ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

97 Es300 Stereo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-13, 12:07 AM
Aaron81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Es300 Stereo upgrade

Hi all, new to the forum and new to the Lexus owners aswell, finally moving up in the world
I have a question that you guys may be able to help me with, I have bought a nice lexus but the stereo is abit out dated and was wanting to upgrade to something that at least has a usb plug in order to be able to well listen to music.

Firstly how difficult is it to upgrade and would I be better off going to a later model Lexus headunit or could I replace with say the JVC Head unit I am currently using and if I were to upgrade would I have any difficulties removing the cd stacker or would it be best to leave it in place?

I am not new to working on cars and bikes and the likes but before I open up the dash I would like to know what I am dealing with before I get in too far.

So any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance anf i look forward to hearing from some of you on this matter.
Old 05-21-13, 04:56 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I replaced the head unit in mine with a Kenwood 7" Nav unit. I have not had the chance yet to install new amps so I'm using the factory amps with it. Quick and easy. I bought a harness and install kit off ebay, about $25 for both. One of the easiest installs I've done.
Old 05-21-13, 05:09 PM
Aaron81
Driver School Candidate

Sweet thats what I wanted to hear Cheers for the info man
Old 05-21-13, 07:29 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

If it takes you more than an hour you are taking your time. Enjoy. Now that the weather has broken I need to pull the seats, carpet and door panels and install my amps. That will take a little longer...
Old 05-22-13, 07:42 AM
Ebp609si
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mdbrown
I replaced the head unit in mine with a Kenwood 7" Nav unit. I have not had the chance yet to install new amps so I'm using the factory amps with it. Quick and easy. I bought a harness and install kit off ebay, about $25 for both. One of the easiest installs I've done.
I've been thinking about a nice nav unit. Any pics of the finished install?
Old 05-22-13, 08:29 AM
mortey
Driver School Candidate

I second this! Would love to see some pictures.
Old 05-22-13, 05:34 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Will post a few pics of my install in the next day or two as time permits.
Old 05-22-13, 06:15 PM
Aaron81
Driver School Candidate

Sorry cant let it go I have to third the idea as I am interested in how it will look once the front panel has been removed/modified so pics would be sweet
Old 05-24-13, 06:49 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Here ya go, this is my install. Only two downsides, no woodtrim around the radio and the scosche kit that I used bows in just a bit at the top.
Attached Thumbnails 97 Es300 Stereo upgrade-kenwood.jpg  
Old 05-24-13, 06:34 PM
Aaron81
Driver School Candidate

Thats sweet man looking into a very similar unit instead of using my jvc and now seeing it done with the kenwood it looks a treat. So I think thats the kind of style I will be using, cheers for the pics mate
Old 06-21-13, 05:01 PM
jakebot88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anybody have any tips for the stereo install and for running wires for my sub amp?
Old 06-23-13, 01:43 PM
titoz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mdbrown
Here ya go, this is my install. Only two downsides, no woodtrim around the radio and the scosche kit that I used bows in just a bit at the top.
Sweet pics bro. Its small upgrades like this that make the car look good.
Old 06-23-13, 03:41 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by titoz
Sweet pics bro. Its small upgrades like this that make the car look good.
Thanks. What you can't see are the Boston Acoustics component speakers in front and coaxes in the rear. That was a major sound quality upgrade by itself. The factory speakers are not very good - full range drivers in the rear doors and the fronts are two way but with only a cap crossover so full range to the main driver.
Old 06-24-13, 06:08 AM
titoz
Driver School Candidate

Damn bro it crazy to know how much you can upgrade things to liven the car up more than what it already is.
Old 10-07-15, 07:36 AM
vbhalla24
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 97 Lexus ES300, aftermarket head unit install

I captured the video of how I replaced the ES300 stock radio with after-market double din head unit. Happy with results so far. BASS is low, I was able to adjust it a bit in Equalizer option. Sound is more toned, crisp and high on treble side but not bad at all. Very nice and acceptable, cannot compare it to original Pioneer's sound. I do hear some engine whine noise which is very low and hides when i increase the music volume, i read on forums that attaching black (ground) wire to body of the unit too will solve this problem (it does not bother me right now). Engine whine noise is not at all the stereo issue since i did a same install on 98 Honda Accord that has no external amplifier therefore i connected to amplified speakers output and the sound is superb clear and fantastic without absolute no engine whine. This issue is due to the external amp integration and grounding mismatch on speakers. I am sure by doing additional ground connections (that is connecting black wire of car to the body of head unit), even this small issue will go away.