ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

97 ES300 Gas leak :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-13, 10:29 PM
drkandre
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry 97 ES300 Gas leak :(

As the title says, I have a gas leak from somewhere towards the top of the gas tank. It can be seen collecting on the tank just before the back left tire. It only leaks while the car is running. Doesn't matter how much gas is in the tank. Just looking for some opinions and thoughts about the problem. Is it possible it is just a fuel pump or even the fuel filter?
Thanks guys!
Old 04-02-13, 10:47 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

the pump and filters are in the tank so it won't be their problem

it's either your filler neck or your actual tank leaking
Old 04-02-13, 11:24 PM
drkandre
Rookie

Originally Posted by EEngineer
the pump and filters are in the tank so it won't be their problem

it's either your filler neck or your actual tank leaking
Is it possible its leaking from one of the lines coming out from the tank? The filler neck didn't seem to be leaking when I looked at it. I haven't gotten gas for a few days and am at a quarter tank, yet it still leaks when the car is on; lines are pressurized.
Old 04-03-13, 01:03 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

It's probably your fuel pump out-going line. Take off your back seat bottom cushion and pop open the inspection port. You'll be able to see if there are any leaks from the top of the tank.

To remove the seat, just pull up on the front of it. It's held in with these two hooks.

Name:  DSC08322_zpsbda71194.jpg
Views: 5045
Size:  37.7 KB
Old 04-03-13, 06:45 AM
vintagelex
Driver

I remember we had the same problem like 10 years ago. Just have a shop find the piece of leaking line, cut it out, and replace it. I think on ours they actually replaced it with a piece of rubber hose because the rest of the lines were so rusty they could not get a metal piece on... but it's been fine for years.
Old 04-03-13, 11:12 AM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had a similar issue with mine leaking at the pump housing where the lines run. there was a hiarline crack that could barely be seen until the car was on and the the fluid was squirting out.

Charley
Old 04-03-13, 07:59 PM
drkandre
Rookie

Originally Posted by MrBooby
It's probably your fuel pump out-going line. Take off your back seat bottom cushion and pop open the inspection port. You'll be able to see if there are any leaks from the top of the tank.

To remove the seat, just pull up on the front of it. It's held in with these two hooks.

Opened up the port, the top wasn't wet other than the line coming out. That might be the problem. Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-03-13, 08:00 PM
drkandre
Rookie

Thanks for all the help everyone! I appreciate the help!
Old 04-03-13, 08:39 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Did you try running the engine with the cover open?
Old 04-03-13, 10:06 PM
drkandre
Rookie

Did you try running the engine with the cover open?
Not yet, I plan on doing it tomorrow morning!

UPDATE:
I take it replacing the fuel pump would be the easiest option? I was told I could try replacing the O-ring(s) on the line going out from it.
I ran the engine with the cover open and it started flowing heavily from under this metal cover on the pump:
97 ES300 Gas leak :(-lbpq2gi.jpg

Last edited by drkandre; 04-04-13 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-08-13, 08:28 PM
drkandre
Rookie

It turns out the leak was from the top of the fuel pump assembly, on the line going out. I ordered a used one from eBay, for $80 in great condition, and was scheduled to arrive on Thursday. Was happily surprised when it showed 3 days early. Going to install tomorrow and hopefully I don't create any problems
Old 04-08-13, 10:46 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was the same problem i had, a new 1 from toyota was $120 or so. I bet its the plastic portion.
Goodluck
Old 04-08-13, 11:30 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

There is a little plastic clip inside the line, that keeps it attached to the fuel pump outlet. The service manual says to replace the clip everytime the line is disconnected. Yours might be worn out, which is weird because I reused mine plenty of times with no issues.

You can remove that metal bracket(two 8mm bolts) and you will see what I was talking about. You won't know what's leaking until you remove the bracket, that's for sure.

Note: Be VERY careful with those 8mm bolts. You won't be able to fish them out if they fall in between the body and the top of the fuel tank.
Old 04-09-13, 08:50 AM
drkandre
Rookie

There is a little plastic clip inside the line, that keeps it attached to the fuel pump outlet. The service manual says to replace the clip everytime the line is disconnected. Yours might be worn out, which is weird because I reused mine plenty of times with no issues.

You can remove that metal bracket(two 8mm bolts) and you will see what I was talking about. You won't know what's leaking until you remove the bracket, that's for sure.

Note: Be VERY careful with those 8mm bolts. You won't be able to fish them out if they fall in between the body and the top of the fuel tank.
Thanks for the tips. I forgot to post a pick of where it was leaking under that bracket :/ It is not the clip, but just before it. A hairline crack spewing gas. More pics today after install.
Old 04-09-13, 08:54 AM
drkandre
Rookie

Originally Posted by charley240
That was the same problem i had, a new 1 from toyota was $120 or so. I bet its the plastic portion.
Goodluck
You would be right! Its the plastic piece just before the line connects. Took the bracket off, ran the car for a second or two, and gas shot up like a fountain...

Quick Reply: 97 ES300 Gas leak :(