ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Welcome to Club Lexus! ES owner roll call & introduction thread, POST HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-16, 11:34 AM
raven316
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey ya'll. Just bought a 2002 Lexus ES 300 with 150K on it. It has been taken care of quite nicely. One of the key fob cases is broken so I'll search here to check my options. Otherwise I really like it. I've sold my 2003 Accord that only has 82K on it so I'm hoping that, at $1500, I did ok.
Old 11-27-16, 04:46 PM
DennisCB
Rookie

sounds good
Old 12-21-16, 01:32 AM
DennisCB
Rookie

Merry Christmas all
Old 12-21-16, 08:17 PM
portmobile
Driver School Candidate

Default My 2005 ES 330

Hi everyone!
Recently picked this up a few weeks ago as my first car, this is a 2005 ES 330 w/only 65k miles. Classic Silver Metallic w/gray leather interior. Really love the comfortable ride and supple leather as well as that sweet wood trim.
Attached Thumbnails Welcome to Club Lexus!  ES owner roll call & introduction thread, POST HERE!-img_0009.jpg  
Old 01-26-17, 05:20 AM
DennisCB
Rookie

where is everybody
Old 01-26-17, 06:02 AM
raven316
Driver School Candidate

Default Ugh

Originally Posted by raven316
Hey ya'll. Just bought a 2002 Lexus ES 300 with 150K on it. It has been taken care of quite nicely. One of the key fob cases is broken so I'll search here to check my options. Otherwise I really like it. I've sold my 2003 Accord that only has 82K on it so I'm hoping that, at $1500, I did ok.
Well, I violated my cardinal rule, I bought a car without a buyers check. I knew it would need a timing belt but, over the last month Inbegan to see signs of an oil leak. When I took it to my trusted mechanic he called and said "you are not going to be happy, it's been leaking for quite some time and it needs valve cover gaskets and a number of seals, front brake pads, tires and maybe a power steering pump." I bought it from a good friend and he had it serviced regularly. I'm going to wait a bit but he needs to know that whoever was servicing it did a really crappy job.
Old 01-30-17, 05:44 AM
MDfive21
Driver School Candidate

Well, I violated my cardinal rule, I bought a car without a buyers check. I knew it would need a timing belt but, over the last month Inbegan to see signs of an oil leak. When I took it to my trusted mechanic he called and said "you are not going to be happy, it's been leaking for quite some time and it needs valve cover gaskets and a number of seals, front brake pads, tires and maybe a power steering pump." I bought it from a good friend and he had it serviced regularly. I'm going to wait a bit but he needs to know that whoever was servicing it did a really crappy job.
on the bright side, once you do all that you won't have to do anything for years and thousands of miles. i had to do the same to my 97 ES when i bought it. people don't sell cars that are working perfectly. usually there's deferred or expensive maint that needs to be done and they'd rather sell than pay for maint.
you might also have to do some front suspension work depending on how it was driven.
Old 01-30-17, 06:12 AM
raven316
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MDfive21
on the bright side, once you do all that you won't have to do anything for years and thousands of miles. i had to do the same to my 97 ES when i bought it. people don't sell cars that are working perfectly. usually there's deferred or expensive maint that needs to be done and they'd rather sell than pay for maint.
you might also have to do some front suspension work depending on how it was driven.
You are right except that I sold my Accord with half the mileage and it totally sound condition in order to by this. I bought the lexus from a buddy when he bought a beemer for his wife as "her last car". I'm not that bummed out except at myself for just jumping on it with out checking it out more.
Old 02-02-17, 09:10 AM
SIGG
Driver School Candidate

Hi everyone!

I have a 1998 ES300 that has 184k and needs some love, haha.

My sisters family owned the car from around late-2004 with around 95k on it...I found it for her and it was a creampuff. The original owner had two new Lexus models in his garage when we test drove it.

I borrowed it in 2015 when my car was stolen and ended up buying the ES300 with my insurance money (and left some cash in my pocket). I thought about buying a newer (pre-owned) car later than year and test drove everything from Mazda 3's, Prius, ES330's, Accords, Camry's and an ES350.

I must say the ES300's quiet ride ruined every non Lexus for me. I was astonished at how LOUD some cars were...very annoying on freeway jaunts. I really liked the ES350's power (and timing chain) but loved the ES330's interior. Both cars handling felt more floaty and disconnected than my old ES300's.

I ended up skipping out on buying something newer as I just couldn't find the right car at the right price. I don't know about the rest of the country, but clean Lexus models demand top dollar in my area for the most part, with people demanding KBB retail if not more...and that's not me.

