ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

rear engine mount help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-13, 11:29 PM
Scuba420
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear engine mount help

Hi all can any one tell me what needs to be done to change rear engine mount trying to do this weekend any help greatly appreciated
Old 04-17-13, 04:19 AM
StuckInVA
Driver

If the 1mz and 3vz rear mounts are similar at all, be prepared for a terrible time. On my 3vz the passenger side axle runs through the engine mount. I had a pretty hard time dealing with it while taking out the engine.
I'm going to assume you don't want to take the whole motor out. I would think you would need to start the process by taking out the passenger side axle (drain pan prepared) and then lifting weight off of the back of the engine. Once you had that done I suppose you could find a way to unbolt it and wiggle it out of there. One thing I remember about mine was that it didn't want to unbolt from the engine block (The reason i didn't just leave it in the car.) clearance was minimal and I couldn't get any socket on the bolts so it wouldn't slip off.

I wish you the best of luck, I genuinely hope there's room enough to access it, I really can't say as I had all kinds of stuff out of the engine bay at that point.

If you get it done have a drink for me, and if it's not at all like I described, have two.
Old 04-28-13, 10:38 PM
Scuba420
Driver School Candidate

Avanced auto parts lost the mount and i lost the receipt ill let u know how it goes
Old 05-27-13, 09:51 AM
Scuba420
Driver School Candidate

About to attempt it do i really have to remove the axle ?
Old 05-27-13, 10:07 AM
BostonVP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scuba420
About to attempt it do i really have to remove the axle ?
Yes you will have to remove the axle and the whole steering knuckle components. Reason being is because the shaft have to come off, and there no excess to it unless you remove all of that. The process off taking everything about probably be like 1 hr. Now what you want to have while doing this job, so it be a pain and carrying on longer than you have too, maybe even days. You will need to have a block of wood two jack stand and floor jack. The reason why you will need this also, during the process, is because after taking the shaft out, you will find taht it is very difficult to put the shaft back on the in the order along with tthe screw taht holding the mount together due to a tight room that you are deal with and the weight of the engine putting the stress on the mount/shaft. You will have and believe me when i say this, it will make everything go so much smoother, after taken all the component out and replacing the motor mount. Put the block on the floor jack and place it under the oil pan (to prevent and dents) jack it up enough till you get a good clearance of putting the shaft/mount into place. Put the shaft first in of course and proceed with the screw into the mount. Generally this job doesn't really take affect on most car cause these mount can last you over 100k, but once everything is put back in place, you have a sense of urge, that you car will ride alot better. And dont forget to put a something under where the you the axle is coming out, you will lose a good amount of transmission fluid.
Old 05-27-13, 10:58 AM
Scuba420
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your help so axle is def comming off the other day i put the car on stands and put the wood on jack and i jacked up from pan then o was looking at mount and was like how the hell is this comming out lol
Old 05-27-13, 11:01 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am about to do this as well, might as well change the trans fluid while you are there. Just take care when pulling the axle out so it won't separate at the joint

The main issue will be holding the engine, lucky I have the harbor freight engine cross member brace from previous trans swap. It is just time consuming to remove all the chassis bolts.

Inspect the power steering hardlines too, this is best time to replace it.

Jim
Old 05-28-13, 09:29 AM
BostonVP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might not want to lose any off the bolts either, these are very hard to find as you local auto part retail store doesnt sell any. And they are all unique in their way, so keep caustion of that. I wouldnt change the transmission fluid if its new, but if its old than it probably a start. Naturally the amount of fluid thats be wasting during the process isnt as much if it was to be lay over night. If you are quick with your hands after taking out the axle, unbolting the four screw off the shaft and the long screw through the motor mount, you will lose no more than 1 quart.