ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Camry KYB Strut plus on an ES300?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-13, 05:46 AM
dwagner825
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camry KYB Strut plus on an ES300?

My son just bought a 98 es300. It needs new rear struts. I was planning on buying individual KYB parts. I then saw that they make a complete assmbly for the 98 Camry. All the part numbers match up. I cant find a KYB spring but a search on Auto zone shows the Camry and ES300 use the same spring. KYB doesn't have it listed on their ES300 catalog. Has anyone used them? I can find them online for around 190 each side. Thoughts? Here's a link to them on Autozone. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par..._453410_18474_

Read more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...#ixzz2UgY12bYk
Old 05-29-13, 08:54 AM
dwagner825
Driver School Candidate

KYB tech support finally got back with me. Here is their response.

Dan,

The springs are different. You would find the ride to be much firmer using the Toyota Camry units.

Tech support

Not a bad thing in my opinion unless I would feel every bump.
Old 05-29-13, 11:14 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

You could try swapping the springs with your stock ones. In my experience, nothing will feel as good as OE, so the ride might still be harsher than stock.
Old 01-18-14, 07:42 AM
80es300
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Did the camry's strut plus work for your es300

Hi,

So did you finally try the KYB strut plus on your es300? Good, bad, okay? I also have a 98 es300 with 125K miles and struts weak, squeaking and bottoming out. I am thinking the coils should also be changed. So wondering if the Camry's KYB strut plus would be an economical & quality option.

Others, can you please share your experiences.

Thanks
Old 02-08-14, 07:03 PM
Jaden1
Rookie

I'm interested also. I have a 99 ES300 that could use some new struts all away around. Thinking of trying the cheap complete strut assemblies from FCS for the Camry.
Old 02-08-14, 08:37 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jaden1
I'm interested also. I have a 99 ES300 that could use some new struts all away around. Thinking of trying the cheap complete strut assemblies from FCS for the Camry.
I'd be interested to hear your feedback if you do try the FCS quick struts.... I think the have rear struts for the ES300, but you probably have to go with Camry for fronts...

I'd been considering FCS as an option for my car...
Old 02-09-14, 05:28 AM
Jaden1
Rookie

Originally Posted by gtstcactus
I'd be interested to hear your feedback if you do try the FCS quick struts.... I think the have rear struts for the ES300, but you probably have to go with Camry for fronts...

I'd been considering FCS as an option for my car...
The 3ES front struts and springs are exactly the same as the V6 Camry, so no problem there. FCS, and all other manufacturers, list the same part number for the front complete assemblies for the 3ES and the V6 Camry. The issue is the rear assemblies. I don't know of a manufacturer that sells a complete assembly for the 3ES. The 3ES has a different coil spring in the rear than the Camry. I'd keep my original coil springs, but they are sagging bad.

Does anyone know how bad the ride height is with the rear Camry springs? Is it like 2 inches higher?
Old 02-09-14, 05:56 AM
310V6
Driver School Candidate

I put Moog rear coils on a 01, to fix a factory spring sagging problem. The coils where made for the two models es300 or camry, worked out pretty good. Not stiff, very similar to OEM. BTW,,, these moog coils where made in the USA.
Old 02-09-14, 07:20 AM
Jaden1
Rookie

Originally Posted by 310V6
I put Moog rear coils on a 01, to fix a factory spring sagging problem. The coils where made for the two models es300 or camry, worked out pretty good. Not stiff, very similar to OEM. BTW,,, these moog coils where made in the USA.
Do you remember the part #?
Old 02-17-14, 07:15 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaden1
The 3ES front struts and springs are exactly the same as the V6 Camry, so no problem there. FCS, and all other manufacturers, list the same part number for the front complete assemblies for the 3ES and the V6 Camry.
Correction here...Toyota has different spring and shock part numbers for an ES vs a Camry (or an Avalon or a Solara etc.), they use different rates and different tuning. There are even 2 different spring parts just for an ES (purple or green stripe).

The aftermarket, which has a completely different business model, will spec the same spring and/or shock for all those models, 1 part for Camry/Avalon/ES300/Solara. They pick something that is "good enough" for all of those and make one part.

It is actually surprising you found a mfr that would not spec a Camry rear strut for the ES! We know it would bolt in. And we also know that no one makes an ES300 specific spring or shock aftermarket, they are all the same as a Camry part. We also know nothing rides like the stock stuff, for whatever that is worth since the ES300 specific OEM parts aren't cheap.
Old 02-19-14, 04:01 PM
Jaden1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Power6
Correction here...Toyota has different spring and shock part numbers for an ES vs a Camry (or an Avalon or a Solara etc.), they use different rates and different tuning. There are even 2 different spring parts just for an ES (purple or green stripe).

The aftermarket, which has a completely different business model, will spec the same spring and/or shock for all those models, 1 part for Camry/Avalon/ES300/Solara. They pick something that is "good enough" for all of those and make one part.

It is actually surprising you found a mfr that would not spec a Camry rear strut for the ES! We know it would bolt in. And we also know that no one makes an ES300 specific spring or shock aftermarket, they are all the same as a Camry part. We also know nothing rides like the stock stuff, for whatever that is worth since the ES300 specific OEM parts aren't cheap.
Thanks Power6. I did not know this.
Old 02-19-14, 05:30 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Power6

This is why I regret going aftermarket with my suspension. The same idea goes for a lot of other parts on the ES, which most people are not aware of. For example, the OE exhaust system is stainless steal vs the cheap junk that is sold through 3rd parties.

I wonder if aftermarket suspension kits are a lot better on cars that are far more popular with enthusiasts. Or if it's all poorly engineered stuff that is purely made for looks.
Old 02-22-14, 07:35 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I wonder if aftermarket suspension kits are a lot better on cars that are far more popular with enthusiasts. Or if it's all poorly engineered stuff that is purely made for looks.
Yeah that is the big secret, lots of crap aftermarket stuff. Now the mainstream KYBs and Tokicos are fine, watch out for the coilovers though most of them are a jumble of parts assembled to fit a car, not actually engineered to work well.

Other enthusiasts scoffed at the fact one would pay $1400 for a spring and strut set for a WRX (RCE Bilsteins, custom run for a Subaru race shop.) but it rode and handled better than the cheap coilovers. You get what you pay for. Everybody wants cheap and/or low.

I'm still loving the AVS struts on this car they rock.