I've been thinking about a small/mid size SUV and really like the look of the 2010+ RX SUV...maybe next year.

My ES300 needs some love, though.

It needs tires and an alignment so I thought I would go ahead and replace whatever may be needed (I'm quite handy) to replenish the suspension. I did brakes, trans fluid changes and PVC last year.

I scored a deal on a set of clean 2002+ ES300 wheels with almost new 70k Toyo tires. I've ordered new KYB struts all around and new front top plates (not KYB).

I need to get it on stands and check axles, ball joints, bushings, tie rods, etc. in the next few days. I should probably go ahead and do ball joints at this age/mileage. Maybe all the other wear pieces too...if the cheap replacements parts I see on Amazon and RockAuto aren't too bad. I also noticed the upper/under hood side engine mount bushing is toast, though the replacement is only $18 on Amazon.

It also needs a front valve cover gasket and I'm sure it could use some spark plugs...oh and some hood struts! Anyone have the OEM part #? The replacements on Amazon and Rock look kind of...

Wow, that sounds like a lot stuff lol. I guess not too bad since it's been rock steady since at least 2004. And I don't mind wrenching for a weekend, I just wish it would warm up a bit in the garage.

If anyone has any tips on the above or other maintenance for this car, I'm all ears!

Last edited by SIGG; 02-02-17 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-02-17, 09:27 AM
SIGG
Driver School Candidate

You are right except that I sold my Accord with half the mileage and it totally sound condition in order to by this. I bought the lexus from a buddy when he bought a beemer for his wife as "her last car". I'm not that bummed out except at myself for just jumping on it with out checking it out more.
Yeah, don't forget a timing belt kit if your mechanic is tearing everything apart. I believe the 99-06 ES models have an interference engine design where if the timing built goes it can destroy part of the engine (valves/pistons) like certain Honda's. But as MDfive21 stated, it will be a solid car. And since you only payed $1,500 for it, even with all repairs done you would still be ahead of what a clean similar ES would go for in my area. I'm also going to assume you sold your Accord for a fair bit more than $1,500.
Old 02-02-17, 09:36 AM
SIGG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by portmobile
Hi everyone!
Recently picked this up a few weeks ago as my first car, this is a 2005 ES 330 w/only 65k miles. Classic Silver Metallic w/gray leather interior. Really love the comfortable ride and supple leather as well as that sweet wood trim.
She's a beauty! I love the interior of the 02-06 ES, feels very, very luxury and classy. Looks nicer than the 07 and 08 ES350 interiors I've sampled, they looked quite cheap in comparison.

If you plan on keeping it don't forget to do the timing belt, water pump and seals when you have the extra cash.

Give me the steering feel of the 97-01, the interior of the 02-06 and the exterior and drive-train of the 07+ and it's the perfect car lol.
Old 02-02-17, 10:30 PM
Beast4eva
Driver School Candidate

New to this! From NJ 2000 Platinum Series... My baby LeXi, hope ya like. Plenty mods coming soon...

Last edited by Beast4eva; 02-02-17 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Forgot to insert picture.
Old 02-06-17, 08:41 PM
WhiteHawk7
Driver School Candidate

Hello everyone! I just got a blue/green/grey 2005 Lexus ES330 on 17" wheels. It has 126k and came with full maintenance records. Extras are HID lights, rear window sunshade (I had no idea they made these!), and heated and cooled seats (love these!). This is an upgrade from my 96' camry, and I'm loving it! I really like the quiet and smooth ride...
Old 02-06-17, 09:28 PM
Corkman
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk7
Hello everyone! I just got a blue/green/grey 2005 Lexus ES330 on 17" wheels. It has 126k and came with full maintenance records. Extras are HID lights, rear window sunshade (I had no idea they made these!), and heated and cooled seats (love these!). This is an upgrade from my 96' camry, and I'm loving it! I really like the quiet and smooth ride...
Welcome to Lexus! Bought my 05 ES all most two years ago and still love it. My wife use to laugh at me when we first got it. I would read something on the forum and run out to the garage to see if our car had this or that feature. Great cars.... Enjoy and post some pictures....
Old 02-17-17, 09:21 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast4eva

New to this! From NJ 2000 Platinum Series... My baby LeXi, hope ya like. Plenty mods coming soon...
Classy! Feel free to PM if you ever have any mod questions.

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! ES owner roll call & introduction thread, POST HERE!