ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2nd Gen ES Complaints NHTSA

Old 05-19-13, 03:25 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 2nd Gen ES Complaints NHTSA

Hi,

I am new to the forums and currently have a 2nd gen 93 es300. As many of you are aware that the instrument cluster is eventually going to fail and you will be left with non-illuminated needles. I was wondering if we all call and file complaints about this issue as safety hazard to the NHTSA. Lexus should have recalled these vehicles as they knew this was a problem. The third gen models fixed the issue. They wouldn't just randomly upgrade the instrument cluster unless their was problem. I saw Lexucan's DIY fix but don't want to risk it. I encourage you to file complaints to get Lexus's attention. Its ridiculous that a car built to last, and then the cluster fails within years and then have to pay 1k to get it fixed. I wouldn't mind paying $100 to replace the set but 1k its too much. It may be too late but its worth a try, ill be writing to Lexus tomorrow to let them know my concerns.
Old 05-19-13, 05:19 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

LOL! Hahahaha I needed a good laugh. Thanks for that.
Old 05-19-13, 06:02 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by L3XUSFAN
Hi,

I am new to the forums and currently have a 2nd gen 93 es300. As many of you are aware that the instrument cluster is eventually going to fail and you will be left with non-illuminated needles. I was wondering if we all call and file complaints about this issue as safety hazard to the NHTSA. Lexus should have recalled these vehicles as they knew this was a problem. The third gen models fixed the issue. They wouldn't just randomly upgrade the instrument cluster unless their was problem. I saw Lexucan's DIY fix but don't want to risk it. I encourage you to file complaints to get Lexus's attention. Its ridiculous that a car built to last, and then the cluster fails within years and then have to pay 1k to get it fixed. I wouldn't mind paying $100 to replace the set but 1k its too much. It may be too late but its worth a try, ill be writing to Lexus tomorrow to let them know my concerns.
Good luck. If it happens years after the warranty is up, there is nothing Lexus is responsible for.
Old 05-19-13, 06:11 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree that dying needles is a problem with these cars. However, as mentioned above, they are all so far out of warranty that any fix from Lexus is highly unlikely.

One suggestion I would make is to turn the intensity of the dash lights down to the minimum level that will still allow you to read the instruments. The gas gauge needle on my 94 ES is dark for about half its length if the illumination intensity is high. However, the entire needle is illuminated if I turn down the level. This situation has existed for at least ten years. It appears that the dark part of the needle is not going to expand any.

I suspect that keeping the dash illumination level high at all times lessens the lives of the needles.
Old 05-19-13, 06:23 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

not a safety concern.
Old 05-20-13, 07:18 AM
msekanha
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2es? You're a little late, buddy.
Old 05-20-13, 07:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I guess it can't hurt to write a letter. But with a 20 year old car I wouldn't expect any action at all.
Old 05-20-13, 09:54 AM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I guess it can't hurt to write a letter. But with a 20 year old car I wouldn't expect any action at all.
Ditto. I'm amazed it's running at all. I come from an era that if you got 100K miles you were one of the lucky ones. BTW, eventually all things wear out no matter how well made.
Old 05-20-13, 10:14 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

all my needles light up, what u talking about?!?!? XD

lol jks, i had to merge two imperfect clusters to make one good one haha
Old 05-20-13, 02:57 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

All they offered was a discount. I'm surprised that they did, although they should have recalled these vehicles JMO. Also cars running strong at 98k.
Old 05-20-13, 07:55 PM
Ebp609si
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least you tried
Old 05-24-13, 11:02 AM
5ltrbeater
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by L3XUSFAN
Hi,

there is a reason why cars have a 60,000 mile OR a 5 year warranty (whichever comes first )

was watching Barrett Jackson auction awhile back and they were selling a 69' camaro ss with 32k ORIGINAL miles.
if manufacturers didn't put a time limit on their warranties, that 50+ year old car would still be under warranty.
Old 05-24-13, 02:15 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

20 year old car?

thats well past what they were build to last. no way anyone is going to get anything from lexus at this point in car's life.

be glad the car is running without major problems. needles are just for prettiness.

Get a flashlight if you want to know how fast you are going! lol

...or one of these hehe:

Old 05-24-13, 07:58 PM
MrShim78
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

find a cluster in the junkyard and replace it?
Old 05-25-13, 09:01 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Originally Posted by 5ltrbeater
there is a reason why cars have a 60,000 mile OR a 5 year warranty (whichever comes first )

was watching Barrett Jackson auction awhile back and they were selling a 69' camaro ss with 32k ORIGINAL miles.
if manufacturers didn't put a time limit on their warranties, that 50+ year old car would still be under warranty.
Not the point, The needles are an overpriced replacement option that should have been recalled. Just thought I should have voiced my concerns to lexus for their mistake. They gave me a discount and i was happy. Im not complaining anymore. And also 60k or 5 year does not exist for the car so not sure where you got that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2nd Gen ES Complaints NHTSA