ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Es300 1995 overheating and Transmission issues🙄 HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-18, 01:21 AM
Cynthia161
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Es300 1995 overheating and Transmission issues🙄 HELP!

The car has 127k miles and I bought it with 93k.I want to say a year after getting it I noticed that the car was not shifting into 4th gear. I’ll drive at about 60-65 mph and I’m at 3000 rpm, obviously I’m not in 4th gear so I get scared to drive it any faster. I didn’t buy the car like this. But I will randomly shift when it wants to and sometimes it will even shift back in thesame drive or right after it shift so it kind of just bounces back and forth. What could be causing the car not to shift?

OVERHEATING
Now here is where my headaches start. We have literally tried almost EVERYTHING here. THE CAR WILL ONLY OVERHEAT WHEN THE AC IS ON. Here are the list of things we have changed to try to remedy the issue.
1. Changed the thermostat. MULTIPLE TIMES. Not joking.
2. Changed coolant sensor
3. Water pump and timing belt
4. Added 2 other fans to the car on the outer part of the Radiator, one of them runs all the time along with the original fan and the 3rd fan activates once the AC is turned on.
5. Changed Radiator
All parts are OEM. We like to put original as much as possible.
The car doesn’t really overheat when it’s not too hot outside,with the AC on it won’t overheat. I live in LA so you kind of always feel the seasons change. But since we are moving more into spring and summer it’s just been heating up everytime. It will usually take a while for it to heat up so I want to say about 20-30minutes after driving the car for a while with the Ac it will start over heating and pretty quickly sometimes. He have checKed to see if there are any signs of a head gasket issue but the oil cap is clean we tried the little test to see if it was the head gasket but nothing. I would even prefer it to be that cause it will give me an answer to what is the problem. Anything helps. What can be causing this issue?
Old 04-16-18, 11:35 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

You guys need to look at the heater valve and the heater core. Those are the only things on the system not addressed.

What color is the coolant? Should be old-school green and if it has ever been mixed with newer coolant, this can over time really mess up coolant system components like the radiator, heater valve, and core.

If they are intact and not crumbling (the heater valve will with coolant mixing), you could try a citric acid flush (several) to clean them up before just replacing them.
Old 04-17-18, 12:15 AM
Cynthia161
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oro
You guys need to look at the heater valve and the heater core. Those are the only things on the system not addressed.

What color is the coolant? Should be old-school green and if it has ever been mixed with newer coolant, this can over time really mess up coolant system components like the radiator, heater valve, and core.

If they are intact and not crumbling (the heater valve will with coolant mixing), you could try a citric acid flush (several) to clean them up before just replacing them.
okayy thank you! I will be checking that soon and I’ll keep you posted. The only thing that makes me not so certain is that my heater does work perfectly fine and I even use the heater to bring down my temperature. But we will definitely be looking into it.
Old 04-17-18, 02:26 PM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

You have added 2 additional electric fans to your vehicle while keeping the existing OEM one(s)? How many fans came original on your car?

Are the 2 added electric fans added to the front side of the radiator? And have you confirmed they are spinning in the proper direction?

Are you using the temp gauge/light and/or radiator fluid steaming out of radiator cap to confirm it is overheating?
Old 04-18-18, 02:43 AM
Cynthia161
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fortitude
You have added 2 additional electric fans to your vehicle while keeping the existing OEM one(s)? How many fans came original on your car?

Are the 2 added electric fans added to the front side of the radiator? And have you confirmed they are spinning in the proper direction?

Are you using the temp gauge/light and/or radiator fluid steaming out of radiator cap to confirm it is overheating?
Yes, we added 2 more fans all while keeping the OEM. The car only has one hydraulic fan originally. Yes I believe they are spinning in the correct direction. They blow a lot of air towards the engine.
While I’m driving I see that the gauge starts to rise and when I stop I do hear the water start bubbling. There have been some occasions where we slowly open the radiator cap and it’s just still steaming and the reservoir sometimes pops open from it being so hot and starts spewing water/coolant.
Old 04-18-18, 09:12 AM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ease-help.html

Good read on original fan operation (utilizing PS). The car was designed to function in various temperature conditions. I would diagnose why the original equipment on the car is not functioning as it should.

Who does the repair on the vehicle, you or bring it to a mechanic?

I highly recommend sourcing the Toyota/Lexus Repair Manual for your specific vehicle. The days of "change the plugs, cap, rotor, wires" do not apply to these cars.
https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...at_is_tis_page
https://techinfo.snapon.com/TIS/Register.aspx

2 day access is $15. Several years back, the site would load the manual pages to your browser in PDF format. That allowed the pdf to be save to a computer. I cannot speak to the current format on the site.

Temperature gauge - how many times has your temperature gauge pegged out at full hot while driving it? And how long have you driven the car with it pegged full hot?
Old 04-18-18, 06:40 PM
Cynthia161
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fortitude
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ease-help.html

Good read on original fan operation (utilizing PS). The car was designed to function in various temperature conditions. I would diagnose why the original equipment on the car is not functioning as it should.

Who does the repair on the vehicle, you or bring it to a mechanic?

I highly recommend sourcing the Toyota/Lexus Repair Manual for your specific vehicle. The days of "change the plugs, cap, rotor, wires" do not apply to these cars.
https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...at_is_tis_page
https://techinfo.snapon.com/TIS/Register.aspx

2 day access is $15. Several years back, the site would load the manual pages to your browser in PDF format. That allowed the pdf to be save to a computer. I cannot speak to the current format on the site.

Temperature gauge - how many times has your temperature gauge pegged out at full hot while driving it? And how long have you driven the car with it pegged full hot?
The work we usually do on it is either we send it to a mechanic or my dads friend works on it out of shop but works as a mechanic at a shop.

Most of the time I stop and turn off the car once it is either at the line above the normal temp or occasionally a little higher. But there have been some instances where it’s really close to the boiling point because I’m not able to stop and that particular moment. The school I go to is at the top of a hill so it’s a narrow passage and I have to wait sometimes until I’m able to get the parking lot that’s when it usually is close to the boiling point. But I don’t dive it for too long when I’m near the boiling point.