alternator and compressor. Not sure if this helps rule out a problem but forgot to mention that. How would I go about checking for a defective relay and checking the refrigerant as well as Ignition problem. Seriously worried about starting the car up since I don't want to pay $130 for another starter. Has a Limited lifetime warranty but not sure if it'll be covered by that. :X
What's your mechanical and automotive electrical expertise?

Do you have tools? Volt/Ohm Meter? Any A/C Gauges?

Phil
Old 06-02-13, 08:16 PM
Whitenova
Driver School Candidate

Problem solved thx all

Old 06-02-13, 09:20 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

I'll probably just resell or take it to a mechanic. No idea how to fix the problems. Have many tools but no Volt/Ohm meter or A/C gauges.
I don't think that either of those two problems, are major. A good mechanic should be able to diagnose and repair both problems at reasonable cost.

Dont give up on this car.

Phil
Old 06-02-13, 09:46 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PFB
I don't think that either of those two problems, are major. A good mechanic should be able to diagnose and repair both problems at reasonable cost.

Dont give up on this car.

Phil
+1 Get it towed to a trust worthy shop and have them test your ignition system.
Old 06-03-13, 05:09 AM
Whitenova
Driver School Candidate

Problem solved thx all

Last edited by Whitenova; 06-22-13 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Information.
Old 06-03-13, 06:53 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Thank you guys for replying. Gonna give it a shot to call some local shops.

ALSO... should the starter disengage after starting the engine or does that continue running after the car is started? I found a local shop that is recommended by a various people around the area.

I also found out the A/C light just blinks when trying to turn the A/C on. I read another thread where they popped a relay part in and it started blowing cold A/C and quit blinking.
1) Yes, it could be an A/C relay issue, however the relay issue was much more prevevelant on later model cars, not yours. Chances are that you are low on refrigerant, so it needs to be checked out.

2) If you have a proper size wrench, and can practice disconnecting the Battery cable iwithin a few seconds, than you can try and drive the car down to your local Mechanic. If subsequently the starter gets stuck, than disconnect the battery immediately.

If you feel comfortable doing the above, than you can save yourself a tow charge, as well as being able to drive to several garages, to get competitive quotes.

If you are not comfortable doing that, than get it towed.

Good luck

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 06-03-13 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-03-13, 07:32 AM
Whitenova
Driver School Candidate

Problem solved thx all

Old 06-03-13, 11:32 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

To answer your question about the starter, it should disengage once the engine is running. The starter has a little spring loaded gear that makes contact with the flywheel/flex plate, when you crank the engine. It retracts back into the starter housing, once the engine is operational. This is all controlled by the starter solenoid and your ignition switch.
Old 06-04-13, 02:00 PM
Whitenova
Driver School Candidate

Problem solved thx all

Last edited by Whitenova; 06-22-13 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Information
Old 06-04-13, 02:16 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Here were the following problems with the vehicle.

Starter problem. Someone had placed an extra wire running from the ignition to the starter which was causing it to stay engaged. The mechanic said he removed the wire and it's working normal as it should be as it was assembled.

The compressor is badly shot... which was making a terrible noise near the alternator/compressor area. Since I'll be able to do the labor once I find a compressor myself [with a certified freon person... thank god the girlfriends dad owns some apartments. =)], a new belt was needed since the other one was torn up from one of the wheels it was on wasn't spinning near the compressor area. The starter is normal now and the noise is not there anymore.

End result.. just no A/C at the moment. =)

Where would be a good place to find a compressor/clutch? Junkyard...? New one from autozone is $320 with clutch.
Any idea why the extra wire to the starter was there. Weird.

In terms of the shot AC compressor, and where to get one, I'm sure that others will chime in, as I'm in Canada, but just be aware that once an AC compressor is shot, that you'll need to thoroughly flush your AC system before installing a new compressor. Pieces of metal from the seized compressor would have entered the system and will need to be removed. Otherwise you may end up ruining your replacement compressor in no time.

Phil

Quick Reply: Starter not turning off when turning car off... HELP! >:O